Cortlandt Street will re-open in October on the 1 Train

azspeedbullet

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, themanchoman said:

the two of you are idiots for getting my best and worst subway thread locked, i dare ya to start shit again when i sooner or later make another thread

Enough. It's your own fault that your "best/worst" thread got locked...

Instead of writing coherently, listening to our advice, and/or being more chill, you deliberately made the decision to lash out/whine at us for no apparent reason. We're trying to be helpful, but you refuse to accept that...

And also, this thread is really not the place to complain about what happened. Just stop with the obscenity, and move on. 

Edited by Coney Island Av

57 minutes ago, themanchoman said:

the two of you are idiots for getting my best and worst subway thread locked, i dare ya to start shit again when i sooner or later make another thread

By the way I reported this post for making threats. Don't be that guy.

Now back to the topic.

19 minutes ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

By the way I reported this post for making threats. Don't be that guy.

Now back to the topic.

The sad thing is, it ain't the first time we've had people like that on this forum.....and on Facebook, for that matter...

1 hour ago, themanchoman said:

You won't be making another thread any time soon, especially after the way you've been acting over a locked thread and in the thread mentioned. Your privileges have been restricted.

Edited by Cait Sith

3 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

Fulton St is a confusing place to transfer. I shouldn't have to walk up and down up and down to get to the (J) .

3 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Well they were supposed to untangle all of that and make it easier to transfer. In my mind, the only thing that is a tad easier is getting to the (4) train in that station.  Other than that, I don't think it's worth $1 billion dollars.  On top of that they added all of this retail and spent money building out spaces for vendors and they can't even fill them.

In regards to Fulton St, the only way there would ever be a direct transfer passageway that doesn't use the (A)(C) platform would require the rebuilding of the Jamaica line tracks in the area. The Broad St-bound platform and track are at the same depth as the Lexington Ave platforms. And the passageway can't be continuous on a lower level because it would run into the Jamaica-bound platform and track. Tis the problems with three disjointed subway systems connected ad-hoc into one system on the fly. While the argument can be made that the money allocated into the Fulton St project should've been used for better connectivity rather than another shopping center, there were already better transfer points for the intersecting lines at other nearby stops. Brooklyn Bridge - Chambers St is a much better transfer between Lexington Ave and Jamaica than Fulton St and will be better once the latter half of the station receives ADA accessibility in the next few years. Same with 7th Avenue / Lexington Ave at Borough Hall and 7th Avenue / 8th Avenue at Park Place - Chambers St. As for the retail aspect, the idea was to collect some revenue to offset the expense of the structure in the first place. If I recall correctly, one plan floated about was to sell the air rights to a private developer and get a tower built on top of the station. Naturally, since the area is oversaturated with office towers, that idea quickly died out, thus leading to what we got, which actually may have worked if it was in another area, similar to Columbus Circle's Turnstyle. Of course, when it has to compete with the nearby shops at Brookfield Place and Westfield World Trade, those potential revenue streams tend to dry up real quick.

2 minutes ago, Lance said:

In regards to Fulton St, the only way there would ever be a direct transfer passageway that doesn't use the (A)(C) platform would require the rebuilding of the Jamaica line tracks in the area. The Broad St-bound platform and track are at the same depth as the Lexington Ave platforms. And the passageway can't be continuous on a lower level because it would run into the Jamaica-bound platform and track. Tis the problems with three disjointed subway systems connected ad-hoc into one system on the fly. While the argument can be made that the money allocated into the Fulton St project should've been used for better connectivity rather than another shopping center, there were already better transfer points for the intersecting lines at other nearby stops. Brooklyn Bridge - Chambers St is a much better transfer between Lexington Ave and Jamaica than Fulton St and will be better once the latter half of the station receives ADA accessibility in the next few years. Same with 7th Avenue / Lexington Ave at Borough Hall and 7th Avenue / 8th Avenue at Park Place - Chambers St. As for the retail aspect, the idea was to collect some revenue to offset the expense of the structure in the first place. If I recall correctly, one plan floated about was to sell the air rights to a private developer and get a tower built on top of the station. Naturally, since the area is oversaturated with office towers, that idea quickly died out, thus leading to what we got, which actually may have worked if it was in another area, similar to Columbus Circle's Turnstyle. Of course, when it has to compete with the nearby shops at Brookfield Place and Westfield World Trade, those potential revenue streams tend to dry up real quick.

I did actually walk around upstairs just to have a look. There's a coffee shop and a few other things. I wasn't enticed enough to stop and get anything though. I mean you usually get food BEFORE going to the subway.  That's part of the problem.  Just imagine if they hadn't scaled back on the oculus...

The only thing that could meaningfully improve the Fulton Center's layout would be a complete rebuilding and rearrangement of the Nassau tracks, and guess what those tracks run under...

By the way, I find this 'worm-in-apple' solution hilarious:

SrDUqtt.png

Seriously, that must drive the workers bananas. Has anyone used this staircase or elevator yet? Any photos of what it looks like inside? As much as I like things reopening, I think the portals on site 6 could have waited for the completion of the WBVA and the restoration of Greenwich Street. ADA access was already provided by the mall portals, anyway.

5 hours ago, Lance said:

In regards to Fulton St, the only way there would ever be a direct transfer passageway that doesn't use the (A)(C) platform would require the rebuilding of the Jamaica line tracks in the area. 

Or, they could build UP. The main problem is getting past Nassau St., where the double-decked (J)(Z) line bisects the complex.  If they built the passage as an overpass, it could go straight across, over Nassau, and connect to each section, and then run into the FTC Oculus. They've already torn down a couple buildings on both Nassau and Fulton, so they should have thought to purchase the property for this.

16 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

The station will closed from 1AM to 3PM due to the 9/11 anniversary ceremonies happening at street level.

That's so unnecessary. All they'd have to do is close the exit to the plaza and no one above would even notice that the station is in operation. I really don't get it. Literally take some yellow tape and block off the turnstiles at the south end of the downtown platform.

Edited by Porter

But the governor fully supported the Metropolitan Transportation Authority's desire to keep the newly rebuilt No. 1 subway line running through the trade center site, instead of allowing the Port Authority to temporarily close part of the line and shave months and hundreds of millions of dollars off the hub's construction. That, however, would have cut an important transit link and angered commuters from Staten Island, a Republican stronghold, who use the No. 1 line after getting off the ferry.

The NYT's explanation doesn't really make sense because it would have been just as easy for Staten Island commuters to take the (R)(W) instead of the (1).

Edited by Porter

On ‎9‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 12:59 PM, RR503 said:

Fulton Center only exists because Sheldon Silver was going to sink the MTA budget if they didn't build it. 1.4 billion dollars later, I still have to walk on the (A) platform to get from Broadway to the (2)(3)

Still better than those horrible ramps that went in circles.  It is an improvement but you are right they could have done a bit better.

On 9/10/2018 at 10:31 PM, trainfan22 said:

The station will closed from 1AM to 3PM due to the 9/11 anniversary ceremonies happening at street level.

On 9/11/2018 at 2:37 PM, Porter said:

That's so unnecessary. All they'd have to do is close the exit to the plaza and no one above would even notice that the station is in operation. I really don't get it. Literally take some yellow tape and block off the turnstiles at the south end of the downtown platform.

Except some families of 9/11 victims might have been upset with that, especially if they didn't know the station had already re-opened (originally it was supposed to re-open next month or later).  

On 9/11/2018 at 7:30 PM, Porter said:

The NYT's explanation doesn't really make sense because it would have been just as easy for Staten Island commuters to take the (R)(W) instead of the (1).

Now, yes, but that transfer was not available until the new (1) station opened.  Yes, they could have built that transfer earlier but you still would have had a ton of complaints, especially from people who work on the west side below Times Square (the (R) and (W) are actually on the east side through Union Square).  

6 hours ago, Union Tpke said:

That explains why I couldn't find it.

Check out this video at 30:45 https://youtu.be/GzcXBjpknUA?t=1845

4 hours ago, Wallyhorse said:

Except some families of 9/11 victims might have been upset with that, especially if they didn't know the station had already re-opened (originally it was supposed to re-open next month or later).  

Now, yes, but that transfer was not available until the new (1) station opened.  Yes, they could have built that transfer earlier but you still would have had a ton of complaints, especially from people who work on the west side below Times Square (the (R) and (W) are actually on the east side through Union Square).  

Uh...why? Like I said, if you were to close the plaza exit, then they wouldn't even know unless they sought it out specifically. The station's operation wouldn't have affected the plaza in any way, shape, or form with that exit closed (the trains were always running right below).

I thought the issue was that shutting down the South Ferry (1) would have been bad for the ferry commuters. They could have just gone to the Whitehall (R)(W) instead, which is literally right next to it.

On 9/13/2018 at 9:14 PM, P3F said:

I was there today. From street level, that entrance looks like an active construction site.

Well, it kind of is. This portal cuts right through site 6 without regard to its very active construction surroundings. I never thought I'd find myself saying this, but the (MTA) should have kept it closed until the West Bathtub Vehicular Access was finished. There really isn't a need for it yet—ADA access was already available via the mall to begin with.

On 9/13/2018 at 7:43 PM, Porter said:

Check out this video at 30:45 https://youtu.be/GzcXBjpknUA?t=1845

Uh...why? Like I said, if you were to close the plaza exit, then they wouldn't even know unless they sought it out specifically. The station's operation wouldn't have affected the plaza in any way, shape, or form with that exit closed (the trains were always running right below).

I thought the issue was that shutting down the South Ferry (1) would have been bad for the ferry commuters. They could have just gone to the Whitehall (R)(W) instead, which is literally right next to it.

The question is, where do you terminate the trains? Do you bring back the (1) to New Lots and terminate the (3) at 14th (which affects Brooklyn-bound riders too)? The issue is that they would've had to shut down the whole line south of Chambers.

And personally, I find the (1) more frequent than the (R)(W), and also the (1) travels to the UWS & points north directly (and offers a quick, cross-platform transfer to the (2)(3)). As a Staten Island commuter, I would've understood why they had to close it, but it still would negatively impact those who take the ferry. Obviously, I would understand it, since it saves time and money, but a cost-benefit analysis would have to be done to see if the savings are worth the inconvenience.

12 hours ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

The question is, where do you terminate the trains? Do you bring back the (1) to New Lots and terminate the (3) at 14th (which affects Brooklyn-bound riders too)? The issue is that they would've had to shut down the whole line south of Chambers.

And personally, I find the (1) more frequent than the (R)(W), and also the (1) travels to the UWS & points north directly (and offers a quick, cross-platform transfer to the (2)(3)). As a Staten Island commuter, I would've understood why they had to close it, but it still would negatively impact those who take the ferry. Obviously, I would understand it, since it saves time and money, but a cost-benefit analysis would have to be done to see if the savings are worth the inconvenience.

You could take the (R)(W) at Whitehall and transfer to the (1) at Times Square. Yes, it would take a little longer, but I think it's worth getting the line south of Chambers back in top form many years earlier, and for a lower price. Indeed the (3) would terminate at 14th and the (1) would be run to New Lots. Not the end of the world or even close, I'd say. Everything at the WTC could have been done faster and cheaper that way.

58 minutes ago, Porter said:

You could take the (R)(W) at Whitehall and transfer to the (1) at Times Square. Yes, it would take a little longer, but I think it's worth getting the line south of Chambers back in top form many years earlier, and for a lower price. Indeed the (3) would terminate at 14th and the (1) would be run to New Lots. Not the end of the world or even close, I'd say. Everything at the WTC could have been done faster and cheaper that way.

Re-read my post. I never said there weren't options available (Since you bring that up, I could also take the (N)  or (D) to the  (R) and catch the S93 from Brooklyn. I could also take an express bus. Heck, I could even move to another borough and not have to deal with it at all. I could do a lot of things). Nor did I say that it was a bad idea.

Time is money for everybody. Speeding up the construction process saves the MTA money, but if it costs the commuters time, that needs to be taken into consideration. I didn't say whether it was a good idea or a bad idea to do things the way they did, but both ideas had their logic. It's not the craziest idea in the world to shut the line down so that workers have full access, and it's not the craziest idea to keep the line running and try to work around it.