MTA’s Stephen Plochochi: ‘We hire corrupt contractors to make them less corrupt.’

Deucey

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/mta-big-concedes-agency-hires-crooked-contractors-article-1.3885209

Call it a 12-stop program.

An MTA executive admitted Monday that the transit agency hires notoriously corrupt contractors in hopes of straightening them out.

“New York City Transit and the MTA as a whole for many, many, many years — certainly for the 30 years that I’ve been here and for many before that — have looked at this as a rehabilitative organization,” Senior Vice President Stephen Plochochi said at a transit committee meeting. “We don’t take this lightly; we don't let them get away with it.”

Plochochi’s statement came after MTA board member Charles Moerdler read a list of corruption convictions of two MTA contractors.

“My issue is when people commit crimes from bribery to worse we have a public responsibility as fiduciaries to make sure there is no reoccurrence,” Moerdler said, calling for high level monitoring of rogue contractors.

“If we have other companies out there that are willing to do the work, why on earth would we want to continue to go back to the well and deal with people who have repeatedly shown themselves to not rehabilitate their behavior?” asked board member Peter Ward.

Andy Byford, president of NYC Transit, said the contracts the transit committee were considering were necessary and needed to be approved. He gave assurances that monitors would be installed on both contractors.

21 minutes ago, CenSin said:

So the MTA is now a charity for abstract corporation-people?

Apparently.

Who knew (MTA) was in the business of imposing morality along with getting riders from A to B timely and efficiently?

But then, if (MTA) can’t do the latter, and even the mafia laughs at it on the former...zdJ1R.gif

I've been at board meetings where small business owners speak, thanking the (MTA) for giving them a chance, but this is ridiculous.  Aside from what was stated in the article, you have to wonder if there's a shortage of vendors, otherwise it makes no sense to hire corrupt ones repeatedly knowing the deal.  Then you have to have someone watch them.  $$$... All of this when an agency is crying poverty.  Dare I say this, but I'd like to know what these vendors were hired for and what work did they supposedly do?  I still recall the instances of workers falsifying signal inspections and look at the mess we have today.  Ongoing delays due to signal problems.  

2 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I've been at board meetings where small business owners speak, thanking the (MTA) for giving them a chance, but this is ridiculous.  Aside from what was stated in the article, you have to wonder if there's a shortage of vendors, otherwise it makes no sense to hire corrupt ones repeatedly knowing the deal.  Then you have to have someone watch them.  $$$... All of this when an agency is crying poverty.  Dare I say this, but I'd like to know what these vendors were hired for and what work did they supposedly do?  I still recall the instances of workers falsifying signal inspections and look at the mess we have today.  Ongoing delays due to signal problems.  

Click this for your thumbs up

https://tenor.com/N9x1.gif

6 hours ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

Bs like this is probably the reason why projects like the Culver and Jamaica projects keep on getting delayed.

Or they figure there would be unintended consequences if corrupt companies are banned from being used by the (MTA)

Archived