MTA did it wrong: you don't have the fire without the shit...

Deucey

(2) train woes, y'all...

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/metal-object-subway-tunnel-sparks-fire-no-2-train-article-1.3917906

Flames erupted between the first and second car of a Brooklyn-bound 2 train at 5:30 p.m., according to a woman who was in the front car.

Sara Frazier was on her way home to Brooklyn with her daughter when an initial "boom" and “bump” at 4;45 p.m. brought the train to a screeching halt in the tunnel between Wall St. and Clark St.

“There was a boom, sparks flew past our left side past our window. There were more booms and it felt like a bump. Everyone screams and then the train came to a stop.”

Frazier smelled smoke and saw passengers in the second car flee to the third car.

After 45 minutes, the conductor decided to move the train to Clark St. with caution. "Two or three seconds later there's another boom and there are 10 foot flames between our car and the second car. It’s a wall of orange. You couldn’t see the second car," the terrified woman said.

An MTA spokesman said there was "emphatically no explosion."

"There could have been a loud noise," he said. He did not comment on whether or not there were ten foot flames. "They took the train out of commission and are investigating." The MTA released a photo on Twitter of a piece of scrap metal that they determined to be responsible for the issue.

53 minutes ago, LGA Link N train said:

Well, that's a new story, thus just proves that (MTA) DESPRATELY NEEDS TO maintain their trains more often 

If you had read the article, you’d see it was scrap metal that caused this. 

Accidents happen. If this was happening every week it’d be a different story, but for now, it’s just the cost of probability. Eventually, these things always happen. 

Another little historical note: the Clark Street tubes were the site of a more major fire in the ‘90s that actually killed passengers, albeit from smoke inhalation, not flame exposure. 

1 hour ago, Jchambers2120 said:

I wonder if this accident is a result of the Sandy related work they're doing in the Clark Street tubes. Time will tell I guess...

It will be covered up. I've had a train BIE over a woven trash bag of chipped up concrete that was left on the tracks to be picked up another night.

When the conductor started to move the train? I think I missed the part where the conductor radioed the RCC and got permission from the Easter Bunny to make that move. Nothing like reporting the “ facts “ these days. Carry on.

5 hours ago, Jchambers2120 said:

"The conductor decided to move the train" No they didn't. -_-

I wonder if this accident is a result of the Sandy related work they're doing in the Clark Street tubes. Time will tell I guess...

2 hours ago, Trainmaster5 said:

When the conductor started to move the train? I think I missed the part where the conductor radioed the RCC and got permission from the Easter Bunny to make that move. Nothing like reporting the “ facts “ these days. Carry on.

Smh, pretty sure it was just an error they made and didn't intentionally meant to mistake operator for conductor, guys <_<.

Archived