Interpol helps the NYPD catch Spanish graffiti artists

P3F

Big Apple cops, with an assist from Interpol, busted a trio of Spanish nationals who tagged Manhattan and Brooklyn subway cars with “European-style” graffiti — vandalism reminiscent of the city’s bad old days, police said Friday.

The trio first struck the storage area of the 168th Street subway station in Washington Heights on April 11, cops said. The NYPD’s Special Projects unit contacted authorities with the international police organization in Spain — who confirmed that the graffiti was of Spanish origin, police said.

That same day, a guard from the MTA’s Eagle Security team spotted three mask-wearing men inside a vehicle near the 148th Street station train yards — prompting the team to notify police, cops said.

A license plate check revealed that the vehicle had been rented from Newark Airport, according to police.

Four days later, cops spotted the vehicle near the Utica Avenue subway station in Brooklyn — and followed the trio into the station’s storage area, where they tagged several train cars with the words “ORUS,” “SEN/JABATO and “TATE/ASIA.”

Police arrested all three men when they returned to their vehicle.

Ricardo Espinola-Martinez, 36, Ignacio Dominguez-Robles, 39, and Manuel Cobano-Pareja, 40 — who arrived in the US on April 8 — were each charged with two counts of criminal mischief and making graffiti, as well as possession of a graffiti instrument and criminal trespass, police said.

Source: https://nypost.com/2018/04/20/interpol-helps-nypd-catch-subway-graffiti-artists

Not that young folks should be out here defacing subway trains (or anything else for the matter), but these pendejos are too old be doing this crap; creeping up with masks on to start tagging shit up....

What the hell kind of names is these anyway..... ANUS, EN EL BAÑO, and CALLATE... GRACIAS d4r8m.gif

30 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

Not that young folks should be out here defacing subway trains (or anything else for the matter), but these pendejos are too old be doing this crap; creeping up with masks on to start tagging shit up....

What the hell kind of names is these anyway..... ANUS, EN EL BAÑO, and CALLATE... GRACIAS d4r8m.gif

They're from Spain, so they may be from Catalonia or the Basque Region.  They have their own dialect/language in those areas and support independence from Spain, so it may not be Spanish per se.  Likely a dialect and abbreviations of something they support/stand for.  One thing I hated about living in Europe is amount of tagging you find. Doesn't matter what neighborhood either.  Even when I was up in Milan they had taggings all over the place in ritzy areas too.  The difference is the taggings there can be more politically motivated.

I know I tend to defend criminals but I think that graffiti is really stupid, these people need to get a life. I knew a serious graffiti artist back in HS and he would always try to justify by saying "it's about sending a message to the authorities man" or "it's about creating public art for everyone to enjoy, man." When in actuality these people just paint their hideous tags on public buses, bathrooms, vans, etc. At least people like Banksy and Julian Beever are trying to create an interesting and thought provoking image with their art, which is a respectable thing to do, but three grown men spraying "JABATO" onto the side of a subway train is just really lame.  

On 4/20/2018 at 2:01 PM, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

One thing I hated about living in Europe is amount of tagging you find. Doesn't matter what neighborhood either.  Even when I was up in Milan they had taggings all over the place in ritzy areas too.  The difference is the taggings there can be more politically motivated.

I was surprised at the amount of tagging I saw in Paris, especially along train lines. Once the Eurostar gets into Paris you see tagging all along the ROW.

15 minutes ago, N6 Limited said:

I was surprised at the amount of tagging I saw in Paris, especially along train lines. Once the Eurostar gets into Paris you see tagging all along the ROW.

Are you kidding? Europeans are the biggest rebels, especially the French. The French do their best NOT to pay the fare and rebel against the system. I'm not sure if it's because of the high taxes paid that subsidize the system or what. I think it's just a bunch of teens and young adults with too much time on their hands that want to go against the political establishment.

21 hours ago, N6 Limited said:

The French have to rebel against authority, it's part of their culture.

"All you see is, crime in the city" this is not... 

On April 20, 2018 at 1:31 PM, B35 via Church said:

I'd have to agree with everything here

Archived