Cortlandt Street will re-open in October on the 1 Train

azspeedbullet

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Deucey said:

Great, another stop amongst all the other non-station stops (1) makes that result in people missing the ferry by 2 minutes instead of just 1 minute...

Missing the ferry is a binary thing… you missed it or you didn’t.

9 hours ago, azspeedbullet said:

After 17 years, the Cortlandt St station on the 1 train line will reopen in October . source https://7ny.tv/2HjvMGL

The original IRT was built in like 7 years??

1 hour ago, CenSin said:

And missing it at the wrong time means an extra 30 minutes in Manhattan instead of being on your way to a late AF bus back to your house.

Tends to happen when you've got 25 minutes til Ferry departure while waiting at 14th St and then the train creeps in the tunnel at Chambers St then gets stuck at reds at Rector Street, making it take 26 minutes for a 15-20 minute run.

1 hour ago, Deucey said:

And missing it at the wrong time means an extra 30 minutes in Manhattan instead of being on your way to a late AF bus back to your house.

Tends to happen when you've got 25 minutes til Ferry departure while waiting at 14th St and then the train creeps in the tunnel at Chambers St then gets stuck at reds at Rector Street, making it take 26 minutes for a 15-20 minute run.

If possible, try to catch an earlier train. With the subways constantly experiencing delays, it’s good to give yourself cushion time, especially when dealing with the ferry.

Edited by S78 via Hylan
Improve sentence and explanation.

5 minutes ago, S78 via Hylan said:

If possible, try to catch an earlier train. With the subways constantly experiencing delays, it’s good to give yourself cushion time, especially when dealing with the ferry.

I could tell you stories about that "try" during 15/20 minute svc on the Ferry.

I'll just say that it led to me getting a lazy ass S42 driver in trouble via twitter.

1 hour ago, Deucey said:

I could tell you stories about that "try" during 15/20 minute svc on the Ferry.

I'll just say that it led to me getting a lazy ass S42 driver in trouble via twitter.

I'd say take the express bus, but you're too close to St. George for that, though I do wonder if it would be faster just backtracking for you... 

4 hours ago, CenSin said:

The original IRT was built in like 7 years??

The original subway consists of Contracts One and Two. The October 27th, 1904 opening was just of contract One.

2 hours ago, Deucey said:

Then you time yourself to catch it. Nothing more. I've had to do it. Most on the island, I'm sure, do as well. 

19 minutes ago, LTA1992 said:

Then you time yourself to catch it. Nothing more. I've had to do it. Most on the island, I'm sure, do as well. 

Oh please.  The buses are scheduled to meet the ferry, and often times they don't.  I got sick of dealing with that nonsense and switched to the express bus. If I were him I'd just walk to the ferry if he's close enough.  The whole dash to the ferry got old and quick.  Sometimes it took me over two hours one way to get to where I was going because either I just missed the ferry or the ferry was delayed or some nonsense.  Pretty pathetic that in 2018 it's the same nonsense on the island.  

The (1) train has let me down numerous times as well.  Worthless more times than not when trying to reach the ferry.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

7 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Oh please.  The buses are scheduled to meet the ferry, and often times they don't.  I got sick of dealing with that nonsense and switched to the express bus. If I were him I'd just walk to the ferry if he's close enough.  The whole dash to the ferry got old and quick.  Sometimes it took me over two hours one way to get to where I was going because either I just missed the ferry or the ferry was delayed or some nonsense.  Pretty pathetic that in 2018 it's the same nonsense on the island.  

The (1) train has let me down numerous times as well.  Worthless more times than not when trying to reach the ferry.

THEN YOU TIME YOUR TRIP ON THE SUBWAY TO MAKE SURE YOU HAVE ENOUGH TIME TO MAKE IT. It's not hard. Many on the island, I'm sure, do it. 

Why shouldn't you do this sensible thing that responsible adults would need to do on ANY form of transportation to get where they need to go? Also, why did you assume I was talking about the SI side of the commute when we were CLEARLY talking about the (1) ?

Simmer down please.

Edited by LTA1992

10 minutes ago, LTA1992 said:

THEN YOU TIME YOUR TRIP ON THE SUBWAY TO MAKE SURE YOU HAVE ENOUGH TIME TO MAKE IT. It's not hard. Many on the island, I'm sure, do it. 

Why shouldn't you do this sensible thing that responsible adults would need to do on ANY form of transportation to get where they need to go? Also, why did you assume I was talking about the SI side of the commute when we were CLEARLY talking about the (1)?

Simmer down please.

Doesn't matter... Both sides are problematic.  I've had plenty of times when I've missed the ferry by seconds because of that (1) train crawling to South Ferry.  On a good day each way my commute was an hour and 30 minutes.  Sure, I could give myself an extra 20 minutes each way, but that's an extra 40 minutes added, almost four hours traveling each day.  As I said, if I were him, I would consider other options.  Plenty of Staten Islanders do it, and that's why so many have left.  The commute becomes tiring and I can think of others things I can be doing with my time aside from traveling that long every day.  I left over six years ago and have no regrets.

47 minutes ago, LTA1992 said:

Spoken like somebody who thinks he has the only original thought in history and that everyone else is an idiot.

So, life on SI is planning your time to make the ferry - whether you're walking to it from my house or taking a bus from Forest Ave. AND, it's also an exercise in controlling emotions knowing that if you HAVE TO RELY ON THE BUS DRIVER GETTING YOU TO ST GEORGE ON TIME, THAT DRIVER'S SCREW UP OR ONE PERSON DOUBLE PARKING AND HOLDING UP TRAFFIC, you're probably going to be on the next ferry - whether it's 15 minutes later during rush hour or 30 minutes later all other times.

But we're not talking about life in Richmond County, we're talking about the (1) train operations leading people to miss the ferry by 1 minute because of red signals or crawling speeds in tunnels.

Had you actually read what I said, perhaps you would've gotten that...

1 hour ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I'd say take the express bus, but you're too close to St. George for that, though I do wonder if it would be faster just backtracking for you... 

I think it's 20 minutes on S40/44/52 to to the nearest express bus, then riding on the Turnpike to get stuck in the tunnel. I wouldn't save that much time to justify the $6 fare vs Ferry to Bowling Green.

What would be "better" time wise - getting a damn car and parking it next to Barclay's, since it doesn't take that long going down 4th Av to get to the VZ - but that's $30/week in tolls plus parking fees...

19 minutes ago, Deucey said:

I think it's 20 minutes on S40/44/52 to to the nearest express bus, then riding on the Turnpike to get stuck in the tunnel. I wouldn't save that much time to justify the $6 fare vs Ferry to Bowling Green.

What would be "better" time wise - getting a damn car and parking it next to Barclay's, since it doesn't take that long going down 4th Av to get to the VZ - but that's $30/week in tolls plus parking fees...

One of my relatives originally would take the express bus when she worked in Lower Manhattan.  After 9/11 the office left Downtown (literally steps from WTC - yes she saw it all...) and moved to Downtown Brooklyn.  That's when she started driving.  She found it much better than dealing with all the nonsense you put up with.  I think she may have done the bus ferry subway set up for a short while but not very long.  Just too much aggravation and time wasted waiting around.  It's cute when you first move to the island, but when you have a full time job (or more for some people), have to run a household and have other things to do, that commute adds up. The only way I would've stayed is if I bought a car, and I didn't want to drive to Manhattan and parking and taking the express bus was another adventure I didn't want to deal with since I didn't want to be tied to a particular route. At my old office, we had several people that lived on Staten Island... One lived on the North Shore (Grymes Hill area - he drove in), another in Great Kills (took the express bus in), another on the South Shore (drove in) and another in Princes Bay (drove to the SIR, then took the ferry to the subway) and I took the express bus as well. The only reason the lady in Princes Bay didn't take the express bus was because she said it was too expensive with her having a car and other expenses.  Sometimes she managed to hitch a ride in from one of our colleagues who lived near her.

7 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

One of my relatives originally would take the express bus when she worked in Lower Manhattan.  After 9/11 the office left Downtown (literally steps from WTC - yes she saw it all...) and moved to Downtown Brooklyn.  That's when she started driving.  She found it much better than dealing with all the nonsense you put up with.  I think she may have done the bus ferry subway set up for a short while but not very long.  Just too much aggravation and time wasted waiting around.  It's cute when you first move to the island, but when you have a full time job (or more for some people), have to run a household and have other things to do, that commute adds up. The only way I would've stayed is if I bought a car, and I didn't want to drive to Manhattan and parking and taking the express bus was another adventure I didn't want to deal with since I didn't want to be tied to a particular route. At my old office, we had several people that lived on Staten Island... One lived on the North Shore (Grymes Hill area - he drove in), another in Great Kills (took the express bus in), another on the South Shore (drove in) and another in Princes Bay (drove to the SIR, then took the ferry to the subway) and I took the express bus as well. The only reason the lady in Princes Bay didn't take the express bus was because she said it was too expensive with her having a car and other expenses.

Even with a car from here, it's still 20 minutes to the Bayonne or Goethals Bridge without traffic, and 25 minutes to the VZ, so by the time I got to either, I'd already be landing in Manhattan on the ferry.

There lies the rub - the ferry is reliable - it's getting to/from it that's the problem. On the SI side - for me at least, it's just an annoyance. on the Manhattan side, it literally is like "small things that annoy folks in the other 4 boroughs make SIers wait 30 minutes longer."

44 minutes ago, Deucey said:

Even with a car from here, it's still 20 minutes to the Bayonne or Goethals Bridge without traffic, and 25 minutes to the VZ, so by the time I got to either, I'd already be landing in Manhattan on the ferry.

There lies the rub - the ferry is reliable - it's getting to/from it that's the problem. On the SI side - for me at least, it's just an annoyance. on the Manhattan side, it literally is like "small things that annoy folks in the other 4 boroughs make SIers wait 30 minutes longer."

That's the problem... You're not close enough to the ferry. lol There was a guy that used to help me when I shopped at Saks.  One day I was coming home on the ferry and I see him (I saw him a few times thereafter going back to SI). I'm like aren't you the guy that sold me stuff at Saks? He's like yeah. I live here on Staten Island. He apparently had an apartment that was literally steps from the ferry so it was very easy for him to get into the city. 

4 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

That's the problem... You're not close enough to the ferry. lol There was a guy that used to help me when I shopped at Saks.  One day I was coming home on the ferry and I see him (I saw him a few times thereafter going back to SI). I'm like aren't you the guy that sold me stuff at Saks? He's like yeah. I live here on Staten Island. He apparently had an apartment that was literally steps from the ferry so it was very easy for him to get into the city. 

Curtis High isn't that far from it - it's just the equivalent of walking from 23rd & Madison to 25th/7th from my apartment behind Curtis High to the ferry door in the waiting area.

Spoken like somebody who thinks he has the only original thought in history and that everyone else is an idiot.

So, life on SI is planning your time to make the ferry - whether you're walking to it from my house or taking a bus from Forest Ave. AND, it's also an exercise in controlling emotions knowing that if you HAVE TO RELY ON THE BUS DRIVER GETTING YOU TO ST GEORGE ON TIME, THAT DRIVER'S SCREW UP OR ONE PERSON DOUBLE PARKING AND HOLDING UP TRAFFIC, you're probably going to be on the next ferry - whether it's 15 minutes later during rush hour or 30 minutes later all other times.

But we're not talking about life in Richmond County, we're talking about the (1) train operations leading people to miss the ferry by 1 minute because of red signals or crawling speeds in tunnels.

Had you actually read what I said, perhaps you would've gotten that...

I'm surprised he didn't tell you to bike to the ferry.

I personally wouldn't move to a place that you can't leave via car without paying a toll. Like sure, the island has malls and whatnot, but I'm not a fan of paying 6 or more dollars to go to Brooklyn.