Rocky start for MTA's new 'Customer Service Ambassador' program

Via Garibaldi 8

EXCLUSIVE

Rocky start for MTA's new 'Customer Service Ambassador' program

The MTA-run subway system has a lot of unhappy customers — but the agency can’t find enough customer service ambassadors to staff its fledgling program.

It may take more than an extra dollar an hour for transit workers to have face time with an angry New York commuters.

The Metropolitan Transportation Authority’s one-year pilot for the new position of Customer Service Ambassador was unable to fill all 75 open spots, with 33 posts empty.

The ambassador position — created in a deal between the MTA and the Transport Workers Union Local 100 and to be filled by station agents and conductors — is modeled off a program in the London Underground.

The new role is part of the agency’s effort to get station agents armed with smart phones and tablets out of the booth and interacting with riders, in preparation for the day the MetroCard is retired and replaced with technology that lets riders pay by tapping a device on a turnstile.

To entice workers to take the jobs, the MTA offered an extra $1 an hour over conductors’ $31.86 hourly pay.

But union reps opposed to the new title say the slots left open show there’s little interest from transit workers to be on the front lines of New York’s subway crisis.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/rocky-start-mta-new-customer-service-ambassador-program-article-1.3681872

If I recall correctly, aren't these guys former station booth attendants, most of whom have very little interest in actually being useful at all? Yeah, I can see why nobody's jumping at the bits for this job if these are the qualifiers. They'd actually have to do something rather than sit in a booth all day. A better suggestion would be to do new hires for the program. In fact, the agency would probably be better off if they hired some of the members here. At least they'd be interested in the job.

So, akin to those that the MTA has helping riders with the TVM's along bus routes that recently got SBS along it (whatever they're called)... Those guys seem pretty genuine in wanting to help folks out; never seen any of them give anyone attitude or anything.... Of course, (within the) subway system is generally far more chaotic than any individual bus "station".....

This type of a job would be best suited for a college kid or otherwise a young adult that has an adequate knowledge of the system, lookin to make some extra bucks or something... I can't see S/A's being all that thrilled about losing the protection of the booth in wanting to interact with the public in such a manner.... Some of these S/A's are flat out nasty & you never know what nutcases have long memories....

My aunt is a retired S/A; I should run this by her & see what she thinks about this... Sure she'll have a good laugh.... Lol...

49 minutes ago, Lance said:

If I recall correctly, aren't these guys former station booth attendants, most of whom have very little interest in actually being useful at all? Yeah, I can see why nobody's jumping at the bits for this job if these are the qualifiers. They'd actually have to do something rather than sit in a booth all day. A better suggestion would be to do new hires for the program. In fact, the agency would probably be better off if they hired some of the members here. At least they'd be interested in the job.

The more intelligent adults on here are likely gainfully employed... I sure as hell aren't taking a pay cut to deal with attitudinal/bitchy subway riders; I'm not exactly what you'd call a people person anyway (which is another thing)..... That pretty much leaves you with the more intelligent adolescents & young college kids on here, of which the former aren't likely mature (and/or thick-skinned) enough to deal with the riding public..... Well, them & retirees.....

19 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

So, akin to those that the MTA has helping riders with the TVM's along bus routes that recently got SBS along it (whatever they're called)... Those guys seem pretty genuine in wanting to help folks out; never seen any of them give anyone attitude or anything.... Of course, (within the) subway system is generally far more chaotic than any individual bus "station".....

This type of a job would be best suited for a college kid or otherwise a young adult that has an adequate knowledge of the system, lookin to make some extra bucks or something... I can't see S/A's being all that thrilled about losing the protection of the booth in wanting to interact with the public in such a manner.... Some of these S/A's are flat out nasty & you never know what nutcases have long memories....

My aunt is a retired S/A; I should run this by her & see what she thinks about this... Sure she'll have a good laugh.... Lol...

The more intelligent adults on here are likely gainfully employed... I sure as hell aren't taking a pay cut to deal with attitudinal/bitchy subway riders; I'm not exactly what you'd call a people person anyway (which is another thing)..... That pretty much leaves you with the more intelligent adolescents & young college kids on here, of which the former aren't likely mature (and/or thick-skinned) enough to deal with the riding public..... Well, them & retirees.....

Like I said, I'd do it so long as it had an opportunity for advancement away from the department.

I've run enough sales and customer service teams in my life this'd be easy - and I've done it for orgs with worse bureaucracy and bureaucratic attitudes than (MTA).

But I'd only do it for an actual good wage and access to NYC/NYS pension (assuming eligibility/vesting for the pension benefit is 5 years, and can contribute or compliment the management pension - cuz I wouldn't stay in the union any longer than necessary).

1 hour ago, B35 via Church said:

This type of a job would be best suited for a college kid or otherwise a young adult that has an adequate knowledge of the system, lookin to make some extra bucks or something...

If they expanded this program into a high school paid internship program, I'd definitely take part in this.

1 hour ago, B35 via Church said:

That pretty much leaves you with the more intelligent adolescents & young college kids on here, of which the former aren't likely mature (and/or thick-skinned) enough to deal with the riding public..... Well, them & retirees.....

Well, I'd be up for it, I have a good knowledge of the subway system.  I may not be as mature as most people but I definitely will be able to deal with the riding public. 

3 hours ago, Deucey said:

Like I said, I'd do it so long as it had an opportunity for advancement away from the department.

I've run enough sales and customer service teams in my life this'd be easy - and I've done it for orgs with worse bureaucracy and bureaucratic attitudes than (MTA).

But I'd only do it for an actual good wage and access to NYC/NYS pension (assuming eligibility/vesting for the pension benefit is 5 years, and can contribute or compliment the management pension - cuz I wouldn't stay in the union any longer than necessary).

Supposedly it pays $32.86 or something like that. That works out to $68,348.80.  I can think of far more demanding jobs for that.  Hell I charge $30-40 an hour when I tutor on the side, and I certainly do more than these guys do just standing around. lol

2 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Supposedly it pays $32.86 or something like that. That works out to $68,348.80.  I can think of far more demanding jobs for that.  Hell I charge $30-40 an hour when I tutor on the side, and I certainly do more than these guys do just standing around. lol

Yup. I’d don the yellow shirt and walkie for that for a few years.

Gimme access to the pension and deny me union rights by doing immediate hire instead of civil service I’d do it tomorrow.

Archived