Why isn't there any bathrooms at the newly renovated Prospect Avenue Station?

EphraimB

I went on the train today to see the newly renovated Prospect Avenue Station which I never got a chance to see. The problem was that I needed the bathroom badly so I asked the lady by the booth where the bathrooms are and she told me that there aren't any bathrooms at this station.

I'm very surprised that there's no bathrooms at a newly renovated station. The Second Avenue Subway has bathrooms. Even some old stations have bathrooms. Why would the (MTA) use their money on phone charging ports instead of bathrooms. Bathrooms are a necessity. Phone charging ports are just a waste of money and could do without because people could easily fit a power bank in their pocket.

I would never use the bathroom at a subway station. No way. I'm already disgusted at how dirt the trains are. I always plan ahead with that stuff. If I go to the barber, I use the restroom there before going back home or whatever and in the worst case scenario my office building is open 24/7. I can always use the bathroom there if I'm in Manhattan.

29 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I would never use the bathroom at a subway station. No way. I'm already disgusted at how dirt the trains are. I always plan ahead with that stuff. If I go to the barber, I use the restroom there before going back home or whatever and in the worst case scenario my office building is open 24/7. I can always use the bathroom there if I'm in Manhattan.

But I was coming from Far Rockaway and there were service changes on the Fourth Avenue line forcing me to go all the way to 36th St and back to Prospect Av. I came there just to see the newly renovated station and to buy time until the NY transit museum highlights tour.

14 minutes ago, EphraimB said:

But I was coming from Far Rockaway and there were service changes on the Fourth Avenue line forcing me to go all the way to 36th St and back to Prospect Av. I came there just to see the newly renovated station and to buy time until the NY transit museum highlights tour.

I understand. I'm just saying. I often times endure two hour commutes and make it work until I can get home. Last night I was in Battery Park City. It took over two hours to get home and yes I was cranky because it should've an hour commute tops, but I waited until I got home.

1 hour ago, EphraimB said:

In that case I would have gone to use the bathroom in the Target in the Atlantic Center Mall then gone back in the subway to Prospect Avenue

2 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

In that case I would have gone to use the bathroom in the Target in the Atlantic Center Mall then gone back in the subway to Prospect Avenue

Or at least the LIRR one by the Hanson Place entrance. That one stays un-dirty.

Well 'aye, I'm not above taking a leak in a park bathroom or a subway bathroom, but what I refuse to do is do the piss bottle man thing or the adult diaper thing..... I'm surprised at how many do the latter whenever they go on long excursions or whatever...

That isn't to say that I take great glee & look forward to using a subway station bathroom, but how does that commercial go.... Gotta go, gotta go, gotta go right now, gotta go, gotta go, gotta goooooo....

peeing.gif

.....and-I-don't-have-to-go-right-now :)

13 hours ago, P3F said:

It might be a bit inaccurate (it's from 2014), but here's a map of subway stations with restrooms.

In terms of mistakes, Fulton St is missing. There's probably more.

22514subwaymap.jpg

Far Rockaway - Mott Av has a bathroom. Did you annotate this map yourself or is there an official site for it? 

17 hours ago, P3F said:

It might be a bit inaccurate (it's from 2014), but here's a map of subway stations with restrooms.

In terms of mistakes, Fulton St is missing. There's probably more.

22514subwaymap.jpg

Church Avenue’s ((F)) restrooms were locked the last time I checked (2 years ago). I had an emergency and I ended up pissing onto the tracks from the mezzanine; there were metal grates over the northbound local track.

I used the bathroom at Fulton Transit Center stop, it was pretty clean. I also used the bathroom at 42nd Street (The one by the 8th Ave line, on top of the S/B platform, not the PABT bathroom) and it was nasty. Its funny as sometimes their be a line for the subway bathroom at Times Square station between the 7th Ave and Broadway lines.

If there isn't a bathroom nearby I just pee on a pillar on the far ends of the platform where there's little to no people. 

You know, the elevator at Woodside on the (7) was such a popular bathroom that the piss products actually caused significant corrosion. They had to shut it down to do some serious maintenance as a result. 

14 hours ago, RR503 said:

You know, the elevator at Woodside on the (7) was such a popular bathroom that the piss products actually caused significant corrosion. They had to shut it down to do some serious maintenance as a result. 

Same for the one at Times Square. I forget which one. But they are probably all pissy.

Yeah, I also read about that elevator being taken OOS at Woodside.... People are savage.....

If every station had a (well kept) bathroom & an elevator (well, save for any of the street level stations), there's no doubt in my mind that elevators within the subway system would still be used as bathrooms.... I'm not skeeved out by much, but using elevators within the subway system I have always been hesitant in using.... I'll never forget the last time I used one of the elevators at 181st (1).... I was the only person on it at the time & the thing started making unusual creaking noises, like something was gonna snap.... Haven't used that station since.

I say that to say, aside from sanitary issues, I also worry about maintenance on subway elevators.... I've personally never seen any maintenance being done on 'em.... Escalators I see work being done on 'em all the time, from the ones at Penn station, B'way Junction, TSQ, etc.....

Archived