Cortlandt Street will re-open in October on the 1 Train

azspeedbullet

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 9/10/2018 at 4:27 PM, Lance said:

In regards to Fulton St, the only way there would ever be a direct transfer passageway that doesn't use the (A)(C) platform would require the rebuilding of the Jamaica line tracks in the area. The Broad St-bound platform and track are at the same depth as the Lexington Ave platforms. And the passageway can't be continuous on a lower level because it would run into the Jamaica-bound platform and track. Tis the problems with three disjointed subway systems connected ad-hoc into one system on the fly. While the argument can be made that the money allocated into the Fulton St project should've been used for better connectivity rather than another shopping center, there were already better transfer points for the intersecting lines at other nearby stops. Brooklyn Bridge - Chambers St is a much better transfer between Lexington Ave and Jamaica than Fulton St and will be better once the latter half of the station receives ADA accessibility in the next few years. Same with 7th Avenue / Lexington Ave at Borough Hall and 7th Avenue / 8th Avenue at Park Place - Chambers St. As for the retail aspect, the idea was to collect some revenue to offset the expense of the structure in the first place. If I recall correctly, one plan floated about was to sell the air rights to a private developer and get a tower built on top of the station. Naturally, since the area is oversaturated with office towers, that idea quickly died out, thus leading to what we got, which actually may have worked if it was in another area, similar to Columbus Circle's Turnstyle. Of course, when it has to compete with the nearby shops at Brookfield Place and Westfield World Trade, those potential revenue streams tend to dry up real quick.

Is it possible to make a non-MetroCard transfer between Broad St on the (J) and (Z) and Wall Street on the (4) and (5) ? It's just a curious thought because I understand we have Brooklyn Bridge-Chambers St, and Fulton St is confusing for passengers almost most of the time.

3 minutes ago, AJ of JGD said:

Is it possible to make a non-MetroCard transfer between Broad St on the (J) and (Z) and Wall Street on the (4) and (5) ? It's just a curious thought because I understand we have Brooklyn Bridge-Chambers St, and Fulton St is confusing for passengers almost most of the time.

You cannot- while I agree Fulton is confusing, there isn't really a need for transfer between Broad and Wall as you have Chambers on top of it- but I wonder if fewer people know about the (J) to Lex transfer at Chambers because of the two separate station names.

1 minute ago, R68OnBroadway said:

You cannot- while I agree Fulton is confusing, there isn't really a need for transfer between Broad and Wall as you have Chambers on top of it- but I wonder if fewer people know about the (J) to Lex transfer at Chambers because of the two separate station names.

I guess because there is barely anyone at Broad and Wall, and more at Chambers and Fulton combined?

• 2 months later...

Someone mentioned about the timing between (1) trains terminating at South Ferry and missing the ferry by a few minutes because of the offset.

Do they plan on adjusting the Ferry or (1) times to compensate?

Also, I previously mentioned that the (R) (via 86th St in Brooklyn) can be used to connect to buses headed to Staten Island. While this may add as much as half an hour to commuters from the Bronx and Manhattan, the difference might be less if you're commuting from Brooklyn or Queens.

What are this community's thoughts on that now? And if you have a final destination in Staten Island, how do you cope?

2 hours ago, MassTransitHonchkrow said:

What are this community's thoughts on that now? And if you have a final destination in Staten Island, how do you cope?

We wait the 29 minutes for the next yacht, since it's faster than riding to Bay Ridge and then waiting for a bus across the VZ and then waiting for the bus we actually need.

On 12/13/2018 at 7:53 PM, Deucey said:

We wait the 29 minutes for the next yacht, since it's faster than riding to Bay Ridge and then waiting for a bus across the VZ and then waiting for the bus we actually need.

that makes sense. I've heard that the train arrivals line up worse with the buses at 86th St.

Subways run so often during the rush that making them line up with the ferry is pretty difficult, because the next train after the one that meets the ferry would "miss by a few minutes". Especially because the trains are not all that close to where the ferries are, you'd have to figure out whose walking speed to make it match up with.

If trains are not running often enough to cause a situation like that, then the question becomes if you hold trains to make the connection to the ferry or from the ferry, and IMO holding up the entire West Side local service for the ferry is a bit ridiculous.

Making subways line up with buses is also difficult, because traffic across the VZ is not predictable, and the same issue of holding trains for the bus vs screwing up everybody else on the line still holds.

1 hour ago, bobtehpanda said:

Subways run so often during the rush that making them line up with the ferry is pretty difficult, because the next train after the one that meets the ferry would "miss by a few minutes". Especially because the trains are not all that close to where the ferries are, you'd have to figure out whose walking speed to make it match up with.

If trains are not running often enough to cause a situation like that, then the question becomes if you hold trains to make the connection to the ferry or from the ferry, and IMO holding up the entire West Side local service for the ferry is a bit ridiculous.

Making subways line up with buses is also difficult, because traffic across the VZ is not predictable, and the same issue of holding trains for the bus vs screwing up everybody else on the line still holds.

I think the only one we complain about is the (R) since it's so unreliable that getting on one - or getting off one 5 minutes before the ferry departs - is like getting 3 numbers in the lotto.

Coordinating (1) is the easiest since it's all alone on its route, but it runs so frequently during the day that no one getting off the yacht waits more than 5 minutes for it to leave. (And, since New South Ferry is right next to Bowling Green, if (1) is delayed we can do (4)(5) to Fulton for (A)(C) and still get to SoHo.)

That (R)(W) though...

On 12/13/2018 at 12:09 PM, N6 Limited said:

I notice that the station is on a "bridge" over the Path Train Station, how did they pull that off?

It was not always there. For the years between 9/11 and when construction started on the new WTC, it was supported by temporary supports directly under the tracks; no "bridge". There were articles and even some documentary segments on it. I'm sure you can find photos somewhere. That's definitely not what holds it up now. 

You can see the giant steel truss on the sides that currently holds it up. It's exposed. It's pretty, but also structural. 

I don't know the details of the new construction step-by-step. But I do know that just building things in the order that they did cost an extra $1 billion. They built the plaza before the station, and that meant building things in a much more complicated and expensive way than the usual ground-up method. Look up articles about the insane $4 billion cost of the transit hub, and you'll find discussion of this. I'm sure supporting the 1 line through all of that was a big part of the cost. 

On 12/13/2018 at 9:09 AM, N6 Limited said:

I notice that the station is on a "bridge" over the Path Train Station, how did they pull that off?

Expensively. Not even a single trace of the original station remains, yet the train runs through the exact same space that it always had for over a century. The insistence on finishing the memorial plaza before everything else delayed the station considerably. Before 9/11, the station was still 'suspended' over the PATH station in a way, but far more opaquely; the famous giant bank of escalators descending into the PATH station actually used to duck directly under the (1)(9) station, and I doubt that more than a few people even knew or noticed (I always thought it would've been neat had they installed windows in the station overlooking the escalators). The new WTC mall is a lot more open with its layout than was the old one, so it's easier to see how things are really arranged just by looking around.

The new WTC Cortlandt station is both an elevated station and an underground station at the same time.

Edited by Porter

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...