NYC Subway dreams

I feel this should be off topic but since I'm limiting this to the NYC subway guess it could stay here. 

Ever had a dream where the subway was involved?? I've had about 3 or so? 

I remember 2 dreams with the R179's involved. One was the 179. Think it was 3065 turning from Crescent Street Station onto Crescent Street and the lights were COMPLETELY off (with the exception of the LCD strips that tell you the time and there were like 4 people in the train. Including me in the T/O cab. Not to mention that my dream took place at night so only the Street lights (and store lights were on) another one (which was recent) was where ALL R179's currently in service Bypass Norwood Avenue while I'm just standing there. (This part of my recent dream Also took place at night)

9 minutes ago, CenSin said:

Most of us don’t dream about trains—especially not in that much detail.

12 minutes ago, RR503 said:

To be honest, I get VERY random and weird dreams and I remember them in Vivid detail. (For instance, random stuff going on in the city or someone getting roasted) And since trains are a part of our everyday lives, it would make sense to see them occasionally. And @RR503 I don't need a therapis, thank you very much. 

I should've put this in the Off topic forum. Mods feel free to lock

2 minutes ago, NoHacksJustKhaks said:

The detail your dreams are more akin to being enveloped in crack cocaine and drugs, seriously, you know there's more to your life than trains and forums... :rolleyes:

Gee, as if I didn't know that. 

(Sarcasm) 

I was bored and realized that I haven't made a thread in a long time so I thought, why not make a random thread since I haven't made one in a while

Just now, LGA Link N train said:

I was bored and realized that I haven't made a thread in a long time so I thought, why not make a random thread since I haven't made one in a while

That makes perfect sense to me. That reminds me of the next thread I should be making in the next few minutes 

Lol I'll bite.

When I was a very young kid (before I could read) I had this nightmare about being lost on the subway once, and the entire dream was me running from train to train through station to station, and I couldn't find my way because I didn't know how to read the rollsigns.

Don't really have any dreams about the subway anymore.

if you’re worried:

Yale Research Confirms What You've Always Suspected: Nobody Is Normal
We're all weirdos, science has confirmed, and that's something to celebrate.

Every day, millions of people around the world ask Google some variation of the question, "Am I normal?" Burdened by shame, we turn to the internet to figure out if our behavior, our bodies, and our deepest emotions mark us as outside the mainstream.

The very fact that so many of us are typing "Is it normal to talk to yourself?" or "How often do couples have sex?" into our browsers late at night suggests that, yes, whatever your quirk, lots of other folks probably have it too. But if search engine data alone seems like a flimsy basis to determine whether or not you're a freak, I have good news for you. Yale research has confirmed it scientifically.

A new review published by two Yale psychologists in Trends in Cognitive Sciences argues that we're all a little bit weird, but being weird is, in fact, totally normal.

There is no such thing as normal.

In order to feel like a weirdo, you have to believe there is such a thing as normal -- a standard or optimal state of being in whatever area you're worried about. Or in other words, for talking to yourself to be strange, it must be true that not talking to yourself is objectively better. And for a question like, "How often do most couples have sex?" to make sense, you need to assume there is a range of sexual behavior that's both common and ideal for all.

The Yale study takes aim at this understanding, revealing the world isn't neatly divided into the healthy or unhealthy, the ideal and the subpar. By analyzing a host of traits -- from the beak shapes of specific bird species to psychological characteristics like our appetite for risk taking -- the authors show that these qualities exist along a continuum, and separating the "normal" from the "weird" is usually impossible.

There are, of course, extreme cases where some characteristic or behavior is clearly unhealthy. If a beak can't crack nuts and the bird is going hungry, the beak is a problem. If your anxiety is so bad you can't leave the house, seek treatment. But for all but the most obvious maladaptations, there is almost always a mix or good and bad results from any given variation.

Take anxiety, for instance. Is it weird and bad if you're more prone to worry than most other people you know? Well, science shows that anxiety is probably keeping you safer, pushing you to be better prepared in important areas of your life, and improving your memory, even if it often doesn't feel good. On net, is that a win or a loss? Or look at risk taking. If you're a little further on the fearless end of the spectrum, your chances of suffering some life-threatening mishap are likely higher, but so are your chances of starting a world-changing company. Our strengths and weaknesses are intimately tied together.

"I would argue that there is no fixed normal," senior author Avram Holmes commented, summing up the findings. "There's a level of variability in every one of our behaviors," and "any behavior is neither solely negative or solely positive. There are potential benefits for both, depending on the context you're placed in."

Let your freak flag fly.

That reality is a challenge for clinical psychologists, the research points out, as it greatly complicates the task of deciding what constitutes a mental illness in need of treatment. But for the rest of us anxious, late-night Googlers, it's good news. Barring obvious dysfunction and misery, you are almost certainly way more normal than you think you are. Or to put it differently, you're weird, but so is everyone else, so stop worrying.

That means you should probably be more positive about both your quirks and those of people around you. "We're all striving towards some artificial, archetypal ideal, whether it's physical appearance or youthfulness or intelligence or personality. But we need to recognize the importance of variability, both in ourselves and in the people around us," concludes Holmes.

We're all freaks together. That's something to celebrate.

This was published recently. I thought I’d keep a copy for myself (as PDF) since I’ve got quite a few screws loose myself (in case you weren’t able to tell).

@LGA Link N train, when I was 7 I dreamed regularly about being a RTD bus driver (now LA Metro).

Even dreamed about driving Line 210 from the Galleria to Hollywood & Highland (when it would layover on Hawthorn Ave).

And I used to tell everyone how interesting it is that 210 laidover on Hawthorn in the north and finished its route on Hawthorne in the south.

Then after the Blue Line opened in 1990, and my family left LA for Sacramento, I used to dream about Metro (then MTA) building a LRT along Crenshaw up to Carmichael (a Sacramento suburb) so I could take a train back to Inglewood (where I lived in LA). (Crenshaw is the street I lived on AND the street Line 210 runs on.)

Now LA has a LRT on Crenshaw (under construction), and instead of dreaming about trains and buses, I just ride trains and a crosstown bus for the “journey” whenever I’m in a city with both. (My family tripped at Disney World when I was 20 and disappeared to the other side of Orlando to visit the Nike store and this office that had collateral about the proposed Florida HSR).

Considering that this is a transit forum I'm shocked at the replies..

I have dreams about buses and trains all the time, then again I take Zoloft which makes me dream every night.

One of train related dreams I had, I was at Broadway Junction walking down towards the N/B A/C platform and an R179 (A) pulls in! of course I rode it, the interior looked a lot different than the real life 179s

I had a reoccurring dream for a few months several years ago. I was flagging for a work gang right by the Carroll Street portal. When I bent down to remove the portable trip, I get hit by a train. It was like one of those falling dreams, when I got hit, I would almost jump out of bed.

I had a dream one night that I was operating a Far Rockaway-bound R160 (A) train through the Cranberry Street Tube where I hit 45 mph. This dream was like a very long time ago, I can't even remember lol.

I used to have been under the impression that the R160s should have been the signature fleet for the (A).

A few years back, I had my third and (so far), final dream about being stabbed in the abdomen. Same spot as the first two.

Going with the theme of each time being in a different location and done by a different person, this time, it was in 161st Street-Yankee Stadium on the (B)(D) platforms. Manhattan-bound towards the back stairway. What made me aware it was a dream was the fact that Metro-North trains were travelling through the tunnel.

So I'm waiting for my train when I see this black dude with dreads look at me from the stairway. We lock eyes and he goes back upstairs. So I go back to mindlessly waiting for my train. Next thing you know, he and some other dude come down stairs to rob me and that same dreadhead stabs me in the stomach. I feel the pain and I wake up. It takes a minute for the pain to subside, but once I realize where I am, I calm down.

My grandmother has said that if you have the same dream three times, it will happen. Others have said that I may have been given signs about betrayal in some form. Thing is, the first time it happened, a foster brother I was living with was the one to do it and the location was the home I was in. The second time was a few years later. I was walking down Neptune and West 5th. I was walking past a Russian dude pushing an older relative in a wheelchair. And as soon as I walked past them, the dude doing the pushing stabbed me in the same spot.

All I know is that I've been 10x as vigilant walking the streets.

4 hours ago, FlushingExpress said:

I had a dream that the overweight 75 footers were magicially compressed into 60 footers and as a result, there were no fat people living in the city. Wish that really happened:):D

Huh?

10 hours ago, FlushingExpress said:

I had a dream that the overweight 75 footers were magicially compressed into 60 footers and as a result, there were no fat people living in the city. Wish that really happened:):D

I wish I could come up with something disparaging about lesbians, but I love lesbians.

Archived