SI Express Route Public Hearing Request, M4 Truncation, July 2018 Schedule Changes

checkmatechamp13

4 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I'm annoyed at how they keep truncating routes in Midtown.  Anyone who needs service below 34th street... I guess they think they're supposed to cab it or schlepp to the subway.

.... and this my friend is how you lose customers to the cabs and Uber’s. The (MTA) must do better. 

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I'm annoyed at how they keep truncating routes in Midtown.  Anyone who needs service below 34th street... I guess they think they're supposed to cab it or schlepp to the subway.

Same (with the truncations)... Don't see it getting any better either; Midtown isn't a midpoint for Manhattan's bus routes , like Midtown is for the subway.....

Oh well, more business for the cabs....

2 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

.... and this my friend is how you lose customers to the cabs and Uber’s. The (MTA) must do better. 

1 minute ago, B35 via Church said:

Same...

Midtown is more of a midpoint for the subway than it is for Manhattan's bus routes...

Oh well, more business for the cabs....

The trend has been noticeable for YEARS now.  Even when I worked in Chelsea off of 5th, I'd walk over to 5th for a bus and see how few buses would come.  In Midtown they basically just short turn a ton of buses, so they kick everyone off at 42nd.  If you need to go below 34th, you'll be waiting for a while.  No more M5.  The M1 was extended to SoHo, so it's just the M1, M2 and M3, and the M2 is the only limited and it runs piss poor.

1 minute ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

The trend has been noticeable for YEARS now.  Even when I worked in Chelsea off of 5th, I'd walk over to 5th for a bus and see how few buses would come.  In Midtown they basically just short turn a ton of buses, so they kick everyone off at 42nd.  If you need to go below 34th, you'll be waiting for a while.  No more M5.  The M1 was extended to SoHo, so it's just the M1, M2 and M3, and the M2 is the only limited and it runs piss poor.

Well it goes to show you how absent-minded this agency is, when it comes down to the riding public & its needs..... None of this should be a surprise to anyone - not even the transients that's been here for a couple of years YEARS now....

I'd laugh, if I weren't flat-out annoyed with this crap....

1 minute ago, B35 via Church said:

Well it goes to show you how absent-minded this agency is, when it comes down to the riding public & its needs..... None of this should be a surprise to anyone - not even the transients that's been here for a couple of years YEARS now....

I'd laugh, if I weren't flat-out annoyed with this crap....

I've been getting on some 5th Avenue buses in the morning to go to various places before going to my office.  Yesterday morning I was super early so I stopped off for some breakfast.  Got on at 53rd on an M3 bus.  Was incredibly empty.  I'd say it was a fluke save the fact that several buses have been just like that in the morning during rush hour.

41 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

The M4 never really went past 32nd, so it's not that much of a loss. Plus, that reroute onto 7th Avenue practically killed the ridership it used to have going to 34th.

Express Bus Updates/Observations:

SIM23 and SIM24 (Academy Bus) will not stop at Victory/Glen Street according to recent updates (and visually confirmed with new signs).

Also bus operators have only seen preliminary/proposed individual bus operator schedules, it would be very time-consuming to put them together to see what type of service span will be in effect - we must await online schedules. The final schedules have not yet been released (as of last night). For those in-house, they are not available on the Bus Information Center.

To highly summarize: For the most part buses that come out of Merideth will continue to serve the areas they serve now (x15, x30 etc.). Charleston will operate in the areas South of Richmond Ave, Yukon will serve many routes that originates out of Eltingville Transit Center. 

Currently - There is no change to depot local route assignments.

Information subject to change.

9 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

The M5 should have gone to Houston St, the way it was pre-2010. Herald Square (sorry I mean "31 St & 6 Av"🙄) is a weird place to terminate.

That way you'd have the M1 and M3 providing local service and the M2 and M5 providing limited service with the M55 going to South Ferry

On 7/12/2018 at 1:23 PM, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Maybe the way to put people back on buses is to shut down the subway lines in Manhattan.

38 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Perhaps, but ridership has been dropping on the subways too.

Probably because the system is always a mess, especially on weekends. I can't even remember the last weekend when every line was running how it was supposed to. If ridership keeps drooping, Manhattan is going to be the next LA.

2 hours ago, Lil 57 said:

Probably because the system is always a mess, especially on weekends. I can't even remember the last weekend when every line was running how it was supposed to. If ridership keeps drooping, Manhattan is going to be the next LA.

.... I got some sorry news for you. It already is the next LA. With all the GO's that are going on until the end of the year things won't get better.

18 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

The M5 should have gone to Houston St, the way it was pre-2010. Herald Square (sorry I mean "31 St & 6 Av"🙄) is a weird place to terminate.

That way you'd have the M1 and M3 providing local service and the M2 and M5 providing limited service with the M55 going to South Ferry

... The real M6 and not the fabricated route only to 44th street.

Better late than never.

http://web.mta.info/nyct/service/servNotices_M4_Reroute.htm

Service Information

All Times
Effective Sunday, July 15, 2018

Permanent M4 Route Change in Midtown 

To accommodate the sidewalk widening on 32 St, the M4 will now terminate on 
E 32 St at 5 Av. 

The Q32 will continue to terminate on W 32 St between 6 Av and 7 Av.

For service to Penn Station, transfer to the Q32 on 5 Av between 58 St and 38 St. 

For service from Penn Station, take the Q32 and transfer to the M4 on Madison Av between 32 St and 57 St.

8 hours ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

If the data from RideSchedules.com is accurate, the off-peak service will be absolutely ridiculous. Check out my blog post for more information: http://checkmatechamp1.blogspot.com/2018/07/spans-and-frequencies-of-sim-routes.html

It doesn’t seem to be working for me.

9 hours ago, S78 via Hylan said:

It doesn’t seem to be working for me.

Strange... For whatever reason, copying & pasting that link Checkmate provided into the browser yields this:

http://http://checkmatechamp1.blogspot.com/2018/07/spans-and-frequencies-of-sim-routes.html

His blogpost is still there though.... Try this link, fam....

http://checkmatechamp1.blogspot.com/2018/07/spans-and-frequencies-of-sim-routes.html

10 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

Strange... For whatever reason, copying & pasting that link Checkmate provided into the browser yields this:

http://http://checkmatechamp1.blogspot.com/2018/07/spans-and-frequencies-of-sim-routes.html

His blogpost is still there though.... Try this link, fam....

http://checkmatechamp1.blogspot.com/2018/07/spans-and-frequencies-of-sim-routes.html

Got through, thanks.

So am I understanding this correctly... The North Shore has the SIM3c and SIM4c off-peak and weekends... 

Mid Island/South Shore... SIM1c, SIM2 and SIM4 run off-peak and weekends... I don't understand why the SIM2 doesn't serve Midtown like the other weekend routes.  Someone from the South Shore should have access to both Downtown and Midtown via the express bus.

Archived