Why the not-in-service bus won't stop for you

BrooklynBus

17 hours ago, Deucey said:

Very salient letter @BrooklynBus. Too many times dealing with B38 Ltd or waiting for S40/44 and seeing empty buses roll by while I and others are left just reeks of narrow financial gains trumping public service.

Andy Byford has read the article and has asked his bus people for an explanation. That is a very good sign. 

8 minutes ago, Gotham Bus Co. said:

Are you still hitting people over the head with a job you held for less than a year, almost 40 years ago?

You are the jealous one aren't you? You would like that job for just five minutes. I was head of Brooklyn Bus Planning for 2 1/2 years and I already explained why it was no fault of my own I was Director of Bus Planning citywide for only six months. 

Instead of showing your jealously, how about making a comment about the article? Are you even capable of an intelligent remark? 

NIS buses are really disheartening, when I took the Q111/113/114 there seemed to be a fleet of them. I could understand them not doing partial routes there however, since Baisley park is nowhere near Jamaica/Archer where everyone wanted to go. 

20 minutes ago, Jsunflyguy said:

NIS buses are really disheartening, when I took the Q111/113/114 there seemed to be a fleet of them. I could understand them not doing partial routes there however, since Baisley park is nowhere near Jamaica/Archer where everyone wanted to go. 

They could do trips from Jamaica to Linden Blvd (or even if they ran from Rosedale/Far Rockaway, at least it helps people who might be going home to say, Rochdale Village or something)

55 minutes ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

They could do trips from Jamaica to Linden Blvd (or even if they ran from Rosedale/Far Rockaway, at least it helps people who might be going home to say, Rochdale Village or something)

I should clarify, I was at Rochdale and the NIS parade was heading north to Baisley, I don't think I've seen NIS buses going south along Brewer, most of the Depot runs dropped out at Rochdale or ran full route and NIS back from Far Rock from what I saw.

However, I learned from a trainer of bus operators that there is no longer a requirement for the bus operator to ask passengers to move to the rear. Bus operators are instructed to bypass all stops as soon as any passenger is standing near the white line. If 40 people are seated and ten are standing in front, this is enough justification for bus operators to bypass or flag bus stops. The MTA also no longer keeps records of bus stops that are flagged.

i hate this, i wish mta force bus drivers to take action. i lost count on how many bus bypass my stop due to the lazy folks not moving the rear. The rear of the bus is complexity empty.. The bus could of stopped and let people board using the rear door. At least this is allowable on the SBS routes

42 minutes ago, azspeedbullet said:

i hate this, i wish mta force bus drivers to take action. i lost count on how many bus bypass my stop due to the lazy folks not moving the rear. The rear of the bus is complexity empty.. The bus could of stopped and let people board using the rear door. At least this is allowable on the SBS routes

That only happened once where I am. The bus stopped and motioned for me to go into the rear door and opened it so I could get on. I yelled thank you because he probably saved me a half hour. That should be official policy. 

12 hours ago, BrooklynBus said:

That only happened once where I am. The bus stopped and motioned for me to go into the rear door and opened it so I could get on. I yelled thank you because he probably saved me a half hour. That should be official policy. 

This happens regularly on S52/42 because the Curtis High students don’t move.

Since I get on one stop before the Curtis High stop, it wouldn’t be necessary to miss fares through rear door boarding if the students just walked the 3 minutes to the campus entrance, but then I wouldn’t have to board through the rear door if I walked the 3 minutes to the Curtis High stop to get on.

Occasionally happens on S40/44 at Westervelt and at St Peters, but now the norm is to leave us standing there waiting for the next bus. It’s why ranted months ago about using NIS buses as supplementals on routes to the ferry during peak and when scheduled services are delayed.

On Friday I had to wait over 20 minutes for a Q58 bus right on 67 Ave and Fresh Pond Road and still no Flushing bound bus came by the time I called it quits and took the shuttle (M) to the Metropolitan for the Q38 . All I kept seeing  was tons of bus heading right into the depot. I saw at least 3 to 4 Ridgewood Terminal Q58’s and none of them went back into service to Flushing. Like what kind of nonsense is that and then they want to raise the fare all the time. The MTA’s practices are stupid. They  don’t know how to plan accordingly. If three buses are bunched up don’t sent all of them back to the terminal to then go back down the route. At least short turn one and have that one fill in the gap in service. 

12 hours ago, Deucey said:

This happens regularly on S52/42 because the Curtis High students don’t move.

Since I get on one stop before the Curtis High stop, it wouldn’t be necessary to miss fares through rear door boarding if the students just walked the 3 minutes to the campus entrance, but then I wouldn’t have to board through the rear door if I walked the 3 minutes to the Curtis High stop to get on.

Occasionally happens on S40/44 at Westervelt and at St Peters, but now the norm is to leave us standing there waiting for the next bus. It’s why ranted months ago about using NIS buses as supplementals on routes to the ferry during peak and when scheduled services are delayed.

To a certain extent I think some of those issues could be alleviated by reworking how the locals interact with the limiteds. The stops on the S90 are pretty far apart, so there's people in some areas who have no choice but to take the locals (I'm thinking of people in the vicinity of Morningstar Road and Clove Road, maybe toss Bard Avenue into the mix as well). If the S90 had a few stops added, and the S44 ran a similar pattern in the morning compared to the afternoon (locals start at Jewett, limiteds start at the SI Mall), that would distribute loads better between the locals and limiteds.

But I do agree that not-in-service buses should be used to supplement the regular trips at least in the area east of say, Snug Harbor (if not all the way from Clove Road).

3 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

The question I (more) have is, simply..... Why does it seem like there's an increase in the amt. of not in service buses rolling around & about...

A lot of these buses get orders from a remote dispatcher to deadhead from the terminal to other points down the route in order to make up time.

Nothing like having a guy sitting on his ass making $30 an hour looking at a computer screen at some basement in East New York dictating where a bus in the Bronx or Staten Island should deadhead to, but that’s the kind of system we have in place today.

4 hours ago, paulrivera said:

A lot of these buses get orders from a remote dispatcher to deadhead from the terminal to other points down the route in order to make up time.

Nothing like having a guy sitting on his ass making $30 an hour looking at a computer screen at some basement in East New York dictating where a bus in the Bronx or Staten Island should deadhead to, but that’s the kind of system we have in place today.

Sometimes they have them out and about but the guy spends most of his day in a coffee shop. lol There's a Euro coffee place I go to on Lexington (FIKA) here and there and this dispatcher lives in there with his touch screen. On occasion he comes out to speak with the B/Os, usually to have them go OOS or short turn at 23rd and 3rd.

I haven't seen him in a while though.

8 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

The question I (more) have is, simply..... Why does it seem like there's an increase in the amt. of not in service buses rolling around & about...

It's not your imagination. It has been increasing over the past ten years as I pointed out. Not only are short trips like B49 from Kingsborough to Avenue R not being made, but as someone pointed out on Buschat, they are running B4s not in service all the way to Gleason instead of running them in service to 5th Avenue. I saw a not in service B82 on Avenue P. Could they be running not in service from East NY depot all the way to Coney Island? The comptroller's report showed one fifth of MTA Bus running not in service, but many are express routes. NYCT was not too far behind with16 percent, among the highest in the country.

Archived