Queens Boulevard Will See Linear Park, Q60 Bus to Run on Median Under DOT’s Ambitious Plan

Cait Sith

https://foresthillspost.com/queens-boulevard-will-see-linear-park-q60-bus-run-median-dots-ambitious-plan

Click on the link for the story.....too lazy to do a copy-paste.

Not a fan of this at all. Q60 on the median may sound nice and all, but this is only going to increase the traffic problems on an already congested blvd.....get rid of those damn bike lanes that people hardly ever use for f**ks sake.

29 minutes ago, Cait Sith said:

https://foresthillspost.com/queens-boulevard-will-see-linear-park-q60-bus-run-median-dots-ambitious-plan

Click on the link for the story.....too lazy to do a copy-paste.

Not a fan of this at all. Q60 on the median may sound nice and all, but this is only going to increase the traffic problems on an already congested blvd.....get rid of those damn bike lanes that people hardly ever use for f**ks sake.

I've seen people use them. I can count the number on one hand.

...yeah, this is stupid. Let's make people cross the street to get to the bus! Let's have a so-called park directly in the middle of a road where no one likes walking anyway! This is car control, not beautification.

They should have rebuilt the medians for a walkway and bike lane, like Ocean Parkway in Brooklyn. Leave the Q60 in the local service road and return parking spots to the left side of the service road instead of it being a bike lane that is hardly used. For the city to take away a lane from the main lane to make a bus lane makes no sense and to turn Queens Blvd into a traffic nightmare makes no sense.  

I don’t see what’s the problem. The bus inside the medium would help it go faster. Taking it off the service road would add more parking space. It seems they’re adding instead of taking away. 

Like literally nothing from this is a disadvantage for anyone, not to me. 

Not this again....

At BEST, whether the Q60 travels along the main road or the service road - is a case of "pick your poison".... Neither is any better than the other, so they may as well leave buses snailing along & getting impeded by double-parked delivery trucks/vans (or any other vehicle) along the service road...... If safety is to be the #1 concern, then they'd be foolish to have people crossing the service roads & waiting on the islands there (b/w the service road & the main road) for Q60's.....

....and yeah, the bike lanes have to go... like, yesterday.

12 minutes ago, IAlam said:

I feel like the real winners of this would be the Queens express buses. 

Amen. I don't care if they implement a bus lane from hillside to queens plaza, i don't see any benefit for the Q60. That line will still bunch & crawl. Those paddles are atrocious.

31 minutes ago, Q43LTD said:

Is this Queens Boulevard or Pelham Parkway? This is an epic fail

Queens Boulevard is the Pelham Parkway of Queens. Nice try though.

Either way, I'm in support. As a guy who bikes in the city and realizes the danger. The fact that I can follow the rules and come so close to death so many times is ridiculous.

Why? Cars seem to be unaware that my rights and their rights on the road are similar. The amount of people who don't properly use their mirrors is appalling. ESPECIALLY TAXIS AND CABS.

40 minutes ago, LTA1992 said:

Either way, I'm in support. As a guy who bikes in the city and realizes the danger. The fact that I can follow the rules and come so close to death so many times is ridiculous.

Why? Cars seem to be unaware that my rights and their rights on the road are similar. The amount of people who don't properly use their mirrors is appalling. ESPECIALLY TAXIS AND CABS.

If motorists are the problem, then the mayor should push for motorists to go back to the DMV and relearn the rules of the road. Redesigning Queens Blvd to be pedestrian friendly isn't going to stop drivers from being reckless in major streets, especially once they reach outside city limits and start driving erratically on Hempstead Turnpike, Jericho Turnpike, Merrick Road, and Sunrise Highway. 

9 minutes ago, NY1635 said:

If motorists are the problem, then the mayor should push for motorists to go back to the DMV and relearn the rules of the road. Redesigning Queens Blvd to be pedestrian friendly isn't going to stop drivers from being reckless in major streets, especially once they reach outside city limits and start driving erratically on Hempstead Turnpike, Jericho Turnpike, Merrick Road, and Sunrise Highway. 

Except this is a city where a majority of the population does NOT own a car. Why should we NOT do the sensible thing and make streets more pedestrian and bike friendly? How can any of you people even think that way?

Last I checked, the safety of the people is one of the most important responsibilities of the City. Nassau County has absolutely NOTHING to do with this issue so I have no clue why you even brought it up. The suburbs aren't pedestrian friendly anyway. They were built by the car and for the car. NYC was not and still is not. It was built by public transportation and we are the only city in the United States that is.

Compared to the rest of America, we may as well be in Europe.

Just now, LTA1992 said:

Except this is a city where a majority of the population does NOT own a car. Why should we NOT do the sensible thing and make streets more pedestrian and bike friendly? How can any of you people even think that way?

Last I checked, the safety of the people is one of the most important responsibilities of the City. Nassau County has absolutely NOTHING to do with this issue so I have no clue why you even brought it up. The suburbs aren't pedestrian friendly anyway. They were built by the car and for the car. NYC was not and still is not.

Simple, nobody wants to enforce the laws to ensure that the streets remain pedestrian friendly. The knowledge of cameras at every major intersection isn't going to stop drivers from speeding in streets where they're not supposed to. Police aren't really going to enforce DeBlasio's warped view of how streets should function because he has no idea how the transportation or the roads work. Nassau County has everything to do with this issue because a lot of people from LI are driving thru the city to get to Upstate, or even NJ. Even though the majority of the population doesn't own a car, nobody's asking for bike lines on the service road, and moving the Q60 to the main road of Queens Blvd. If Vision Zero didn't stop a driver from running over people in Park Slope this week, then what makes the Mayor so sure that it Vision Zero will stop a fatal accident from occuring on Queens Blvd?

38 minutes ago, NY1635 said:

Of course it can’t stop idiots from driving stupidly but if they do they should be met with tickets, points taken off their license, and they being revoked. 

31 minutes ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

Yeah, the QM's and the X buses are definitely the ones which are gonna see some reliability improvements as a result of this plan (the outbound buses, that is). If this plan does occur, I hope they take out all the buses off the LIE (except for the Downtown buses). 

I wouldn't be so quick to say that just yet, since this plan targets one of the most free-flowing areas of the blvd itself.

4 hours ago, LTA1992 said:

Uh...no "nice try" What works for the Bx12, doesn't work for the Q60. 

19 hours ago, IAlam said:

I feel like the real winners of this would be the Queens express buses. 

16 hours ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

Yeah, the QM's and the X buses are definitely the ones which are gonna see some reliability improvements as a result of this plan (the outbound buses, that is).....

How so?

18 hours ago, LTA1992 said:

There are far too many a**hole motorists on the road & there are too many cyclists bringing dangers onto themselves; from the delivery guys, to the commuter, to the casual rider..... Riding in the opposite direction of traffic, running red lights, wantonly switching lanes, and let's not forget how cavalier they are when it comes to pedestrians crossing at crosswalks; they're worse than motorists with that; one thing I don't miss about working in the West Village..... All in all, all these miles & miles of bike lanes having been etched out over the years & they're not being utilized to the tune that they should be....

You say you follow the rules.... Well good, I have no reason to doubt that, but too many out here simply don't...

I'll go one step further - You mention that motorists rights on the road & cyclists rights on the road are similar... Well there has long been this attitude from cyclists since they aren't held to the same standard as motorists, that they can, quite frankly, do w/e the f*** they want - from riding on the sidewalks to riding in the streets....

9 hours ago, QM1to6Ave said:

I agree about ripping out the goddamn bike lanes that no one uses. Such a waste of valuable space 

...as if Q60's (along the service road) weren't stymied enough.... Seriously, I'm not seeing the real benefit for the Q60 by having it operate along the main road.... That is a route that a lot of elderly people utilize & they're the last group of people you want predisposed to standing on islands (and having to get to them from the sidewalk to begin with)....

16 minutes ago, Q43LTD said:

I guess by this logic, the Bx1 and 2 should be on the main road of the Concourse 

Hey, if it works for Kings Hwy.... quiet.png?1512071278

18 hours ago, Q43LTD said:

Uh...no "nice try" What works for the Bx12, doesn't work for the Q60. 

I was referring to your erroneous statement, not the routes. Again, nice try. 

14 hours ago, QM1to6Ave said:

I agree about ripping out the goddamn bike lanes that no one uses. Such a waste of valuable space 

Ironic considering that this is a good example of efficient space usage. The addition of these new walk able areas and associated foliage not only increases room for pedestrians and bikes, but also makes crossing the boulevard easier and raises the quality of orientation in the immediate area. And in a decade, said foliage will increase the air quality. 

Naysayers. Funny. I spent all morning talking about them and watching resources from exceptionally successful individuals. But frankly, the arguments here are continuing to lose weight in my eyes. It's almost as if you all oppose things like this for the sake of opposition.

The I'll not two arguments I see here are the erroneous traffic complaints due to the Q60 being rerouted to the main road. Last I checked, this thoroughfare didn't need buses on said road to be choked with traffic. Cars have the freedom to go AROUND THE BUS  when it stops.

The other being parking spaces. Just like any other place where parking is either extremely limited or just does not exist, you chose to drive, now you must figure it out. Don't like it? You have public transit and new bike lanes for utilization. Shit as a guy whose been to Paris, compared to there, the parking will still be very abundant along the service roads.

Ooooh, this isn't Paris you say? 

My response to that is: It may as well be. Compared to everywhere else in this country. That place reminded, no, felt more like here than any other American city I've been to. Home. Wanna know why? Only from the transportation POV, they took they HIGHLY limited space and used it for all. The first bus lane in the world was, and still is, there. A protected lane, no less. 

To those who throw the useless claim about space, you have no clue how much space we have to use. Even on our smallest streets with parking lanes. 

And that's my comment for today. 

3 hours ago, LTA1992 said:

I was referring to your erroneous statement, not the routes. Again, nice try. 

Ironic considering that this is a good example of efficient space usage. The addition of these new walk able areas and associated foliage not only increases room for pedestrians and bikes, but also makes crossing the boulevard easier and raises the quality of orientation in the immediate area. And in a decade, said foliage will increase the air quality. 

Naysayers. Funny. I spent all morning talking about them and watching resources from exceptionally successful individuals. But frankly, the arguments here are continuing to lose weight in my eyes. It's almost as if you all oppose things like this for the sake of opposition.

The I'll not two arguments I see here are the erroneous traffic complaints due to the Q60 being rerouted to the main road. Last I checked, this thoroughfare didn't need buses on said road to be choked with traffic. Cars have the freedom to go AROUND THE BUS  when it stops.

The other being parking spaces. Just like any other place where parking is either extremely limited or just does not exist, you chose to drive, now you must figure it out. Don't like it? You have public transit and new bike lanes for utilization. Shit as a guy whose been to Paris, compared to there, the parking will still be very abundant along the service roads.

Ooooh, this isn't Paris you say? 

My response to that is: It may as well be. Compared to everywhere else in this country. That place reminded, no, felt more like here than any other American city I've been to. Home. Wanna know why? Only from the transportation POV, they took they HIGHLY limited space and used it for all. The first bus lane in the world was, and still is, there. A protected lane, no less. 

To those who throw the useless claim about space, you have no clue how much space we have to use. Even on our smallest streets with parking lanes. 

And that's my comment for today. 

Last I checked, cars and other vehicles won't be able to use that bus lane once it takes effect. So going around, by default, is not an option. Also, "going around" a bus or another vehicle that's stopped in the main roadway is not as easy as you want to make it sound, as the flow of traffic is very, very constant on that planned segment. Queens Blvd is not Pelham Parkway, in which you have the ability to do that. If the Q60 stayed on the service road, then that point would have some merit. And if we're talking about being within the city, Queens Blvd is much, much longer than Pelham Parkway, and they are nowhere near as close to being comparable......

They're essentially trying to cram the most amount of traffic into two lanes in both directions, which will likely slow things down for everyone (except for the cyclists that hardly use those bike lanes because of safety concerns already in the air, of course <_<).

I also believe that this plan, in no sense, would benefit express bus passengers. All it would do is delay them even more.

As for the bike lanes, there's already very high opposition from folks here as well, as it's already evident that the lanes are hurting businesses.

Archived