Whiny vapid hipsters make an L train shutdown movie

Deucey

17 minutes ago, Deucey said:

That’s because the folks east of B’way Junction - or being really real, Myrtle - aren’t really transplants. They’re used to NYC being NYC and just adapt. 

Its these suburbanite kids moving to the city that can’t deal. Participation trophies, soccer games with no scores and being denied adversity growing up made them imaginative but soft, and having everything handed to them instead of feeling awkward and growing pairs made them entitled to expecting preferential treatment on their terms.

Hence why Canarsie and Brownsville get to adapt, while the hipsters get a SBS to 14th Street instead of shuttles or extra B62s or rerouted B32s to Court Square or Marcy Ave, and the hipsters are STILL not satiated.

I know bedford is a hub for those freaks  and like i mentioned they got mad when i gave them their alternatives, plus they believe that mta can run 1 tunnel

4 hours ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

They can run it with just one tunnel, but the frequency would be severely reduced, reliability would be compromised for the entire line, and construction would take twice as long (Plus they would still need to do periodic total shutdowns on the weekend anyway)

Yep i explaoned that you would delay and possibly cause the meltdown of the 2nd but they didnt care

5 hours ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

They can run it with just one tunnel, but the frequency would be severely reduced, reliability would be compromised for the entire line, and construction would take twice as long (Plus they would still need to do periodic total shutdowns on the weekend anyway)

IIRC they also said it would actually result in increased delays for most customers, since the mere existence of a one-track shuttle running the normal route would dissaude people from using the provided, more reliable alternatives.

This is why I think the MTA should just close the tunnel now and provide NO alternatives to teach them a lesson about life and having to go around obstacles

or have the (L) (unofficially) skip Bedford Av, Lorimer St and Graham av, keeping the stations open and have them fill up the station like cattle and watch the trains roll by. 

Also have the (G) skip Nassau Av, Metropolitan Av, Greenpoint Av, and the (J)(M)(Z) skip all stops from Marcy Av to Flushing Av

18 minutes ago, darkstar8983 said:

This is why I think the MTA should just close the tunnel now and provide NO alternatives to teach them a lesson about life and having to go around obstacles

or have the (L) (unofficially) skip Bedford Av, Lorimer St and Graham av, keeping the stations open and have them fill up the station like cattle and watch the trains roll by. 

Also have the (G) skip Nassau Av, Metropolitan Av, Greenpoint Av, and the (J)(M)(Z) skip all stops from Marcy Av to Flushing Av

LMAO. Why you gotta rope the (G) into this? They already have to run for the train from the end of the platform since  the train is so short and stops in the middle of the platform.

9 minutes ago, LGA Link N train said:

So ... Williamsburg is Bitching about the (L) train again?  Well, they better suck it up because no one (AND I MEAN NO ONE) wants to hear them whine about. 

So my opinion is that the (MTA) should ignore these 2 hipsters and tell them to suck it up and deal with the change.

Thank you!

I know it's easy to see another article about Williamsburg and the Canarsie shutdown and respond with an eye roll or such. In fact, my first response here was in the same vein. However, outside of the woe is me, holier than thou attitude exuded from some of the more vocal critics, there is a legitimate concern to be had about this whole project and its impact. The areas surround the (L) have grown exponentially over the past few decades, as has the line's ridership, to the point where riders are less concerned about getting a seat and more so with actually being able to get on the first train that arrives. It's even more prevalent as you get closer to Manhattan. Once the tunnel is closed next April, Myrtle-Wykoff Avs will be the point of no return when it comes to Manhattan-bound service. That's why there is so much emphasis on that portion of the line as opposed to the eastern end in Canarsie and East New York. While inconvenient, those riders will continue to have viable alternatives through the Fulton St and Jamaica lines. The western end of the line will not be so fortunate, which is why the MTA and DOT are pulling out all the stops to minimize the impact as much as possible. Part-time HOV lanes and select bus service may seem excessive, but take into account how many riders this shutdown will affect and suddenly it doesn't seem so bad, now does it?

47 minutes ago, Lance said:

I know it's easy to see another article about Williamsburg and the Canarsie shutdown and respond with an eye roll or such. In fact, my first response here was in the same vein. However, outside of the woe is me, holier than thou attitude exuded from some of the more vocal critics, there is a legitimate concern to be had about this whole project and its impact. The areas surround the (L) have grown exponentially over the past few decades, as has the line's ridership, to the point where riders are less concerned about getting a seat and more so with actually being able to get on the first train that arrives. It's even more prevalent as you get closer to Manhattan. Once the tunnel is closed next April, Myrtle-Wykoff Avs will be the point of no return when it comes to Manhattan-bound service. That's why there is so much emphasis on that portion of the line as opposed to the eastern end in Canarsie and East New York. While inconvenient, those riders will continue to have viable alternatives through the Fulton St and Jamaica lines. The western end of the line will not be so fortunate, which is why the MTA and DOT are pulling out all the stops to minimize the impact as much as possible. Part-time HOV lanes and select bus service may seem excessive, but take into account how many riders this shutdown will affect and suddenly it doesn't seem so bad, now does it?

No, it still seems whiny and vapid - solely because folks west of Myrtle-Wyckoff are getting so much and they're still complaining. And this docu-film's focus is so insular because it's focused on how the "awesomeness of Williamsburg" will be diminished while neglecting how the awesomeness of Bushwick and Canarsie and East NY will be diminished as well.

And given that if these folks don't want to take the pseudo-SBS to USQ, they can still ride from Bedford to Lorimer for the (G) to Court Square or to Myrtle-Wyckoff to (M) (or just walk to Marcy Av (J)(M)(Z) and are only inconvenienced 20 minutes time versus the folks at the other end who will now be stuck on the (A) to Fulton St or 8th Av, or on the slow ass (J) being relegated to supplemental because more (M) will come through to make the hipsters' lives to Midtown easier.

I lived on SI during the (R) shutdown, and many a weekend some GO came out that left (4)(5)  as the only ferry service from South Ferry. And yeah, we complained, but we adapted and rode though it until Montague reopened.

Why's that so hard for these participation trophy recipients?

Not for nothing, but the Montague shutdown does not hold a candle to the upcoming Canarsie shutdown. It's an entirely different animal altogether. Montague was and still is the least-used cross-river tunnel, whereas the Canarsie is well within the top five. While an inconvenience for riders, especially those like yourself who were travelling to/from Staten Island, the closure of the (R) tunnel back in 2014 will ultimately pale in comparison to the massive amount of shifts in ridership that will happen when the 14th Street tunnels are closed off. Are there those who are making this an even bigger problem than it already is? Of course there are. Some people are very myopic and cannot see the effects beyond themselves. Obviously if they cannot deal with the alternatives being provided, then that's tough on them. However, that does not mean this will be a cakewalk or that their concerns should be ignored because some of the loudest voices have no idea how to see the bigger picture. The folks who made this "documentary" are not my focus. This closure will be a massive undertaking, the likes of which we haven't seen before, no matter how you slice it. It doesn't do anyone any good to try to minimize the effects that will be felt.

52 minutes ago, Lance said:

Not for nothing, but the Montague shutdown does not hold a candle to the upcoming Canarsie shutdown. It's an entirely different animal altogether. Montague was and still is the least-used cross-river tunnel, whereas the Canarsie is well within the top five. While an inconvenience for riders, especially those like yourself who were travelling to/from Staten Island, the closure of the (R) tunnel back in 2014 will ultimately pale in comparison to the massive amount of shifts in ridership that will happen when the 14th Street tunnels are closed off. Are there those who are making this an even bigger problem than it already is? Of course there are. Some people are very myopic and cannot see the effects beyond themselves. Obviously if they cannot deal with the alternatives being provided, then that's tough on them. However, that does not mean this will be a cakewalk or that their concerns should be ignored because some of the loudest voices have no idea how to see the bigger picture. The folks who made this "documentary" are not my focus. This closure will be a massive undertaking, the likes of which we haven't seen before, no matter how you slice it. It doesn't do anyone any good to try to minimize the effects that will be felt.

But like I said earlier, if their focus was on more of those affected instead of their friends of friends and the guy that runs their favorite bodega and bagel, I wouldn't have issue with it.

Given that it's not...

5 hours ago, Lance said:

It'll definitely be interesting to see what happens, yes. I do think, however, that while we shouldn't minimize its effects, we should pay more attention to mundane issues, like, for example, the city's bus system. If you want to talk about shifted/displaced commuter demographics, that'd be a great place to start. Because it isn't dramatic, and the constituencies affected don't have fifteen social media outlets per capita, this issue -- and many others, most with effects more enduring than those of the (L) shutdown -- is simply not being covered. It's time. 

I also think that long term, the (L) shutdown will do good for the city. The massive task at hand has shocked the MTA into taking a hard look at its operations, forcing a relatively even-handed look at the stunted length of the (G), the proliferation of timers on the Williamsburg Bridge, the myriad closed entrances and mezzanines along the area's lines, the way the agency handles construction work, and the deficiency of bus service. 

So yeah, Williamsburg will feel the pain for a year and a quarter. But I think in the larger scheme, the city will get something good from it. Oh, and the hipsters will too: the survival of the (L) train. 

Okay, where's my film about the Montague (R) tunnel shutting down for a whole flipping year and making it terrible to get to Bay Ridge? I guess I just sucked it up and took a different route. Are they going to blame nature for Sandy, or the (MTA)?

Archived