SI Express Bus Plan Out!

Union Tpke

25 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

Bay Ridge, Bensonhurst and Seagate don't need to have a study nor to have their destination signs changed. All this Staten Island bus study is pure bullshit. They could of kept the X- prefix which is for NYCT (MTA).  What's not broken needs to be fixed.

Even myself, former express rider would EASILY get confused with the new prefixes out on Staten Island. I would encourage the people of Staten Island to fight for their bus service.  The (MTA) is really feeding so much bologni with this study 😂.  

I for the life of me can't understand why they are encouraging more people to get in their cars to drive to park-and-rides and drive in general. How is that supposed to be better for the borough to have even more cars on the road during rush hour clogging up the very streets that these express buses will use to supposedly speed up service...

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a proposed plan and they're having open houses to try and fix it before it goes into affect. 

I'm hearing complaints along the line of off peak no service which is something I think that could be fixed via the open house but most of all its the changing of the acronym from X to SIM. To me that isn't much of a big deal. You're overhauling a system why would you use the same thing as X? That would confuse residents. You're going to have people thinking some of these old bus lines exist or go by the same way. If they have SIM1 a passenger would be more inclined to know where it goes opposed to having X1 and a passenger might think it goes on its old route or worse a new passenger who has an older bus map might think X1 goes to where it used to travel instead of learning X1 is now SIM16. (I'm using these numbers as examples) I think changing the names from X to SIM is much more common sense. Its not different from BM, QM, BxM its still an express bus. 

Then park and ride isn't a bad idea. You drive to an area to take the bus straight into the city. We're a big city and believe it or not a lot of people do park and ride. Avoiding taking or driving to a congested area like Manhattan. 

Do you think if they redid everything and kept the X- prefix after what like 25-30  years of people being used to the X1 via Hyland that if let's say it with the new plan it took the X22 route to Tottenville do you think that would be more confusing? I guess just from a planning standpoint it forces everyone to start over and forget everything they knew fresh start from square one again kinda smart from a psychological standpoint. I kinda get that POV just playing devil's advocate. As a planner, you can start with a clean slate and not be trapped by expectations.

8 hours ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

My thoughts on the restructuring: http://checkmatechamp1.blogspot.com/2018/03/update-on-staten-island-express-bus.html

Apparently they do since they're designed to stop at the park-and-rides. The thing is, the South Beach Park-and-Ride has no off-peak express service under this plan, which (as if it weren't in such an isolated location already) basically guarantees those buses will be empty. 

I believe you guys are looking at it wrong. I think the way the new SIM5x and SIM6x works is that they will start at their original terminals, and make ALL stops until they reach the Father Capp P&R, then its a straight shot to Manhattan. Same thing with the SIM8x, starts at its terminal, then makes all stops until the end of the mall, then a straight shot to the city. 

I honestly don’t see that much of a difference since they’ll only be skipping 3 stops? The SIM8x seems like a nice route. 

6 hours ago, Brillant93 said:

This is a proposed plan and they're having open houses to try and fix it before it goes into affect. 

I'm hearing complaints along the line of off peak no service which is something I think that could be fixed via the open house but most of all its the changing of the acronym from X to SIM. To me that isn't much of a big deal. You're overhauling a system why would you use the same thing as X? That would confuse residents. You're going to have people thinking some of these old bus lines exist or go by the same way. If they have SIM1 a passenger would be more inclined to know where it goes opposed to having X1 and a passenger might think it goes on its old route or worse a new passenger who has an older bus map might think X1 goes to where it used to travel instead of learning X1 is now SIM16. (I'm using these numbers as examples) I think changing the names from X to SIM is much more common sense. Its not different from BM, QM, BxM its still an express bus. 

Then park and ride isn't a bad idea. You drive to an area to take the bus straight into the city. We're a big city and believe it or not a lot of people do park and ride. Avoiding taking or driving to a congested area like Manhattan. 

I agree, I’m looking at it as our own little LIRR map. Take the car to the station park and ride and take the bus to the city, just like what LIRR commuters do. They NEED to build more park and rides though. 

*Sorry for multiple post, I’m on mobile*

The SiM5X is more or less the old X20. Given how that service was run, and without any info on how frequent these buses would run, ridership will be anywhere from somewhat full to full of air. All the other super express buses may have a better chance (the midtown ones), but wouldn't it make sense to have the supers continue further down the line, in order to distribute loads more evenly?

There also needs to be off-peak service on this SiM2 to Midtown as well, not just Downtown. 

24 minutes ago, BreeddekalbL said:

I do hope that the politicians on si and people mobilize against this

I’m unmoved - likely bc living by the ferry I have no reason to take an express bus.

But let them screw up the local buses and I’m gonna be like 

Ehhhhhh...Not a fan of renaming the SI express routes from X to SIM and renumbering the routes to boot, the whole SIM thing along with renumbering the routes has me like HByB4I6.png why, just why!?

Then again, as a huge fan of the old PBL's its kinda cool to see NYCT take an page from the PBL's book even if its small as bus route prefixes 

All in all this GIF sums up how I feel about the whole situation

a3gnpk.jpg

looks as if they’re getting ready to intergrate NYCT into MTA Bus I thought it was supposed to be the other way around I dislike the Borough designation the X designation stands out denoting it as an express bus route and there is a wide range of numbers that they can possible use Ex. X1-X92 I remember when the West Side Depot now MJQ had the  X91 X92

4 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

Bay Ridge, Bensonhurst and Seagate don't need to have a study nor to have their destination signs changed. All this Staten Island bus study is pure bullshit. They could of kept the X- prefix which is for NYCT (MTA).  What's not broken needs to be fixed.

Even myself, former express rider would EASILY get confused with the new prefixes out on Staten Island. I would encourage the people of Staten Island to fight for their bus service.  The (MTA) is really feeding so much bologni with this study 😂.  

The only part of the network that needed reconfiguring was the deep south shore network, large in part, due to the way the x23/24 serves the market & the way the x17/19/21/22 serves the market..... Current North Shore network OTOH, for starters, needs more service on those routes; it's the main reason you have as many of those residents making their way to Hylan.....

Reconfiguring the entire express bus network in SI reeks to me of eventual cuts.....

3 hours ago, RailRunRob said:

Do you think if they redid everything and kept the X- prefix after what like 25-30  years of people being used to the X1 via Hyland that if let's say it with the new plan it took the X22 route to Tottenville do you think that would be more confusing? I guess just from a planning standpoint it forces everyone to start over and forget everything they knew fresh start from square one again kinda smart from a psychological standpoint. I kinda get that POV just playing devil's advocate. As a planner, you can start with a clean slate and not be trapped by expectations.

Using your example, there would be no need to re-enumerate the x22 to the x1 if it's already the x22 route to Tottenville.... You would simply leave it as the x22.

Anything else with any type of a routing change would get an un-used route number, instead of any existing route number.... So again, if I were to use your example, if you were just hell bent on re-enumerating the x22 for whatever reason, you'd choose some other number, like x50 or something.... Using a current route number is what would cause the confusion in that scenario....

"SIM" is something else altogether, It's the attempt of being on par with the whole "BM", "QM", "BxM" theme in the other outerboroughs.... One would think would a new prefix, would come with a sequential numbering system from SIM1 to SIM21 (since there are what, 21 routes here), but instead, after SIM8 is SIM10, then SIM15, then SIM22.... Like, if this a brand new reconfiguration, where the heck is SIM9, SIM16,17,18,19,20,21....

Also there's no drop off on 6th Av between Worth St & Houston Sts and 14th & 23rd Sts.

I don't think there's room for SI express buses to be pick up along 5th Av.

Also there's no pickup at 59th St/6th Av, 50th St/6th Av and no pickup on 7th Av between 57th & 50th Sts, well as Park Av South and 14th St and Broadway between Houston and Worst Sts.

I seen lots of people getting on bus on Broadway at Houston Sts.

SI express Buses riders on MTA and Academy X23/X24 bus will be confusing.

I also think SiM3 will be mistaken for BM3 or BxM3.

11 hours ago, BusOperator3319 said:

looks as if they’re getting ready to intergrate NYCT into MTA Bus I thought it was supposed to be the other way around I dislike the Borough designation the X designation stands out denoting it as an express bus route and there is a wide range of numbers that they can possible use Ex. X1-X92 I remember when the West Side Depot now MJQ had the  X91 X92

I'm starting to feel the same way. The intergration is pretty much on the horizon. 

However, there are kinks that need to be ironed out and honestly the X prefix should still be there for TA. If you want good premium service make the necessary changes within the network of available Xpress lines by adding new ones and streamline service. I'm going to do some homework on this for this weekend.  Hopefully, I get a better understanding on how these new routes will work. 

12 hours ago, BusOperator3319 said:

It makes sense to me to have the two borough prefix. BM, QM, BxM, and SiM. Manhattan is a hub so marking buses with M at the end is great. Maybe the X buses in Brooklyn can turn into BM6-8?

20 hours ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

I believe you guys are looking at it wrong. I think the way the new SIM5x and SIM6x works is that they will start at their original terminals, and make ALL stops until they reach the Father Capp P&R, then its a straight shot to Manhattan. Same thing with the SIM8x, starts at its terminal, then makes all stops until the end of the mall, then a straight shot to the city. 

No we have it exactly right. Those super express trips will make ONE pick-up at a park-and-ride and go straight to Manhattan.  There are a few express bus lines that operate this way for the QM lines (Super Express QM2s QM8s and QM20s).  They make one pick-up in Manhattan and go straight to Queens.

I still think this is going to put more people in their cars and cause more congestion.  They're trying to speed up service but by removing stops and removing routes entirely, some will be forced to either drive or make additional transfers, and we both know that most people won't want to make additional transfers, so they'll drive.

The devil is still in the details because we don't know what the schedules will look like in terms of frequency. They claim they received $1 million dollars to increase service.  That's freaking peanuts... I also would like to know what all of this restructuring is supposed to do in terms of savings for the (MTA) and if they're reinvesting those savings back into more frequent service?  Sure, there's supposedly more off-peak and weekend service, but we don't know how much yet.  

This is the second study that I've seen in reference to the STATEN ISLAND X bus routes. Last time, I recalled that someone had posted one that would discontinue some of the routes and have them divided into two catagories: Downtown and Midtown. But since that went away like flies due to protest and activists saying that the routes couldn't get to where they were going. This one completely left out Billionaire's Row between 11th & 7th Aves. (currently served by the X12/14/30/42)

Btw: "SIM" can be referenced to "SIM City" computer games.  

14 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

"SIM" is something else altogether, It's the attempt of being on par with the whole "BM", "QM", "BxM" theme in the other outerboroughs.... One would think would a new prefix, would come with a sequential numbering system from SIM1 to SIM21 (since there are what, 21 routes here), but instead, after SIM8 is SIM10, then SIM15, then SIM22.... Like, if this a brand new reconfiguration, where the heck is SIM9, SIM16,17,18,19,20,21....

I was just about to ask the same question

18 hours ago, BusOperator3319 said:

You mean X90. There was never a X91

On 3/7/2018 at 5:31 PM, Dan1 said:

The express routes are of more concern to Staten Islanders, but I wonder if the release of the express bus route plans means that the local bus route plans are to be released soon? The SI bus study began two years ago.

At the meetings, the MTA officials said that they had no idea on a timeline for the local study. Hopefully they start on it after the express routes are implemented (of course, they should monitor the new express routes and see how they're doing, but I don't want that to delay the local study further).

On 3/7/2018 at 6:17 PM, Future ENY OP said:

I wouldn't say it wasn't broken before. But at the same time, having spent over 2 years on this study (it'll be 3 years by the time it's actually implemented), I was expecting better results.

They should've brought different alternatives for both peak and off-peak service to the table. Set up say, 4 different detailed proposals and said "Here's the routes and the frequencies and spans that we can offer on the same budget. Which one do you prefer?". Then people get to see the trade-offs and can make a more informed decision. 

Instead, they brought a vague proposal to the table in October ("Here's the rush hour routes, no details on what the span or frequency will be"), then when people complained about the loss of service to certain areas, they scraped together a new plan and said "This is what we're implementing in August, nice seeing you".

On 3/7/2018 at 7:01 PM, Brillant93 said:

The problem is that we're being very little time to comment. The open houses start next week, and then they plan to present it at the April Committee meeting and have it implemented in August. They can make little tweaks, but I don't think they're going to go back and make a complete overhaul.

It's not the use of park-and-rides in and of themselves that's a dumb idea. It's the fact that these super-express buses are entirely dependent on them as a source of ridership. For example, even the X22A didn't/doesn't entirely depend on the Outerbridge Park-and-Ride as a source of ridership. It picked up people in Tottenville & Pleasant Plains, and then continued picking up people at Arthur Kill Road & Victory Blvd. These SIM5/SIM6 super-express buses would literally be analogous to having the X22A make one single stop at the Outerbridge Park-and-Ride and go nonstop to Manhattan while the regular X22 continued making all local stops.

If the setup was as @XcelsiorBoii4888 described them, it would make some sense. If some buses just skipped the last 3 stops after the South Beach Park-and-Ride, then even if they didn't pick up too many people at the park-and-ride, they would still have all the people from the South Shore & Mid-Island areas. (Even then, I think it's too much trouble just for the sake of skipping 3 stops. Worse comes to worse, if a bus is full and bunched up, just have it put up "Next Bus Please" and call it a day). The worst part is, using those super-express buses in that way means that there's fewer buses available for the core route, which means you end up with overcrowding, flagging, and ultimately, losing ridership.

The SIM4/8 make a little more sense, since the SI Mall is served by an off-peak express bus under that plan (and also, there's a lot more stops between the SI Mall and the SI Expressway compared to between South Beach and the Verrazanno Narrows Bridge). But even then, it would make more sense to have those super-express buses run nonstop to the SI Mall and continue down to the ETC, while short-turns start at the SI Mall and continue north.

The other thing is that, in October, they advertised the new system as (supposedly) being simple and frequent. You show up to the stop, and instead of having 2-3 infrequent routes, you just have one simple, frequent route that brings you to your stop. With these super-expresses, the only way to fill them up would be to make them like the X22A and run 4 trips a day every half hour....unless they do what I hope they don't and divide service evenly between the core route and super-express.

On 3/7/2018 at 7:10 PM, RailRunRob said:

The thing is that in the end, the changes still have the core components of most of the routes. For example, the SIM32 is literally the X11, and the SIM4 is literally the X17A. The SIM23/24 are still operated by Academy bus, so the MTA recognizes that those routes bear resemblance to the X23/24 (personally, I think they should've switched it, since the SIM23 down Arden strongly resembles the X24 and doesn't resemble the X23 aside from taking Arthur Kill Road for one stop to reach Arden Avenue).

On 3/7/2018 at 7:15 PM, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

I honestly don’t see that much of a difference since they’ll only be skipping 3 stops? The SIM8x seems like a nice route. 

Hopefully you're right, but I think it's the opposite.

On 3/7/2018 at 7:24 PM, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

The SiM5X is more or less the old X20. Given how that service was run, and without any info on how frequent these buses would run, ridership will be anywhere from somewhat full to full of air. All the other super express buses may have a better chance (the midtown ones), but wouldn't it make sense to have the supers continue further down the line, in order to distribute loads more evenly?

There also needs to be off-peak service on this SiM2 to Midtown as well, not just Downtown. 

It's worse than the X20. The old X20 at least hit some of the major stops along the service road (Hylan & Narrows and Narrows & Fingerboard), so it had a guaranteed source of ridership. (Also, the X20 only served the park-and-ride for its last few months of operation. Prior to that, it operated similar to the X18, with the last stop being Narrows & Fingerboard in the evening)

And considering all the parades in Midtown, I would argue the opposite: Those buses get delayed so often due to issues in Midtown that it would improve reliability tremendously if buses started Downtown (and if the savings were reinvested into either more frequent service, or more coverage on the Staten Island end). Granted, the subway has its issues with weekend work, but overall, I think travel times would be more reliable if buses started at Worth Street. 

9 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

No we have it exactly right. Those super express trips will make ONE pick-up at a park-and-ride and go straight to Manhattan.  There are a few express bus lines that operate this way for the QM lines (Super Express QM2s QM8s and QM20s).  They make one pick-up in Manhattan and go straight to Queens.

I still think this is going to put more people in their cars and cause more congestion.  They're trying to speed up service but by removing stops and removing routes entirely, some will be forced to either drive or make additional transfers, and we both know that most people won't want to make additional transfers, so they'll drive.

The devil is still in the details because we don't know what the schedules will look like in terms of frequency. They claim they received $1 million dollars to increase service.  That's freaking peanuts... I also would like to know what all of this restructuring is supposed to do in terms of savings for the (MTA) and if they're reinvesting those savings back into more frequent service?  Sure, there's supposedly more off-peak and weekend service, but we don't know how much yet.  

The difference is that those buses have their one single stop on the Manhattan end. The closest resemblance would be those BxM7 AM trips that start from the different sections of Co-Op City.

5 hours ago, FLX9304 said:

This is the second study that I've seen in reference to the STATEN ISLAND X bus routes. Last time, I recalled that someone had posted one that would discontinue some of the routes and have them divided into two catagories: Downtown and Midtown. But since that went away like flies due to protest and activists saying that the routes couldn't get to where they were going. This one completely left out Billionaire's Row between 11th & 7th Aves. (currently served by the X12/14/30/42)

Btw: "SIM" can be referenced to "SIM City" computer games.  

The same applies to the routes that no longer terminate at 57th & 3rd on the East Side.

That being said, I thought of one way to potentially keep the direct off-peak ride from Bulls Head to Manhattan: The SIM2 (basically the X19) would run up Victory Blvd and Richmond Avenue to reach the SIE, rather than just going up the West Shore Expressway. Geographically, it's more direct (since Victory Blvd heads northeast from Travis to Bulls Head), and it's only 5 extra stops. Also (and this is definitely an issue at certain times on the weekends), if there's a backup heading to/from the Goethals Bridge or on the West Shore Expressway (e.g. Sunday nights), the buses are out of the way anyway.

Alternatively, the SIM4 (X17) can keep its current route to Lamberts Lane, and have the SIM2 (X19) cover Gannon Avenue, but I think that would make it longer for South Shore riders).

The other question is: Would any route stop at 86th Street in Brooklyn? A decent amount of people use it for Brooklyn-SI travel, and there's no easy alternative, especially since the S93 doesn't run on weekends.

6 hours ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

At the meetings, the MTA officials said that they had no idea on a timeline for the local study. Hopefully they start on it after the express routes are implemented (of course, they should monitor the new express routes and see how they're doing, but I don't want that to delay the local study further).

I wouldn't say it wasn't broken before. But at the same time, having spent over 2 years on this study (it'll be 3 years by the time it's actually implemented), I was expecting better results.

They should've brought different alternatives for both peak and off-peak service to the table. Set up say, 4 different detailed proposals and said "Here's the routes and the frequencies and spans that we can offer on the same budget. Which one do you prefer?". Then people get to see the trade-offs and can make a more informed decision. 

Instead, they brought a vague proposal to the table in October ("Here's the rush hour routes, no details on what the span or frequency will be"), then when people complained about the loss of service to certain areas, they scraped together a new plan and said "This is what we're implementing in August, nice seeing you".

The problem is that we're being very little time to comment. The open houses start next week, and then they plan to present it at the April Committee meeting and have it implemented in August. They can make little tweaks, but I don't think they're going to go back and make a complete overhaul.

It's not the use of park-and-rides in and of themselves that's a dumb idea. It's the fact that these super-express buses are entirely dependent on them as a source of ridership. For example, even the X22A didn't/doesn't entirely depend on the Outerbridge Park-and-Ride as a source of ridership. It picked up people in Tottenville & Pleasant Plains, and then continued picking up people at Arthur Kill Road & Victory Blvd. These SIM5/SIM6 super-express buses would literally be analogous to having the X22A make one single stop at the Outerbridge Park-and-Ride and go nonstop to Manhattan while the regular X22 continued making all local stops.

If the setup was as @XcelsiorBoii4888 described them, it would make some sense. If some buses just skipped the last 3 stops after the South Beach Park-and-Ride, then even if they didn't pick up too many people at the park-and-ride, they would still have all the people from the South Shore & Mid-Island areas. (Even then, I think it's too much trouble just for the sake of skipping 3 stops. Worse comes to worse, if a bus is full and bunched up, just have it put up "Next Bus Please" and call it a day). The worst part is, using those super-express buses in that way means that there's fewer buses available for the core route, which means you end up with overcrowding, flagging, and ultimately, losing ridership.

That’s the point of making a system faster. You park your car at a key location and take a bus nonstop to the city instead of going on a tour. Staten Island is very underserved by a subway so it would make more sense to treat a bus network like greyhound or other coach companies. You can’t really treat express buses like express buses while making several stops in a bourough. It’s not that much of an express. Park and ride is giving people options. 

5 hours ago, Brillant93 said:

That’s the point of making a system faster. You park your car at a key location and take a bus nonstop to the city instead of going on a tour. Staten Island is very underserved by a subway so it would make more sense to treat a bus network like greyhound or other coach companies. You can’t really treat express buses like express buses while making several stops in a bourough. It’s not that much of an express. Park and ride is giving people options. 

You're missing my whole point. Re-read what I said. I never said I was against the idea of park-and-rides.

@checkmatechamp13 What are your predictions on what depot assignments will the SIM routes get, since there are 21 routes. who will go to where? known depots will be that SIM1 will be Yukon, SIM3 will be in Castleton, SIM2 would be out of Charleston and SIM30 out of Meredith. What will be the outlook on the predicted assignments?

Archived