Question about Retirement

VNII

Hi All,

I met an MTA worker a few weeks ago, who pretty much convinced me to apply for job...actually a career....as an train operator.  I am really considering doing so, because the career seems interesting along with  the nice benefits. However someone was telling me that when an MTA worker (train operator) reaches a certain older age, the MTA forces retirement upon that person. The reason I was told, for example, was a person's eyesight.  Eyesight gets worse with age and therefore the MTA forces you to stop working due to obvious hazardous reasons.  

Can anyone tell me if that's true?

Thanks!

1 hour ago, VNII said:

Hi All,

I met an MTA worker a few weeks ago, who pretty much convinced me to apply for job...actually a career....as an train operator.  I am really considering doing so, because the career seems interesting along with  the nice benefits. However someone was telling me that when an MTA worker (train operator) reaches a certain older age, the MTA forces retirement upon that person. The reason I was told, for example, was a person's eyesight.  Eyesight gets worse with age and therefore the MTA forces you to stop working due to obvious hazardous reasons.  

Can anyone tell me if that's true?

Thanks!

I haven't heard of "being forced to retire" like this since we have some 60 and 70 year olds operating throughout the system. However, what is true is that if you do not pass the medical examination, then you will be held out of service and on restricted duty until you can have the issue rectified. Restricted duty meaning that you will be cleaning, helping in the office, etc. Maybe a RTO employee can elaborate on this better since I'm on the Buses side. 

@SubwayGuy @INDman

Archived