MTA Launches New First of Its Kind Bus Performance Dashboard

checkmatechamp13

http://www.mta.info/press-release/nyc-transit/mta-launches-new-first-its-kind-bus-performance-dashboard

It would be nice if the data was broken down by route, but it's a start. (I remember on Subchat, somebody listed not just on-time performance, but also early vs. late buses by route). 

Also, weekend data is not available on the dashboard (neither is SBS data)

20 minutes ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

http://www.mta.info/press-release/nyc-transit/mta-launches-new-first-its-kind-bus-performance-dashboard

It would be nice if the data was broken down by route, but it's a start. (I remember on Subchat, somebody listed not just on-time performance, but also early vs. late buses by route). 

Also, weekend data is not available on the dashboard (neither is SBS data)

Bus turnaround is another source for that if you want to check individual routes. 

All I see are plot graphs. That doesn't tell me anything I actually need to know, like:

• Why the S52 can't get to the ferry before the damn boat leaves
  • Why the S40/44 can show on BusTime as 1 stop/2 minutes away for 5 minutes
  • How many drivers call out and aren't replaced, and is it rampant for one bus route or depot
  • Why these buses bunch and the driver of the empty bus doesn't pass the full bus
  • Why I have to stand next to the windshield on buses being so packed instead of (MTA) increasing service frequency or enforcing penalties for late departures

Bar graphs and plot graphs are great for patting one's own ass in meetings, but doesn't do the individual any damn good

Bus MDBF on this, YESSSSSSS!!!!

Wait, I clicked on it and it doesn't have the different fleet models like the subway one does, booo <_<

Anyway the bus fleet averages some 6,000 miles and change between breakdowns, since bus MDBF stats are so hard to find in general, I have no idea if that's good or bad :lol:

Just checked that you choose each borough for MDBF, Staten Island has the highest MDBF with numbers in the low 20,000s, Manhattan is the lowest with 3,000 miles. 

Staten Island has came a long way, they used to be the worst now they are BY far the best depots in the city, higher MDBF numbers than the other four boroughs by a landslide. 

Kinda shocked by Manhattan being lowest considering that Quill, MTV and MCH is in that borough. Just checked the SBS fleet has 6,000 miles MDBF, the local limited fleet is in the low 2, 3,000s, so Manhattan's low numbers aren't the Nova LSFA fault. 

Flatbush SBS fleet in the 8,000 miles between MDBF, nice to see my favorite depot is putting up good numbers.

From what I gather, the Prevosts and the MCI's are far more reliable than the local buses in every borough except for SI, even YON and ECH buses are putting up numbers in the 11 and 12,000s despite them being up there in age. SI local buses are in the double digits as well.

1 hour ago, trainfan22 said:

Kinda shocked by Manhattan being lowest considering that Quill, MTV and MCH is in that borough. Just checked the SBS fleet has 6,000 miles MDBF, the local limited fleet is in the low 2, 3,000s, so Manhattan's low numbers aren't the Nova LSFA fault. 

Flatbush SBS fleet in the 8,000 miles between MDBF, nice to see my favorite depot is putting up good numbers.

From what I gather, the Prevosts and the MCI's are far more reliable than the local buses in every borough except for SI, even YON and ECH buses are putting up numbers in the 11 and 12,000s despite them being up there in age. SI local buses are in the double digits as well.

The thing is that Manhattan buses have to deal with a lot more stop-and-go traffic compared to Staten Island buses (which also explains why the MCIs & Prevosts have a higher MDBF despite their age), which wears on the engine and brakes. So while maintenance has something to do with it, the conditions faced by the routes also plays a role. (Not sure which borough has the worse potholes, though)

Archived