Flatbush Avenue bound 2/5 trains

transitfan111

Hi I’m new here. I have a dying question to ask. So whenever I’m standing at the Franklin Avenue station why do I see three number 4 trains pass by before I see a single Flatbush Avenue bound 2 or 5? I think it’s just ridiculous considering that the 4 going to crown heights is practically empty whereas the 2 and 5 trains are always packed. I understand that there is capacity issues on the Nostrand line but I’m sure it can run more than what it is currently running. This problem is even worse in the weekends! 20 minute waits for a Flatbush 5 is ridiculous. Anyone know why?

10 minutes ago, transitfan111 said:

Hi I’m new here. I have a dying question to ask. So whenever I’m standing at the Franklin Avenue station why do I see three number 4 trains pass by before I see a single Flatbush Avenue bound 2 or 5? I think it’s just ridiculous considering that the 4 going to crown heights is practically empty whereas the 2 and 5 trains are always packed. I understand that there is capacity issues on the Nostrand line but I’m sure it can run more than what it is currently running. This problem is even worse in the weekends! 20 minute waits for a Flatbush 5 is ridiculous. Anyone know why?

I think part of the reason is that the (5) is treated as supplemental service, hence the headways.

8 minutes ago, transitfan111 said:

Welcome to the forums...:)...Well my take on it why youll see more (4)s than :2: and (5) at times mainly due to merging and sometimes signal delays...On wkends i think its 10mins that makes it feels like 20 mins...:D...But you'll get more and better info from other members here..   

3 minutes ago, transitfan111 said:

But how does that explain the lack of 2 train service? 2 trains are more packed than the 4. 

Supposedly because the (2) shares tracks with the (5) and (3) for a good portion of its route, which hampers the amount of trains that can run despite how crowded the line is.   I'm not disagreeing with you at all.  From a passenger perspective it's BS.  The way I see it is just another excuse as to why they can't meet demand. With the amount of money this agency gets, if they stopped hiring corrupt vendors, they'd have more money to upgrade the system the way it should be.

1 hour ago, biGC323232 said:

Welcome to the forums...:)...Well my take on it why youll see more (4)s than :2: and (5) at times mainly due to merging and sometimes signal delays...On wkends i think its 10mins that makes it feels like 20 mins...:D...But you'll get more and better info from other members here..   

Hmm that’s a good point! But would it kill them to run a 4 to Flatbush on the weekends when the 5 is delayed to 20 mins? From my experience they never do! They keep running those empty 4 trains to New Lots on the weekends. 

3 minutes ago, transitfan111 said:

Hmm that’s a good point! But would it kill them to run a 4 to Flatbush on the weekends when the 5 is delayed to 20 mins? From my experience they never do! They keep running those empty 4 trains to New Lots on the weekends. 

It would kill them because they're Manhattan centric.  I used to notice how many (5) trains would run to Bowling Green and terminate there when I lived on Staten Island.  You could have a nice long wait before a (4) would come.  Has to be super annoying.  

@transitfan111 First off, welcome to the forums. As for your questions, you aren't imagining things. The (4) runs more frequently than the (5), especially on weekends as part of the Clark St tunnel work. Weekend (5) service, operating at the former (2) line levels, only runs every 12 minutes on weekends, compared to the eight minute intervals on the (4). The low frequencies on the weekend (2) and (5) routes were the result of the 2010 service cuts and have not been rectified since.

On the weekday side, the usual reason is congestion and failing infrastructure.

As for rerouting some (4) trains to Flatbush Av, the problem with that is you're effectively abandoning an interval out of New Lots because that train running to New Lots is usually returning back to Woodlawn. All you'd do there is shift the waits from Nostrand Ave over to Livonia Ave.

4 hours ago, transitfan111 said:

Welcome to the forums fellow Nostrand Av-rider. I know exactly how you feel - but I didn't realize exactly how bad this until I looked up the schedule. From ~4:30 to 5 the (2) and (5) to Flatbush are actually scheduled to arrive at Franklin Av around the same time. Thankfully(?) they're often off-schedule.

ygWNQG5.png (from http://boerumhillscott.com/transit/TripsFromStation.php

Others have gone on all about how terrible weekday (2)(5) service in general is. Just my observations:

I would say part of the problem with Nostrand Av line capacity is Flatbush Av itself. I get off at Beverly Rd, so if a late train skips that stop, if I'm not feeling waiting on the platform at or walking home from Church Av I'll just ride down to Flatbush Avenue then ride back to Beverly Road on the northbound trip. One time this happened the train took several minutes to leave Flatbush heading back to the Bronx, enough time that the train behind us actually arrived at Flatbush Av before we left, which to me pretty much defeats the purpose of skipping stops. I wouldn't be surprised if the dispatching of trains at Flatbush Av wasn't as efficient as it could be.

Depending on how long it takes to relay and fumigate trains at Utica, it could potentially be faster than running to Flatbush, saving time and trainsets, which we don't have a lot of, which would be another reason we see some (5)s turn at Utica, but I don't know this for sure. 

As for weekend service, I'm pretty stumped myself. My uneducated guess would be that on weekends with particularly disruptive work (like the (4)(5)(6) all sharing track from 42nd to City Hall or 42nd to 125th) supplement schedules don't give enough time to account for construction or merging delays, which is the waits are typically so long. It's worth noting that according to the MTA, weekend (2) on-time performance has been horrifically low (17% in January and 5% in December) which leads me to believe that, construction delays aside, the timetables and supplement schedules flat-out don't give enough time from end-to-end. It does look like OTP is improving slightly recently which is something. (4) trips shouldn't be rerouted from New Lots though, I think the Utica/New Lots branch has it bad enough with their decreased service. 

kBUVMtd.png

http://web.mta.info/mta/news/books/pdf/180220_1000_Transit.pdf (page 51) 

Archived