New Site Maps Out Subway Delays In Real-Time

Eric B

http://www.ny1.com/nyc/all-boroughs/news/2018/03/06/new-subway-delays-map-lights-the-way

http://realmta.info/

Nice idea, but he's using an old map not showing the (M) viaduct work.  Right now, it's showing everything out except the 7th and 8th Ave. lines and the (G) and (J) . It's been this way for several hours. When I first looked at it, it was just the (&), and then that came back and the (J) went out. That then came back, but all those other lines went out. 

It seems to be whole lines that go out. Would be nice if he could have parts of lines. Someone else once showed me an app in development that IIRC used something like RYG colored elements like they have for roads.

28 minutes ago, Eric B said:

It seems to be whole lines that go out. Would be nice if he could have parts of lines. Someone else once showed me an app in development that IIRC used something like RYG colored elements like they have for roads.

Hit the nail on the head for me. Sorry but the (B) running local for three stops is not at all the equivalent of the entirety of the (B)(D)(F)(M) being out.

It's a nice effort, but work needs to be done in order to make this any useful. I agree with the above comments on how service changes remove the entire line from the map. With the ongoing Myrtle Ave work for instance, the 6th Avenue line will never be on under the parameters set. I'd like to see something that automatically takes off Dyre Ave when a tree falls on the line, just to use an example.

2 minutes ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

Additionally, it would be nice to have a real-time subway map when there is a delay. Although I guess that would be too unrealistic to expect, given all the planned work and unplanned service changes which can happen simultaneously.

I don't think that's impossible, but it would require a lot of coding knowledge (something I'll admit I'm not that familiar with). I do know that's how third-party apps like CityMapper and Transit give users real-time directions, so creating a real-time map using that same information shouldn't be too difficult. Time-consuming no doubt, but not impossible.

3 hours ago, Eric B said:

http://www.ny1.com/nyc/all-boroughs/news/2018/03/06/new-subway-delays-map-lights-the-way

http://realmta.info/

Nice idea, but he's using an old map not showing the (M) viaduct work.  Right now, it's showing everything out except the 7th and 8th Ave. lines and the (G) and (J) . It's been this way for several hours. When I first looked at it, it was just the (&), and then that came back and the (J) went out. That then came back, but all those other lines went out. 

It's not a bad idea and I had a similar idea that should be installed system wide. It just needs enhancements so that it can show the exact delay, what happened, and a proper reroute or a warning strip indicating that trains run with slower speeds. I think you all get what I'm trying to say.

5 hours ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

Additionally, it would be nice to have a real-time subway map when there is a delay. Although I guess that would be too unrealistic to expect, given all the planned work and unplanned service changes which can happen simultaneously.

The MTA itself must provide timely and accurate data in a parseable format for it to work.

Here's a problem I foresee with this;

What if there's a service change that causes a train in one direction to run express (like uptown (3) trains running express from Burnside to Woodlawn while downtown trains run normally, how would that show up on this map.)

Archived