Thousands of Commuters Stuck Yet Again Amid G, F Train Meltdown

Via Garibaldi 8

Commuters Get Stuck Between Subway Stations Amid G, F Train Meltdown

'The Big Sick' star Zoe Kazan was among the thousands of commuters impacted by Thursday's issues

By R. Darren Price

Published at 8:37 PM EDT on Mar 15, 2018 | Updated 5 hours ago

VIDEO: https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/G-F-train-Meltdown-Commuters-Stuck-Twitter-Signal-Problems-477024113.html

Straphangers took to social media to vent about a hellacious evening commute on the F and G lines, with some reporting being stuck for nearly two hours. (Published Friday, March 16, 2018)

WHAT TO KNOW

-Signal problems took down the G train and severely hampered the F line in Brooklyn for hours Thursday night

-Some commuters complained they were stuck on a train between two stations for nearly two hours, and others said they took cabs home

-The MTA said it was launching a full investigation into the problems and apologized to commuters for "letting you down"

Straphangers took to social media Thursday night to vent about a hellacious evening commute on the F and G lines, with some reporting they were stuck in between stations for nearly two hours.

The MTA reported about 6 p.m. that no G trains stopped running along the entire length of the Brooklyn-Queens line, with F trains running along the D and C lines in Brooklyn because of a defective piece of equipment at the Bergen Street stop that shut down signaling for both lines.

Those issues were compounded, the MTA said, by passengers who were hit by trains on the 7, R and D lines around that time. 

We know your commute was incredibly frustrating and apologize for letting you down," said Sarah Meyer, NYC Transit's chief customer officer. "Please know that we will be launching a full internal investigation of the signal malfunction, so that we identify the root cause to prevent it from happening again.”

The MTA said that it had restored G service between Court Square and Bedford-Nostrand Avenues by 9 p.m. and had filled out the rest of the line with shuttle buses and F train service. But it came too late for thousands of commuters who faced hourslong commutes for some straphangers who rely on the lines to reach parts of Brooklyn that don't have other subway service from Coney Island all the way to Greenpoint's northern tip. 

Commuter Anna Peery posted a call for help on Twitter about 7 p.m. on Thursday, saying that she and fellow G train riders had been stuck between the Hoyt-Schermerhorn and Bergen Street stations for nearly 2 hours. In one video tweet, an earsplitting buzzing noise can be heard from outside the train; she later said the sounds lasted for 5 to 7 minutes at a time.  

UNb1de3k_C59ANN7?format=jpg&name=small

Anna Peery@anna_peery

PART TWO— Stuck on the G train for almost 2 hours.. here were my updates on IG @MTA @nycgov #TrainDelay #mta #subway #nyc

7:36 PM - Mar 15, 2018

"Houston we have a problem!!!! Stuck on the g train for almost two hours now like it’s the new home I never asked for," she said in one tweet.

Source: https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/G-F-train-Meltdown-Commuters-Stuck-Twitter-Signal-Problems-477024113.html

So why aren’t these supervisors also doubling as flaggers when a signal goes down?

Seems to me that you put at least two supes out there with walkies - one at the incident site and another at the end of the problematic block/switch - and maybe you don’t end up with folks stuck in a non-moving train for hours.

Kinda like how everywhere that isn’t NYC uses cops to effectively move traffic when traffic signals go out on busy streets...

(And I say effectively because NYPD Traffic doesn’t do that when traffic lights go out - they just stand there.)

Does anyone here know specifics of what went wrong here? "Signal malfunction," which is what the MTA said is such an all-encompassing and non-specific term that, as well as being the reason for catastrophe commutes like this, can also mean something relatively simple, like an unlit signal or incorrect aspect which will delay service but at least keep it moving.

What was so bad here that the entire (G) had to be cut in the beginning, and not just south of Bedford-Nostrand? If the problem was on the upper level tracks at Bergen (which it was) why couldn't the (F) run regular route, just express to 4th Avenue? The MTA should release more information after events like this to tell people what really happened. People understand that signals and switches fail; it's the lack of information and transparency to the riding public that angers so many.

12 minutes ago, officiallyliam said:

Does anyone here know specifics of what went wrong here? "Signal malfunction," which is what the MTA said is such an all-encompassing and non-specific term that, as well as being the reason for catastrophe commutes like this, can also mean something relatively simple, like an unlit signal or incorrect aspect which will delay service but at least keep it moving.

What was so bad here that the entire (G) had to be cut in the beginning, and not just south of Bedford-Nostrand? If the problem was on the upper level tracks at Bergen (which it was) why couldn't the (F) run regular route, just express to 4th Avenue? The MTA should release more information after events like this to tell people what really happened. People understand that signals and switches fail; it's the lack of information and transparency to the riding public that angers so many.

On their Twitter page, they said it was piece of "defective equipment at Bergen St". What that means, I'm not sure. It's a step up from the standard "[equipment] malfunction", but not by much.

As for why they chose not to use Bedford-Nostrand Avs as a terminal, we'll never know. It must be really frustrating for (G) line riders whenever something like this happens because 9 times out of 10, the MTA just throws up their hands and shuts down the entire line. It's somewhat understandable in the middle of the night when ridership is relatively light, but even then, some effort should be made to keep at least part of the line functioning. After all, they have no problems using that station as a terminal whenever they split the (G) and cut service back to Hoyt-Schermerhorn.

53 minutes ago, Lance said:

It's somewhat understandable in the middle of the night when ridership is relatively light...

Is it though?

At 20 minute headways, if there's an "equipment failure" south of Bedford-Nostrand, that still wouldn't necessitate shutting the whole thing down. Maybe 3 trains short-turn at Bed-Nos, or all trains do that and they run a shuttle from Schermerhorn to Bed-Nos (like they do for GOs), but screwing everyone between Court Sq and Myrtle Willoughby seems - as you called it - throwing hands in the air.

At least to Schermerhorn on a shuttle, people can still get the (A) and possibly a rerouted (F) to Manhattan for (D) to Coney Island if that's where they're headed.

It sounds like something in the relay room was badly damaged, which would throw off the interlocking tying Bergen to Jay and Hoyt/Schermerhorn. That said, that sounds like you could have run the (G) to Bedford-Nostrand and the (F) through the lower level (unless for some reason that relay room also handles the interlocking at Jay St allowing trains to use Bergen lower level. It seems like the big question is how much equipment is controlled by that relay room, and whether there was no way of cutting out the affected signals (or just keying by them)

There's been one too many of these meltdowns lately in a short period of time.... This, combined with the fifty million timers throughout the subway system, gives me the impression that the MTA is actually trying to make the subway less attractive (patronage-wise)....

Yes, this is, of course, an unfortunate circumstance for anyone affected... In turn though, it gets to a point where I have to question if these occurrences are mere coincidences like they're being brushed off as....

1 hour ago, B35 via Church said:

There's been one too many of these meltdowns lately in a short period of time.... This, combined with the fifty million timers throughout the subway system, gives me the impression that the MTA is actually trying to make the subway less attractive (patronage-wise)....

Yes, this is, of course, an unfortunate circumstance for anyone affected... In turn though, it gets to a point where I have to question if these occurrences are mere coincidences like they're being brushed off as....

That's what I said earlier. The best way to alleviate the pressure being put on the system is to deter riders from using it, and I'm sure someone like itmaybeok will say otherwise but their actions tell another story. This agency check cannot be trusted.

3 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

The meltdowns aren't actually the thing that's making this worse. We've always had meltdowns. The issue now is that we can't recover from them, because the timers/horrible operating environment kill our flex capacity, and our management doesn't know how to dynamically dispatch. 

6 hours ago, RR503 said:

The meltdowns aren't actually the thing that's making this worse. We've always had meltdowns. The issue now is that we can't recover from them, because the timers/horrible operating environment kill our flex capacity, and our management doesn't know how to dynamically dispatch. 

Or more likely, they don't want to do their jobs or are afraid to "do the right thing" and be disciplined for it. 

I have a question did the MTA really have to leave these people stranded on the train for 2 hours ? Can’t they just turn off power and have them walk to the nearest station ?  Also I read tonight about a BIE at Queensboro Plaza Which seems to still be going on now . If a train had a real mechanical problem do the passengers really have to stay on the train while they fix the issue? Is there really NO other way ?

46 minutes ago, Abba said:

I have a question did the MTA really have to leave these people stranded on the train for 2 hours ? Can’t they just turn off power and have them walk to the nearest station ?  Also I read tonight about a BIE at Queensboro Plaza Which seems to still be going on now . If a train had a real mechanical problem do the passengers really have to stay on the train while they fix the issue? Is there really NO other way ?

Blame the lawyers.

Since the tunnels don’t all have walk spaces on the sides, where the walkspaces are are probably slick from the dust and water (and bacteria), and the 3rd rail changes sides, it’s a liability claims nightmare.

Add to it that the trackbed changes between concrete and ballast, and all it takes is one person to sprain an ankle or a disabled person to be left behind...

10 hours ago, Deucey said:

Blame the lawyers.

Since the tunnels don’t all have walk spaces on the sides, where the walkspaces are are probably slick from the dust and water (and bacteria), and the 3rd rail changes sides, it’s a liability claims nightmare.

Add to it that the trackbed changes between concrete and ballast, and all it takes is one person to sprain an ankle or a disabled person to be left behind...

Just think about the recent employee death. It appears to be a collapse of the benchwall or, as you call it, the walk space on the side. I mentioned that in a thread about evacuation a while ago.

3 minutes ago, Trainmaster5 said:

Just think about the recent employee death. It appears to be a collapse of the benchwall or, as you call it, the walk space on the side. I mentioned that in a thread about evacuation a while ago.

Exactly.

If there's so much water intrusion in the stations that when it rains above ground, it rains underground, do you really want people risking walking along station walls knowing they could be brittle, along with the grimy, slimy and narrowness of the walks?

Yeah, the only thing that should be done is once a mechanical failure lasts 15 minutes, the train behind should be evacuated and used as a rescue train for the stalled train. There really is no reason to leave folks stuck unnecessarily, but the only people that seem to be interested in solving problems at (MTA) are the lawyers. 

2 minutes ago, CenSin said:

New Yorkers aren’t exactly slim either.

Tell me about it.  I saw 5 obese people on the (6) train last night, and I was thinking am I the odd man out now??  This lesbian couple standing next to me practically took up the entire space by the door.  It's like ok, TWO people are supposed to be able to fit in this space, not one. <_< They eventually got the hint and moved to a space where there was a seat.  I guess one of the fat ones was tired from standing and getting a little "exercise". lol

21 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Tell me about it.  I saw 5 obese people on the (6) train last night, and I was thinking am I the odd man out now??  This lesbian couple standing next to me practically took up the entire space by the door.  It's like ok, TWO people are supposed to be able to fit in this space, not one. <_< They eventually got the hint and moved to a space where there was a seat.  I guess one of the fat ones was tired from standing and getting a little "exercise". lol

I don’t think CenSin meant that as an invitation to rant about fat people. These thoughts are best kept to yourself, or phrased without such detail. 

#remembertomprendergast

3 minutes ago, RR503 said:

I don’t think Deucey meant that as an invitation to rant about fat people. These thoughts are best kept to yourself, or phrased without such detail. 

#remembertomprendergast

Deucey didn't say anything.  I just agreed with CenSin about his observation.  There's no rant or anything to be offended about.  There are fat people, skinny people, tall people and so on.  I suppose that would offend you too... I'm tall and I'm not going to get offended if someone said there's lots of tall New Yorkers.  

19 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Deucey didn't say anything.  I just agreed with CenSin about his observation.  There's no rant or anything to be offended about.  There are fat people, skinny people, tall people and so on.  I suppose that would offend you too... I'm tall and I'm not going to get offended if someone said there's lots of tall New Yorkers.

Lmao corrected that. 

I just don't think that it is in any way in good taste, pertinent to the discussion, or necessary at all to add these details about annoying fat people on your commute. It serves to denigrate the discussion, and make you look, frankly, petty. 

When it comes to these major service disruptions, the MTA is almost always unable to readily adapt to address them. Also, you'd think that endless weeknight and weekend construction work would lessen the number of these "meltdowns," but you'd be sadly mistaken. The way I see it, the MTA is always behind in the maintenance of its infrastructure. If Track Workers and other key employee groups actually put the "work" in their job title, we'd need not worry about these frequent catastrophes. I'm sick of seeing a group of 25 men on the trackbed sit and play games on their smartphones while 1 of them actually works on something productive.

Archived