When Can We Expect Results From Andy Byford?

Via Garibaldi 8

1 minute ago, EastFlatbushLarry said:

I find it to be 60/40. If you have no experience before MTA, 60% chance you'll be terminated if you make it thru the 7-10 days. And the 40% who do are absolute work hogs and study their craft (and they make up 5% of the total 20% of potential employees who initially sign up to be bus operators) alot of those operators will move on to be SLD's at some point.

SLD's??

57 minutes ago, EastFlatbushLarry said:

Surface Line Dispatchers... That's the official title for MTA dispatchers, on the street or in the depot

Interesting that they still haven't changed the terminology. Surface became "Buses" in 1984, almost 30 years after the last trolley operated.

16 hours ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

I believe there's a rule that they can only write you up for running more than 3 minutes early (somebody can correct me if I'm wrong). It's not good if a bus is early, but if it's a choice between a bus being 2 minutes early or 20 minutes late, I'd go with the former. 

In the (A)(C) report, they mention on page 33 that on-time dispatching is an issue. Not sure how much they've done to correct it on the (A)(C) but they should look into doing something similar with the buses. If a bus is at the terminal it should be ready to leave at the scheduled time unless the dispatcher says otherwise (e.g. Holding for a ferry connection at St. George or for a late night train connection at Coney Island, or ideally, if they're using BusTime and BusTrek, they can tell them to hold for regular bus-bus connections when necessary). 

Been many a time I waited for B32/Q59 at Bridge Plaza and the buses left 10 minutes late because BOs and dispatcher/supervisor/whatever were in mid conversation and it was more important than me and the 10 others waiting getting to our jobs on-time.

Even asked on BO when he intended on leaving and his reply was "when I feel like it."

16 minutes ago, Q43LTD said:

I'm not buying the ride the subway tip with Byford. Same when DeBlasio spent the night at NYCHA complex

Supposedly he uses the subway regularly to get to and from work, but the question is when?  Is he sitting through the same delays or super packed trains that we have to put up with? 

18 minutes ago, Gotham Bus Co. said:

How would that work?

They kind of do it now. At bus stops where there are countdown clocks, in some cases they removed the schedules. What they would like to do is just say how much time is due between the next bus, which is BS because it would allow them to run service as they please. They can cut buses from the schedule and who would know...

3 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

They kind of do it now. At bus stops where there are countdown clocks, in some cases they removed the schedules. What they would like to do is just say how much time is due between the next bus, which is BS because it would allow them to run service as they please. They can cut buses from the schedule and who would know...

Are you saying only that the schedule panels are being removed from the Guide-A-Ride boxes? Or are you saying that the service itself is no longer being scheduled (i.e. bus operators are no longer picking schedules)?

1 hour ago, Gotham Bus Co. said:

Are you saying only that the schedule panels are being removed from the Guide-A-Ride boxes? Or are you saying that the service itself is no longer being scheduled (i.e. bus operators are no longer picking schedules)?

I'm saying for now that at some stops the schedule panels have been removed and they just use the countdown clocks. 

2 minutes ago, Gotham Bus Co. said:

In other words, there is still an actual schedule, but it's not being communicated to the public.

Yep. It's quite annoying too. They've started this on the M34 at some stops. It doesn't aid ridership because I want to know when the bus is due. There have been times that I've just said screw it and started walking. If there are no buses on BusTime and you've been waiting a bit, then the schedule helps. I find the M34-SBS runs pretty spotty but comes according to the schedule late at night. They're so infrequent that a schedule in my mind is a must.

Archived