Why did my A train go express on the local track yesterday

EphraimB

Yesterday, I was on the (A) train from Far Rockaway - Mott Av to 42 St - Port Authority bus terminal. When the train got to Euclid Av, I was surprised to see it on the local track. I was more surprised to see it make express stops on the local track. Why did that happen and how was that possible that my train was not even stuck behind a (C) train? Here is a video I took for proof:

An train might have been stuck on the N/B express track.

A couple days ago an 142A broke down south of Lex-125th and my (4) train went express on the local track from 125th to Grand Central, it didn't catch up to a (6) train ethier...and this was a weekday!

14 minutes ago, NY1635 said:

I'm not really surprised. I've been on a (F) using the local tracks to go express between 71st and Roosevelt Avenue. It must be an error on the conductor's part.

There's no way that it was an error on the conductor's part. There's a lot of crossovers between the local and express tracks and my (A) train went express on the local tracks from Euclid Av to Hoyt Schermerhorn St. On 8th Av, it went the normal express on the express tracks.

1 hour ago, EphraimB said:

There's no way that it was an error on the conductor's part. There's a lot of crossovers between the local and express tracks and my (A) train went express on the local tracks from Euclid Av to Hoyt Schermerhorn St. On 8th Av, it went the normal express on the express tracks.

I'm guessing there was something stuck on the express tracks, probably between Bway Jct and Hoyt. The xovers at Utica are bloody slow (D 10?), and the tower at Utica may not have been manned. There may not have been a (C) anywhere near the (A) (let's be real, that train is an operational fiction), so to hold the (A) to some semblance of a normal schedule, they ran exp via local. 

A good example of a dynamic response to an adverse situation, IMO. 

I've seen an (F) train go express once on the local track once. There was a work train on the express track. This was back in ...2016 or so? I don't remember that clearly. By the way....

A QUESTION STILL COUNTS AS A RANDOM THOUGHT. 

I would know this because I ask my parents a bunch of random questions, as they are random thoughts that come into my head. 

I'm not a Mod (and I don't wish to be one either) but may you PLEASE keep these things in the random thoughts thread

nice video by the way

1 hour ago, NY1635 said:

I'm not really surprised. I've been on a (F) using the local tracks to go express between 71st and Roosevelt Avenue. It must be an error on the conductor's part.

Conductor's don't move/operate trains. How can it be an error on their part?

16 minutes ago, Jchambers2120 said:

Conductor's don't move/operate trains. How can it be an error on their part?

I meant to say that the train operator made a mistake when the (F) ran express on the local tracks between 71st and Roosevelt Ave.

1 hour ago, EphraimB said:

Likely a gap in (C) service that (A) could’ve filled, or an obstruction on EXP tracks.

Kinda thing happens regularly - when I lived on 148th St I’d be on (D) doing that on CPW, and a few times on 6Av if there was a work train below or at 34th

6 minutes ago, NY1635 said:

I meant to say that the train operator made a mistake when the (F) ran express on the local tracks between 71st and Roosevelt Ave.

Are you a Train Operator or someone who works in RCC to make such a claim? How do you know (like others have pointed out) that there wasn't some sort of obstruction on express tracks and the train wasn't diverted to avoid congestion? 

1 hour ago, LGA Link N train said:

I would know this because I ask my parents a bunch of random questions, as they are random thoughts that come into my head. 

I'm not a Mod (and I don't wish to be one either) but may you PLEASE keep these things in the random thoughts thread

1 hour ago, RR503 said:

I'm guessing there was something stuck on the express tracks, probably between Bway Jct and Hoyt. The xovers at Utica are bloody slow (D 10?), and the tower at Utica may not have been manned. There may not have been a (C) anywhere near the (A) (let's be real, that train is an operational fiction), so to hold the (A) to some semblance of a normal schedule, they ran exp via local. 

A good example of a dynamic response to an adverse situation, IMO. 

I've always been slightly amazed by how little TPH the (C) is actually scheduled for. Like, 6 TPH during rush hours? If the line's reliability isn't high, then it's just useless... Look at the (R), which is supposed to run 10 TPH and still has ridiculous waits all the time. It's not even like the (C) serves the Rockaways which could reasonably warrant such frequencies; its stations get alright ridership, and there's a fair amount of them as well.

So, it is unsurprising that the (A) didn't catch up to a (C) during its entire express run.

2 hours ago, LGA Link N train said:

I've seen an (F) train go express once on the local track once. There was a work train on the express track. This was back in ...2016 or so? I don't remember that clearly. By the way....

nice video by the way

You're even more annoying. Get over yourself.

4 hours ago, EphraimB said:

Yesterday, I was on the (A) train from Far Rockaway - Mott Av to 42 St - Port Authority bus terminal. When the train got to Euclid Av, I was surprised to see it on the local track. I was more surprised to see it make express stops on the local track. Why did that happen and how was that possible that my train was not even stuck behind a (C) train? Here is a video I took for proof:

Because there was something blocking the express track. Period. Nothing special about it and it happens daily throughout the subway system.

1 minute ago, Trainmaster5 said:

Because there was something blocking the express track. Period. Nothing special about it and it happens daily throughout the subway system.

At least one (A) runs express on the local track in the am (usually the first express of the am rush) and as far as why it wasn't held up by a (C) either the (C) was well ahead of the (A) to avoid any interruption/train traffic, which is why they ran it up the local track in the first place, or the (C) wasn't running yet, like i described in the early am scenario. Those men & women in rapid transit know how to coordinate trains. Nothing happens by mistake or happenstance.

1 hour ago, P3F said:

I've always been slightly amazed by how little TPH the (C) is actually scheduled for. Like, 6 TPH during rush hours? If the line's reliability isn't high, then it's just useless... Look at the (R), which is supposed to run 10 TPH and still has ridiculous waits all the time. It's not even like the (C) serves the Rockaways which could reasonably warrant such frequencies; its stations get alright ridership, and there's a fair amount of them as well.

So, it is unsurprising that the (A) didn't catch up to a (C) during its entire express run.

It’s amazing. I used to catch (C) at Franklin during AM rush - 3 (A)s would pass before one (C) and it’s crushloaded like the (L) at Bedford until 23rd St.

4 minutes ago, EastFlatbushLarry said:

Those men & women in rapid transit know how to coordinate trains. Nothing happens by mistake or happenstance

Doubtful, given how (R) runs, or how (1)(2) run back to back instead of every 5 min on weekend nights to South Ferry.

1 minute ago, Deucey said:

Doubtful, given how (R) runs, or how (1)(2) run back to back instead of every 5 min on weekend nights to South Ferry.

I mean supervision allowing trains to run nose to ass, risking congestion/collision/unattentiveness as someone suggested. As far as what the C/R & T/O crew do while they're on the rails is another issue, sir

2 hours ago, Jchambers2120 said:

Are you a Train Operator or someone who works in RCC to make such a claim? How do you know (like others have pointed out) that there wasn't some sort of obstruction on express tracks and the train wasn't diverted to avoid congestion? 

I've been riding the Queen Blvd Line long enough to know that it's pretty rare to see the (F) diverted to the locals unless the (E) is causing congestion on the express tracks between 71st and Queens Plaza. Plus the announcements really like to let everyone know that the (F) is making all local stops in Queens, and will be happy to repeat it as the line crawls thru the QBL as loud as possible.

46 minutes ago, Deucey said:

Can't speak to the (R) issue but I'm almost sure about that (1) , (2) problem. The (2) to the ferry is a supplement schedule based on the regular one. The original schedule would have the (2) connecting with the (5) shuttle at East 180th St and the (4) at Grand Concourse in the Bronx. Depending on how the (3) leaves 148st in Harlem the (2) , running as an express, would meet the (1) at 96th St and Broadway. I'm guessing  that the schedule wasn't modified timewise for the trains to be spaced correctly. Just a guess on my part and not an excuse. The RCC dispatcher monitoring 96th St should correct that issue, IMO.  BTW to those who obviously don't know neither the C/R nor the T/O line up trains on the mainline.  Carry on.

Nothing Serious! i get sent express on local all the time! For that to happen, Somebody got stuck on the express track and thats the only way to get around it! BOTTOM LINE! 

Keep in mind Train operators are NOT ALLOWED TO TAKE A ALTERNATE ROUTE UNLESS RCC TELL US TO! 

Archived