What's your worst commute experience?

Deucey

AM New York has this post of bad ones back to 2016. What’s your worst?

Mine is always a tossup between that time in 2014 on the (A) pulling into 207th when the doors were locked during a track fire and we sat there for 30 minutes until the conductor came with the key, and that time in 2015 with the track fire at West 4th that shut down the entire Manhattan IND.

Your turn...

In High School I left for school super early and was happy about that and was relaxed... get on the (Q) train, train rolls out of the station then Chow! a BIE, we sat for quite some time and I ended up being late for school.

An (L) train taking 45 minutes to go from Broadway Junction to Rockaway Parkway is another one, due to signal problems. The (L) can travel from 8th Ave to Caransie in less time than that.

Yesterday, I got on at 63 Drive on the (M) train Just in time. But when I got to Forest Hills I had to wait 20 minutes for the (E) train. Next thing I know, I reach Sutphin Blvd. Everything was fine on the (J) until 85 St - Forest Parkway where the train got mad crowded because of a train that went OOS. The conductor was telling everyone that there was a train DIRECTLY BEHIND OURS. but you want to know what everyone decides to do?  They STILL tried to get in the train. I'm like, you see that each car is at full capacity, so WHY ARE YOU TRYING TO GET IN?!?!? Finally, I got to Norwood Avenue where I almost couldn't get out of the train due to how crowded it was. Yet I still make it on time to school even though I considered myself late. 

28 minutes ago, LGA Link N train said:

The conductor was telling everyone that there was a train DIRECTLY BEHIND OURS

That's not always true... Sometimes they're just trying to get out of the station, and say that even if there isn't a train "directly behind" that one.

This isn't really part of a daily commute but I did do this for a week or so 2 years ago:

I was staying with a friend near Fresh Pond Rd on the (M) . One night I left the UES around 10:45 and caught one of the last M15 SBSs. I got to Delancey-Essex around 11:05 only to find (M) service to Manhattan had ended at 11, so I need to take the (J) to Myrtle. I then wait 45 minutes for a (J) , the worst part being that a Broad Street-bound one had arrived after 10 minutes and should have been back by now. I eventually give up and have to wait for a few cabs to take me to Queens. I am never taking the (J)  during late nights again.

1 minute ago, kosciusko said:

That's my worst nightmare.

Once got stuck on the Dekalb interlocking on a (D) train for about 30 minutes because of a mechanical issue.

If I didn't have my DS and Pokémon SoulSilver (this was way back in 2010) to keep me occupied I would have lost my mind.

Was trying to get home (Culver) from the UES. (6) is messed up south of 14th, so switch to the (L). Something wrong at 8th avenue, so spend a solid 10 minutes crawling one stop over to 6th. Then (in the middle of the day on a Sunday) I wait 42 (I was counting) minutes for an (F) train. No word on the site as to why, and this is the era before countdown clocks. And of course, there's hella flagging around W4. Trip time home broke 2.5 hrs. 

Archived