Next test for Station Agent or any job I can get to work my way up to T/O?

Lawrence St

6 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

Hi, I finished high school last year and I'm looking to get a job within MTA asap. What upcoming exams can I take that can get me in MTA first, and when is the next Station Agent exam?

Thanks,

L

The current Station Agent Exam 6600 has not been certified yet, and given what I see on the road, Station Agent might not be the career path I would suggest for someone fresh out of High School.

There was an internal survey and given the examples of questions and expectations of the position, some prior customer service experience is required.  Exam 6600 required 18 months of customer service experience.

Additionally, in my interactions, the path of the Station Agent position at this moment seems primed to reclassified employees who are no longer able to perform their original duties due to medical reasons and are supplemented by the actual civil service exams.

The position itself will undergo a major change of its primary duties, given the MTA's focus on excluding itself from the responsibility of collecting revenue by 2023.  I am not attempting to fully discourage you from applying to become a Station Agent, but keep an open mind to other positions as well.  Conductor and Track Worker are the two other positions that come to mind regarding not having a requisite of post secondary education.

45 minutes ago, Dave2836 said:

The current Station Agent Exam 6600 has not been certified yet, and given what I see on the road, Station Agent might not be the career path I would suggest for someone fresh out of High School.

There was an internal survey and given the examples of questions and expectations of the position, some prior customer service experience is required.  Exam 6600 required 18 months of customer service experience.

Additionally, in my interactions, the path of the Station Agent position at this moment seems primed to reclassified employees who are no longer able to perform their original duties due to medical reasons and are supplemented by the actual civil service exams.

The position itself will undergo a major change of its primary duties, given the MTA's focus on excluding itself from the responsibility of collecting revenue by 2023.  I am not attempting to fully discourage you from applying to become a Station Agent, but keep an open mind to other positions as well.  Conductor and Track Worker are the two other positions that come to mind regarding not having a requisite of post secondary education.

What about station cleaner? I'm just trying to get any position I can to get in.

40 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

What about station cleaner? I'm just trying to get any position I can to get in.

The station cleaners I've met fall into four categories

WEP - Work Experience Program, a program to give employment opportunities and learn skills for their careers.  Last I heard, NYCT no longer participates in the WEP.

Taken from an expiring list - I've met cleaners who had taken the recent track worker 3600 and conductors 8094 tests, however their list numbers were extraordinarily high.  Transit felt they were deserving of an opportunity for employment and offered them a cleaner job.  A few of cleaners I've met from this category have advanced into their original tested position or were offered a promotion to Station Agent.

Demotion - When an employee violates a rule, or rules, it is not uncommon for the resulting displinary action to include a demotion to cleaner.

Unfortunates - this category includes the employees who were laid off 9 years ago and were reemployed as cleaner, or were out sick for an extended period of time with a life altering event (met some who had chronic life threatening diseases and had to take an extended leave of absence from their original position for more than a year.)

Take ALL the tests.  Even the ones you might not qualify for.  Acquire as much knowledge as you can, build up that resume.

8 hours ago, Dave2836 said:

The station cleaners I've met fall into four categories

WEP - Work Experience Program, a program to give employment opportunities and learn skills for their careers.  Last I heard, NYCT no longer participates in the WEP.

Taken from an expiring list - I've met cleaners who had taken the recent track worker 3600 and conductors 8094 tests, however their list numbers were extraordinarily high.  Transit felt they were deserving of an opportunity for employment and offered them a cleaner job.  A few of cleaners I've met from this category have advanced into their original tested position or were offered a promotion to Station Agent.

Demotion - When an employee violates a rule, or rules, it is not uncommon for the resulting displinary action to include a demotion to cleaner.

Unfortunates - this category includes the employees who were laid off 9 years ago and were reemployed as cleaner, or were out sick for an extended period of time with a life altering event (met some who had chronic life threatening diseases and had to take an extended leave of absence from their original position for more than a year.)

Take ALL the tests.  Even the ones you might not qualify for.  Acquire as much knowledge as you can, build up that resume.

Alright.

On 3/3/2018 at 3:04 PM, Lawrence St said:

Hi, I finished high school last year and I'm looking to get a job within MTA asap. What upcoming exams can I take that can get me in MTA first?

Although the information that was previously posted was very good and well said, this is my two cents:

Have you considered a Bus Operator position? Within the MTA, there are three companies: MTA Bus Company, MaBSTOA and NYC Transit. Providing you get into either MTA Bus Company or MaBSTOA, you can take the civil service exam for NYC Transit and then do a transfer without going through the intense 10-day training session a second time. Once you get into NYC Transit, you can take a promotion to dispatcher, train operator, etc.

Just something to think about...

2 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

I would love to be a B/O, I'm just waiting for the exams to pop up as I've been waiting for something like C/O, B/O or station cleaner to come up since September.

Let's see if transit offers the C/R exam 6 months from now in September. It would be 4 years since the last time it was offered.

6 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

I hope but in all honesty I'm trying to get whatever position I can. What are some entry level positions that are offered faster?

There are a few entry-level positions offered by MTA NYCT and MaBSTOA that do not require work experience such as: Bus Operator, Conductor, Track Worker, and Traffic Checker. However, the corresponding N.O.E.'s for all of these positions except for Conductor have been offered in 2017 and will most likely take a few years before they are available again.

17 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

I hope but in all honesty I'm trying to get whatever position I can. What are some entry level positions that are offered faster?

Also, don't forget to take a look at DCAS*: http://www.nyc.gov/html/dcas/html/work/exam_monthly.shtml

*They offer civil service exams outside of transit, some of which may require no work experience.

June 2017 – June 2018 Exam Schedule:

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dcas/downloads/pdf/misc/yearly_examschedule.pdf

2 hours ago, AlgorithmOfTruth said:

Let's see if transit offers the C/R exam 6 months from now in September. It would be 4 years since the last time it was offered.

6 months? Try 6 years. Conductor exam 8094 was given in 2008, the following exam 6601 was given in 2016 and they haven't even started hiring feom it yet.

OP, as someone else stated earlier take all the exams you qualify for and don't limit yourself to transit. I'd also suggest pursuing an AA degree at a CUNY while you wait to give yourself even more options. These exams are a long process.

• 3 months later...

Archived