MTA worker falls to his death while clearing garbage from tracks

Dannny

SOURCE: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/manhattan/mta-worker-falls-death-clearing-garbage-tracks-article-1.3885503

An MTA worker cleaning tracks near the E. 125th St. subway station fell to his death Tuesday morning, disrupting subway service.

The 23-year-old had about six months on the job and was part of a crew removing debris on a stretch of southbound 6 train tracks in a tunnel about 100 feet south of the East Harlem station at Lexington Ave., cops said.

His name is being withheld pending family notification.

Co-workers heard a shout, and he first tumbled while loading a work train before 4:50 a.m., transit sources said, then fell from something onto the southbound 4/5 track.

He was pulled to the platform alive and died about 40 minutes to an hour later.

“Even though the emergency services worked really hard, they tried CPR — they really did try valiantly to save him — he unfortunately passed about an hour after that,” Transit Authority President Andy Byford told reporters. “So obviously our first thoughts are with him.”

Byford added, “This is something you dread, working in this line of business.” Early morning subway service on the 4, 5 and 6 trains was disrupted because of the incident.

There are No. 4 trains between E. 86th St. and the 149th St-Grand Concourse station, the MTA said, and 6 train service was suspended between E. 86th St. and 3 Av-138 St.

Southbound 5 trains between Nereid Ave. and E. 180th street were also canceled, the MTA said. The line is running on the 2 track between the 149 St-Grand Concourse and Nevins St. stations.

Bus after bus loaded with commuters poured down Lexington Ave. to E. 116th St. Long lines of frustrated straphangers waited for even more buses.

“This is bad, this is crazy,” said Jason Williams, 25. “Every bus that comes everyone packs into it and the rest of us can't get on.”

“I think for the most part they're doing the best they can,” he added of the MTA.

"I texted my manager, she understands. She's late too. The whole city will be late for work today."

Byford said about 15 buses were directed to the shuttle service with more coming.

“We do appreciate this will be very inconvenient for customers, but on days like this our main thoughts are with our poor deceased colleague and we are making sure they looked after,” Byford said.

Not all the straphangers were irked at the MTA.

“The MTA needs a lot of work, there are thousands of people trying to get to work at one time. I don't know what more they can do,” Shayna Grant, 28, said.

"I told my boss I'm going to be a few hours late today. It's horrible, but it is what it is. We just all have to deal with it."

Hotel worker Christina Haizel, of the Bronx, 46, had to take two shuttle buses from 149th St. to 125th, and from 125th downtown to her workplace at 51st St.

“It's not good,” she said. “There's traffic. Traffic is jammed. I'm stuck.”

In a statement, the Transport Workers Union extended its condolences to the young man’s family.

“This is a tragedy, not just for this young man and his family, but for the entire City,” the union said.

“While millions of New Yorkers were asleep, this young transit workers was on the job in a tunnel beneath Manhattan so others could get to work or school or wherever else they need to go in the morning. We will be involved in a full investigation to determine how this tragedy happened.”

My Condolences to the Family.

Archived