Thousands of Commuters Stuck Yet Again Amid G, F Train Meltdown

Via Garibaldi 8

18 minutes ago, CenSin said:

New Yorkers aren’t exactly slim either.

I'm a 44 in sport coat, and I think the average walk width in the tunnels might be from my right shoulder to where my neck and clavicle meet. So walking that would be either toe-to-toe one foot in front of the other slowly while holding the handrail (where available), or back to the wall shuffling side to side to avoid falling.

Either way, it's not something any lawyer or reasonable person would do. 

5 minutes ago, AlgorithmOfTruth said:

When it comes to these major service disruptions, the MTA is almost always unable to readily adapt to address them. Also, you'd think that endless weeknight and weekend construction work would lessen the number of these "meltdowns," but you'd be sadly mistaken. The way I see it, the MTA is always behind in the maintenance of its infrastructure. If Track Workers and other key employee groups actually put the "work" in their job title, we'd need not worry about these frequent catastrophes. I'm sick of seeing a group of 25 men on the trackbed sit and play games on their smartphones while 1 of them actually works on something productive.

These are problem the result of some of the "corrupt" vendors that the (MTA) has been hiring.

42 minutes ago, RR503 said:

Lmao corrected that. 

I just don't think that it is in any way in good taste, pertinent to the discussion, or necessary at all to add these details about annoying fat people on your commute. It serves to denigrate the discussion, and make you look, frankly, petty. 

Yeah, I don't fat shame given that despite not looking it at the time, I was once 300 lbs.

5 hours ago, Deucey said:

Exactly.

If there's so much water intrusion in the stations that when it rains above ground, it rains underground, do you really want people risking walking along station walls knowing they could be brittle, along with the grimy, slimy and narrowness of the walks?

Yeah, the only thing that should be done is once a mechanical failure lasts 15 minutes, the train behind should be evacuated and used as a rescue train for the stalled train. There really is no reason to leave folks stuck unnecessarily, but the only people that seem to be interested in solving problems at (MTA) are the lawyers. 

But the question is when power is off and a rescue Train can’t get there are there other options?

Let’s say Someone is having a heart attack/baby being born/even just restroom these things can’t wait 2 hours .What do you do? I think they really have to come up with a plan cause these things happen quite a bit and people shouldn’t have to wait 

17 hours ago, Abba said:

But the question is when power is off and a rescue Train can’t get there are there other options?

Not really.  There's always a scenario where the FDNY , EMS , or NYPD could  walk to the disabled train but I've never heard of that being done. Even mention of a diesel or battery powered rescue vehicle is somewhat farfetched because that vehicle would have to be located next to or have direct access to the disabled train. I personally have done the rescue train operation two or three times but that's not an option in a power off location. While a birth or death are traumatic experiences there's no possible way to cover every possible contingency. I was on a train for 17 hours during the last NYC blackout and never heard about your problematic scenario being played out in the subway system over the radio or afterwards. Two hours is a long time but panicking about it only makes things worse. As far as bathroom needs.....I've seen men and women relieve themselves in a twenty minute delay.  Carry on. 

Archived