Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Union Tpke

Systemwide CBTC - Planning and Implementation

1 hour ago, LaGuardia Link N Tra said:

It seems like you’re not paying attention. 

What @RTOMan is trying to explain is that in order for QBL CBTC to debut in 2021 without any issues or failures, they have to test the signal system first.

The test will begin on December 23rd 2019, and will take place between Jackson Heights-Roosevelt Avenue and Forest Hills-71st Avenue. If successful, then they’ll likely test CBTC in other locations along QBL. Keep in mind this is just Speculation, anything can change at any moment. 

Last, but not least. I think that @Maxwell179 meant that your action of repeating the statements in your posts and your actions of spamming are stupid. There is no direct indication that he called you stupid whatsoever. 

@Maxwell179 correct me if I’m wrong.

ehh not really but f**k it , we’ll go with that

• Thanks 1

A quick CBTC implementation question:

I’ve seen CBTC signs (completely visible) at some IND Culver express station, probably 7th Av. Is there CBTC anywhere on Culver? I immediately thought there couldn’t be, 46s and 68s, but why the sign? Are they in the process of putting it in now?

Thanks

31 minutes ago, TrainRider Railfan said:

A quick CBTC implementation question:

I’ve seen CBTC signs (completely visible) at some IND Culver express station, probably 7th Av. Is there CBTC anywhere on Culver? I immediately thought there couldn’t be, 46s and 68s, but why the sign? Are they in the process of putting it in now?

Thanks

On the southbound express track between fourth ave and church ave, for testing purposes only. Keep in mind this is separate from Culver CBTC (Ditmars-Coney Island).

Edited by SimplyMyself
  • Upvote 1

On 12/7/2019 at 7:50 PM, subwayfan1998 said:

I'm Sorry @RTOMan for me being such a Prick, I Grew Up with NTTs and I Don't Find OTTs Comfertable.

Its cool no biggie...

• Upvote 1

On 12/7/2019 at 7:02 AM, RTOMan said:

That alone will be interesting...

I wonder if London will beat us to the punch for a world first.

2 hours ago, bobtehpanda said:

I wonder if London will beat us to the punch for a world first.

Yeah London's been doing that since the summer on the Hammersmith & City and Circle lines and now also the Metropolitan line IIRC...

Of course their ultimate plan is to have CBTC cover the entire subsurface network, but phased in over the next few years.

EDIT: First section was in March with a second in August:

The first Thales CBTC to be commissioned in March covered a pilot section of SMA 1 – the outer end of the Hammersmith & City Line between Hammersmith and Latimer Road. This was a relatively simple two-track railway apart from the Hammersmith terminus and depot connections. The second part of SMA1 now completed covers the section from Latimer Road to the Hammersmith & City Line platforms at Paddington.

Stage 2 runs from Paddington to Euston Square, including the junctions at Praed Street, where the Hammersmith & City Line joins the Circle and District lines west of Edgware Road, and at Baker Street, where the Metropolitan and Circle lines converge, together with a short section of the Metropolitan Line running north to Finchley Road. Both junctions rely on pairing train movements in opposite directions to maximise throughput.

For the record, its a Thales project with an expected completion of 2023.

Edited by Around the Horn

1 hour ago, Around the Horn said:

For the record, its a Thales project with an expected completion of 2023.

With the reputation Thales has, they should probably push that estimate back to 2033.

• LMAO! 2

8 hours ago, Lex said:

With the reputation Thales has, they should probably push that estimate back to 2033.

Considering that this project has been behind schedule for a couple years, I'm inclined to believe that somewhat lol

Transponder installation has been going on for a while, at least the last 2 to 3 years in some spots. 6th Ave has had some for a while, along with 53rd st. The 11th st cut got them in the last couple of months. 

2 hours ago, RestrictOnTheHanger said:

Transponder installation has been going on for a while, at least the last 2 to 3 years in some spots. 6th Ave has had some for a while, along with 53rd st. The 11th st cut got them in the last couple of months. 

I hope they're of the weatherproofed variety.

• LMAO! 1

6 hours ago, Lex said:

That’s a given …I hope.

They was hoping to get this Online but....

Employee availability Trumps CBTC training...

Meaning we so short staffed that they cannot train enough of us to get this to go ahead...

So we wait until they can train enough of us...

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

On 12/12/2019 at 9:45 PM, Lex said:

Judging by how Queens Blvd looks whenever it rains, they better be floodproof.

• LMAO! 1

5 hours ago, bobtehpanda said:

Judging by how Queens Blvd looks whenever it rains, they better be floodproof.

The queens blvd transponders are bigger and bulkier than those on the 7. They appear to be covered by default, as they were installed a couple of years ago already. 

1 hour ago, RestrictOnTheHanger said:

The queens blvd transponders are bigger and bulkier than those on the 7. They appear to be covered by default, as they were installed a couple of years ago already. 

Sure, but when there are waterfalls coming down at 36 St, are all bets off?

On 12/12/2019 at 10:44 PM, RestrictOnTheHanger said:

Afaik they r used for auto annoucement triggers atm 2 avoid odometer drama since r160s came out day 1 2009 or whenever. True?

14 hours ago, bulk88 said:

Afaik they r used for auto annoucement triggers atm 2 avoid odometer drama since r160s came out day 1 2009 or whenever. True?

That would be interesting because I was on a (E) train last week that the C/O had to keep correcting at each stop.

2 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

Automatic announcements are based off of wheel rotations IINM

Correct. You can really tell when the E express announcements are on when the train is running local, not using the direct route via Northern Boulevard.

Just now, RestrictOnTheHanger said:

The (F) also has announcements out of sync when running on QBL local. 

Yup.

2 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

Automatic announcements are based off of wheel rotations IINM

So it measures wheel rotations to mark the distance between stations? I thought it was controlled by a transponder or something like that on the tracks.

Edited by R68OnBroadway