Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.

Does Gillig even bid? It was always - like Crown Coach, a West Coast company with little east coast distribution.

1 minute ago, Deucey said:

Does Gillig even bid? It was always - like Crown Coach, a West Coast company with little east coast distribution.

Quire a few east coast companies have Gilligs. DASH Alexandria, BAT, DART, Pittsburgh, Prince George's county The Bus, Gainsville, MARTA, CDTA, MVRTA, RIPTA,  and dozens upon dozens of smaller transit compnies (GoRaleigh, etc.).

And yes, iirc Gillig doesn't bid.

----

Anyway, I heard the old excuse was that Gillig buses weren't built well enough to handle the crummy NYC streets. Lately, the newest reason I've been hearing is that Gillig doesn't like to deal with these massive couple-hundred bus orders that the MTA typically places.

Just as well though, this seems to gradually be changing, especially as incdicated by the MARTA BRT order

1 hour ago, Orion6025 said:

Quire a few east coast companies have Gilligs. DASH Alexandria, BAT, DART, Pittsburgh, Prince George's county The Bus, Gainsville, MARTA, CDTA, MVRTA, RIPTA,  and dozens upon dozens of smaller transit compnies (GoRaleigh, etc.).

And yes, iirc Gillig doesn't bid.

----

Anyway, I heard the old excuse was that Gillig buses weren't built well enough to handle the crummy NYC streets. Lately, the newest reason I've been hearing is that Gillig doesn't like to deal with these massive couple-hundred bus orders that the MTA typically places.

Just as well though, this seems to gradually be changing, especially as incdicated by the MARTA BRT order

That's a change for Gillig, since you'd see their Phantoms everywhere until you got east of St Louis.

But that new ownership might be feeling bullish since Orion and NABI disappeared.

Gillig seems to shy away from orders from Major cities, they can run here, if they survived the shaker table test they can survive NYC streets.

1 hour ago, trainfan22 said:

Gillig seems to shy away from orders from Major cities, they can run here, if they survived the shaker table test they can survive NYC streets.

I dont see why Gilligs wouldn't be able to survive NYC streets other big cites have them and run just fine.

5 hours ago, doglover44 said:

I dont see why Gilligs wouldn't be able to survive NYC streets other big cites have them and run just fine.

That's all what they run down here in Brevard Country (FL), and seems like other transit systems down here as well.

Pittsburgh's PAT (Port Authority Transit) is probably the biggest Gillig buyer, except for the Artics everything is a standard Gillig Low-Floor. Pittsburgh streets are NYC condition, but with serious hills as well, and Pittsburgh East Side bus routes carries some serious Crushloads of people all day long. Pittsburgh is probably the best case-study for NYC as far as Gilligs. Early on 2002-2004 (52, 53 and 54 -series) Gilligs were the WORST manufactured seriously could not handle Pittsburgh streets and crushloads well, and they aged horribly. But as time went on starting with the 2005-2006 series (I guess PAT forced) you could start to see a better standard low floor product. PAT just received 100 (I think) 2017 series Standard Low Floors, compare them to the 2002-2004 batch, a serious comeuppance.  They now fully handle Pittsburgh streets and crushloads, much more reliable a bus, and they feel much heavier now than back in 2002-2004. 

Gillig will probably never handle cities much bigger than Pittsburgh, Seattle, Minneapolis who orders 100-150 buses at a time... MTA with its 600-700 bus orders would overwhelm Gillig. I don't think Gillig would even bother with SEPTA, CTA, or DC METRO

Edited by Lennyj17

Gillig wants nothing to do with NYMTA or NJ Transit. They don't look at them as a necessity like New Flyer or Nova Bus does. They're using the same philosophy like NABI did, as they are comfortable with the idea that they don't need MTA or NJ Transit orders to stay afloat.

They're doing just fine elsewhere, as they're getting lots and lots of orders from other agencies, including King County Metro, MARTA, Centro and many others.

Edited by Cait Sith

8 hours ago, Lennyj17 said:

Pittsburgh's PAT (Port Authority Transit) is probably the biggest Gillig buyer, except for the Artics everything is a standard Gillig Low-Floor. Pittsburgh streets are NYC condition, but with serious hills as well, and Pittsburgh East Side bus routes carries some serious Crushloads of people all day long. Pittsburgh is probably the best case-study for NYC as far as Gilligs. Early on 2002-2004 (52, 53 and 54 -series) Gilligs were the WORST manufactured seriously could not handle Pittsburgh streets and crushloads well, and they aged horribly. But as time went on starting with the 2005-2006 series (I guess PAT forced) you could start to see a better standard low floor product. PAT just received 100 (I think) 2017 series Standard Low Floors, compare them to the 2002-2004 batch, a serious comeuppance.  They now fully handle Pittsburgh streets and crushloads, much more reliable a bus, and they feel much heavier now than back in 2002-2004. 

Gillig will probably never handle cities much bigger than Pittsburgh, Seattle, Minneapolis who orders 100-150 buses at a time... MTA with its 600-700 bus orders would overwhelm Gillig. I don't think Gillig would even bother with SEPTA, CTA, or DC METRO

Very interesting didn't know any of this !

On 3/28/2018 at 6:50 PM, trainfan22 said:

Sun Tran in Tucson is Gillig.

Just rename the company to giggity at least it will sound cool.

• LMAO! 2