De Blasio sending NYPD neighborhood policing program into subways

Via Garibaldi 8

De Blasio sending NYPD neighborhood policing program into subways

BY JILLIAN JORGENSEN

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Thursday, April 12, 2018, 5:26 PM

Subways aren’t typically a place for small talk with strangers, but Mayor de Blasio is hoping New Yorkers will strike up a relationship with some of their fellow commuters: cops.

Hizzoner announced Thursday that he’s sending the city’s neighborhood policing program underground, assigning officers to patrol transit sectors the way they might a neighborhood — and posting names and e-mail addresses for the officers on station advertisements.

“For all of who you have spent a lot of your lives in the subway, the notion that you’re going to know the names of the officers on your line, that if you have concerns or something you see you’re worried about, or a question you want answered about safety, you could literally walk up to them because now you know their names, or you could e-mail them because their e-mail is there, they’re going to respond to you personally” de Blasio said at the Barclays Center stop in Brooklyn. “We’ve never had anything like that.”

The program will start with Transit District 212 in the Bronx, which covers stations along the 2 and 5 lines, and Transit District 30 in Brooklyn, encompassing stations along the 2, 3, 4, 5, A, C, B, D, Q, F, G, N and R lines.

mayor13n-2-web.jpg

Mayor de Blasio is sending the city's neighborhood policing program underground where officers to patrol transit sectors.

(TODD MAISEL/NEW YORK DAILY NEWS)

While de Blasio painted a quaint vision of the subway — “If you ride the subway you know you get to know a lot of your fellow riders,” he said — they are more transient than neighborhoods, where people may be more likely to get to know cops on the beat. But Chief of Patrol Terence Monahan said riders will be seeing the same officers, and their pictures on posters, in the same stations everyday, growing a relationship.

“When there’s an issue, there’s someone you can reach out to,” he said. “You have your cop to reach out to.”

De Blasio said people will be intrigued by posters with the names, pictures and e-mail addresses of officers, and then will see those same officers on their trains, sparking dialogue.

mayor13n-3-web.jpg

Mayor de Blasio hopes commuters will get to get to know cops assigned to patrol transit sectors and be able to talk to them about any issues.

(TODD MAISEL/NEW YORK DAILY NEWS)

“If you see the same officer 10 times and you have something you’re concerned about, I think you know New Yorkers, they’re not going to be shy about it,” he said.

The officers will receive training with how to deal with homeless people — who can remain in the subway but, like all riders, are prohibited from lying down. As for fare evasion, a thorny subject for de Blasio as he pushes back against funding half-priced MetroCards for low-income people, the officers will have discretion, Monahan said.

“People have to pay to get on the subways. We don’t want people getting on for free, it’s a quality of life issue,” Monahan said, standing in front of a line of uniformed officers. “But in everything we do, the main focus of neighborhood policing, is giving these men and women back here discretion to handle their area.”

Source: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/de-blasio-sending-nypd-neighborhood-policing-program-subways-article-1.3930756

2 minutes ago, LGA Link N train said:

A. If they can stop people from jumping turnstiles and harassment, then were on the right track.

B. As long as they don't bother railfans, were good

C. I don't know if this program will  work

They act as if there aren't cops already down below. Anytime I see them they look on the defense.  The public doesn't seem to trust them much and they don't trust the public.  That, and you rarely see where they are needed.  I've seen a few of them at Rockefeller Center trying to get rid of homeless people, but those people go right back to their same spots after they leave.  

This whole program is BS because people are complaining about the thugs and homeless taking over the subways.  That's what this is about. We had a guy on the (C) train the other night trying to do his little routine. I was so happy that the train was stalled so that I could get off and go to another car.  

8 hours ago, LGA Link N train said:

A. If they can stop people from jumping turnstiles and harassment, then were on the right track.

B. As long as they don't bother railfans, were good

C. I don't know if this program will  work

Add to your list:

1. Arrest and ticket turnstile jumpers and thugs harassing exiting passengers for a swipe.
  2. Arrest pole dancers for causing disturbances on trains. It should be frequent enough that “showtime” is unprofitable. (I shouldn’t have to move aside and plug my ears so they can make illegal money at the expense of my peace and quiet.)
  3. Get homeless people out of the trains—on a technicality (such as taking up more than one seat) if necessary. Trains aren’t mobile homes with free air conditioning and shelter from the elements.
  4. Arrest and ticket bus passengers for fare evasion.
  5. Provide help to passengers needing information and being friendly to law-abiding citizens.

Archived