Footage of the HUGE abandoned mezzanine at the Nostrand Avenue (A)(C) station.

Cabanamaner

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8pKlIiBbFA

I was scrolling through YouTube videos of abandoned areas in the NYC Subway System when I came across this video. Apparently, the Nostrand Avenue Station on the (A) and (C) lines once had entrances to Bedford Avenue, which featured these long passageways and mezzanine. What's curious is that this station has pretty high ridership, with the small entrances at Nostrand Avenue being cramped as hell with so many people entering and exiting. This abandoned mezzanine looks like it could handle the high traffic this station sees daily, especially during rush hour. Thoughts?

I've used the Bedford Avenue entrance quite a few times years ago. It's almost equidistant between the Nostrand Avenue (A) , (C)  station entrance and the Franklin Avenue (A) , (C) , (S)  station. It provided a crossover between the north and southbound local and express trains. There's also a sign and provisions for an entrance/exit to Arlington Place on the n/b express platform although I've never seen any evidence of it on the street level. That exit would have been about halfway between Bedford and Nostrand Avenues. The long passageway was closed for "security" reasons years ago. I advocated for it's re-opening when the B44SBS was introduced with it's stop at Bedford Avenue and Fulton Street. Maybe a surface user can update the situation on the street over there. Carry on.

Why do something helpful when no one is telling you to, and you can just let it rot?

^MTA logic. 

In general, the agency needs to get their act together on closed entrances. Making stations more accessible relieves stair surges, and in the case of a inaccessible low ridership station near a very accessible higher ridership one, can help attract people away from the latter, evening out loads. 

Archived