RethinkNYC Discussion Thread

KK 6 Ave Local

On 4/4/2018 at 6:34 PM, LGA Link N train said:

In one their early proposals, they proposed having the Dyre (Q) extension. But when I looked at Google Maps on satellite mode, I was like..

Aw, crap

There's a building. And it looks at people like us like 乁( ⏒ ͜ʖ ⏒ )ㄏ

2 hours ago, thicctrain said:

I've looked into it, turns out there is vacant land to the west.

Sorry, but nowhere along the NEC in Port Morris is there enough vacant land on either side of the tracks to construct a rail yard, a massive interchange station, or both, without some major property acquisition and demolition. There are public works projects for which eminent domain is warranted, but ReThinkNYC is certainly not one of them.

25 minutes ago, officiallyliam said:

Sorry, but nowhere along the NEC in Port Morris is there enough vacant land on either side of the tracks to construct a rail yard, a massive interchange station, or both, without some major property acquisition and demolition. There are public works projects for which eminent domain is warranted, but ReThinkNYC is certainly not one of them.

I see. Would Sunny terminal work?

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...
On 4/4/2018 at 10:15 AM, B35 via Church said:

Thanks for the link; as I didn't know what a "Rethink NYC" was; there's enough of these plans floating around as of late to try to keep up with....

Anyway, looking at that map, it reminds me of this dude named Nexis4Jersey that used to frequent these transit forums some odd years ago.... Albeit much less active, he was basically the @Wallyhorse of the RR network in the tri-state area.... Wouldn't be surprised if he was behind this ReThink NYC bit, with as extensive & ambitious as he was with his ideas....

Anyway, while I can see the benefits, I'm not & really never been all that wild about expanding the rail network in regional sense.... Hell, NYC/MTA can't even get their own shit straight as things are now, for me to want to buy into some rail line{s} that cut through Manhattan to get [to/from LI or NJ] or [to/from CT or NJ]... Seriously, any of you ever taken the NEC from Trenton to NY-Penn? Couple of these gray hairs in my head probably came from some of those trips I did that entailed enduring that ride..... And from the looks of things, I'm not the only one on these parts that frown upon that line....

=======================

As for that graphic/sample commute (completely ignoring the practicality of it)... A mode (rail) that'd shave off 2 transfers between that distance that would only save ~ 1/2 hour, really isn't anything too spectacular.....

Furthermore, NJT #78 runs b/w Newark-Penn & Secaucus (UPS), which is absolutely no where near Summit...
The only route "78" that takes you to Summit, is I-78 :lol: 
Only bus route I can think of off-top that runs in Summit, is the NJT #70; the Livingston Mall route...

AFAIC, they should "ReThink" some of these ideas !

Sorry for the yearly bump , but I can say that while i'm flattered it wasn't me who came up with Rethinknyc.    I was one of the many people picking it apart, which they have since to their credit mostly addressed although still leaving a few big ones mainly on the NJ side.     I mainly comment on Reddit & Skyscrapercity now but I sometimes check this site.     I do support through running but it needs to be done correctly and on a larger regional scale like the RER in Paris or S-bahn's of Germany.     There are an estimated 250,000 commuters who live in NJ and work in the outer boros mainly Queens & Brooklyn and the vast majority of those carpool to work believe it or not.     The current Rethinknyc route doesn't really address this and has some questionable duplicates on the NJ side when it comes to LRT.   Most of which is not possible due to ROW constraints or would better be serviced by bumping up the existing train service along said corridor which is usually just one train per hour.    There are severe overcrowding issues in the Urban Jersey bus divisions but neither Rethinknyc or the RPA address this nor do they address the various suburban transit deserts.      Its really just a pipe dream , decking over or filling in the East River to expand LGA is probably one of the worst ideas ive ever heard and the fact that the glossy graphics have some of my environmental gobbled up it or overlooked it disturbs me.

On 4/4/2018 at 10:51 AM, B35 via Church said:

Ah, the private carriers...... Well then that's misleading to put "NJT bus #78".

Yeah, and also within this particular proposal in question, they also have the (Q) going to Pelham Bay Park, the (5) going to 238th all times, and the (6) going via the Dyre av (5) line.....

I just can't.....

That was the '70s proposal for the Bronx extensions of the SAS.

I blame the LSD.

1 hour ago, bobtehpanda said:

That was the '70s proposal for the Bronx extensions of the SAS.

I blame the LSD.

I don't know why you would want to send service up one of the least used lines in the system.    The Ideal routing should be along the congestion 3rd Avenue corridor which has seem rapid redevelopment in recent years.

5 hours ago, Nexis4Jersey said:

I don't know why you would want to send service up one of the least used lines in the system.    The Ideal routing should be along the congestion 3rd Avenue corridor which has seem rapid redevelopment in recent years.

The plans were made in  the '60s, before MLK was killed and the Bronx started burning. They thought they could do both, because they never planned a line to Manhattanville like the 2004 version.

It was basically going to be the Bronx's Chrystie St connection; by hooking up a pair of IND tracks, all of a sudden every single track out would have a track into Manhattan. 3 for WPR, two for Dyre, and two for Pelham.

Archived