Abandoned Segments that could have changed the subway today.

Lawrence St

So first up, we got Roosevelt Av Upper Level:

You can't even tell that a station once existed there anymore, but anyway.

If this would be restored, I would extend the Rockaway Park Shuttle from Broad Channel to over the RBB to Forest Hills, then over the QBL Local to Roosevelt Av and then terminate on the upper level, this service would be called the (H) .

Next up: Nevins St

I don't remember why they built this exactly, was this suppose to be a Flatland Av extension?

Next Up: City Hall

What was the point of THIS? Was this suppose to be the original terminal for Broadway Local lines?

And then the major one we all know and love:

I really wish we can find a use for this in the IND Second System.

What do you guys think the subway would look like today if these were completed?

5 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

Next up: Nevins St

I don't remember why they built this exactly, was this suppose to be a Flatland Av extension?

Next Up: City Hall

What was the point of THIS? Was this suppose to be the original terminal for Broadway Local lines?

What do you guys think the subway would look like today if these were completed?

To answer these questions, the Dual Contracts were still being negotiated while everything was being built. Nevins lower was built in case the IRT got a line over the Manhattan Bridge. City Hall Lower was built as a terminal for local trains like Brooklyn Bridge because the Manhattan Bridge connection was not part of the original plans.

You could just look this stuff up.

6 hours ago, bobtehpanda said:

To answer these questions, the Dual Contracts were still being negotiated while everything was being built. Nevins lower was built in case the IRT got a line over the Manhattan Bridge. City Hall Lower was built as a terminal for local trains like Brooklyn Bridge because the Manhattan Bridge connection was not part of the original plans.

You could just look this stuff up.

If I'm not mistaken, City Hall Lower was intended to be the through level for express trains, while local trains were to terminate on the upper level.

2 hours ago, P3F said:

If I'm not mistaken, City Hall Lower was intended to be the through level for express trains, while local trains were to terminate on the upper level.

Because the track maps on NYCSubway.org get me confused,

Before they severed the Nassau connection to the Manhattan Bridge, it was originally the 6th Av and Nassau tracks only on the Manhattan Bridge, while Broadway just continued to go via Lower Manhattan?

3 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

Because the track maps on NYCSubway.org get me confused,

Before they severed the Nassau connection to the Manhattan Bridge, it was originally the 6th Av and Nassau tracks only on the Manhattan Bridge, while Broadway just continued to go via Lower Manhattan?

No. Broadway ran on the north side, Nassau on the south side, and 6th Avenue express tracks ran through and ended at 2nd Avenue. Also keep in mind that the portion of 6th Avenue express between W4 and 34 was not built until chrystie in 1967. Before then, B trains ended at 34 on the middle tracks, and nothing except for Fs ending at 2nd ave used the exp tracks south of W4. 

19 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

We know what the IND intended the subway to look like. We have the proposal maps from 1929 and 1939. Had they actually gotten around to completing their second system plans, it would've looked something like that.

Archived