Cortlandt Street will re-open in October on the 1 Train

azspeedbullet

11 hours ago, LTA1992 said:

THEN YOU TIME YOUR TRIP ON THE SUBWAY TO MAKE SURE YOU HAVE ENOUGH TIME TO MAKE IT. It's not hard. Many on the island, I'm sure, do it. 

Why shouldn't you do this sensible thing that responsible adults would need to do on ANY form of transportation to get where they need to go? Also, why did you assume I was talking about the SI side of the commute when we were CLEARLY talking about the (1) ?

Simmer down please.

And this is why ridership is decreasing. You "just" have to time yourself. As if you have nothing to do in life but sit there and wait for the exact moment when you should leave the office to catch the train. What if your boss needs to talk to you for 5 minutes? What if you want to run an errand on the way back?

Sure, you can "just" time it or "just" wait the extra 30 minutes, but you know what else, you can also "just" start driving or taking Uber or taxis.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

And this is why ridership is decreasing. You "just" have to time yourself. As if you have nothing to do in life but sit there and wait for the exact moment when you should leave the office to catch the train. What if your boss needs to talk to you for 5 minutes? What if you want to run an errand on the way back?

Sure, you can "just" time it or "just" wait the extra 30 minutes, but you know what else, you can also "just" start driving or taking Uber or taxis.

So, what you're telling me is, if you KNOW the ferry leaves every 30 minutes outside the rush, you're NOT gonna time yourself to make a specific ferry?

What?

If you KNOW you're going to miss the normal ferry you take, for whatever reason, and if you have a good idea as to how long that thing may take, you can definitely make out which later ferry to catch. It's not rocket science. I had to do it every day. Many others have to do it every day. You live on Staten Island. You know how this works. Hell, even people who don't take the ferry everyday know better.

It's not some new conundrum. 

The logic of some of you makes me want to die. My father got a good laugh out of that as well.

1 hour ago, LTA1992 said:

So, what you're telling me is, if you KNOW the ferry leaves every 30 minutes outside the rush, you're NOT gonna time yourself to make a specific ferry?

What?

If you KNOW you're going to miss the normal ferry you take, for whatever reason, and if you have a good idea as to how long that thing may take, you can definitely make out which later ferry to catch. It's not rocket science. I had to do it every day. Many others have to do it every day. You live on Staten Island. You know how this works. Hell, even people who don't take the ferry everyday know better.

It's not some new conundrum. 

The logic of some of you makes me want to die. My father got a good laugh out of that as well.

Still stuck on stupid, I see.

Still making the assumption that all of us SIers don't "Plan for the ferry departure times". Sorry bruh, living on SI and being dependent on the ferry is knowing that it leaves at the top and bottom of the hour and knowing what time one needs to leave to walk to it or get on the bus that takes you to it.

What YOU don't get, aside from the fact we're talking about Manhattan service to the ferry, is that when the system is unreliable on it's best day, all the "Planning" anyone can do won't matter. 

I mean, on the SI side, if my 52 bus is scheduled to leave my apartment complex at 6:48 am to make the 7am ferry - an 8 minute trip with stoplights, but doesn't arrive or leave until 6:53, and the 6:40am bus came through at 6:35 so I couldn't catch that, what did all my planning go for? 

Naught.

But since we're talking about Manhattan service to the Ferry, and all it takes is an (R) or a (1) to creep and stop for all us "Planners" to miss the ferry by 1 minute because of it, I'm failing to see why that's going so damned far over your head.

Put another way, since you live on the Concourse: Let that (B)(D) get held at 145th waiting for (A)(C) to clear the block at 135th, and it makes you late to your job. "Buh buh buh Mr Bossman, I planned it to the minute...it was (MTA) holding trains up that made me late...", and you'll be everywhere - here, Twitter, Facebook, SubChat - even Ben Kabak's blog comments complaining about shitty service and timers and et cetera.

Yet we SIers - the folks who don't have the luxury of leaving willy nilly to get where we're going bc we have two chokepoints in our travels - the ferry or traffic on the VZ - need to "Plan" better.

https://tenor.com/view/elephant-man-pon-de-river-gif-10025898

Edited by Deucey

1 hour ago, Deucey said:

Still making the assumption that all of us SIers don't "Plan for the ferry departure times". Sorry bruh, living on SI and being dependent on the ferry is knowing that it leaves at the top and bottom of the hour and knowing what time one needs to leave to walk to it or get on the bus that takes you to it.

What YOU don't get, aside from the fact we're talking about Manhattan service to the ferry, is that when the system is unreliable on it's best day, all the "Planning" anyone can do won't matter. 

I mean, on the SI side, if my 52 bus is scheduled to leave my apartment complex at 6:48 am to make the 7am ferry - an 8 minute trip with stoplights, but doesn't arrive or leave until 6:53, and the 6:40am bus came through at 6:35 so I couldn't catch that, what did all my planning go for? 

Naught.

But since we're talking about Manhattan service to the Ferry, and all it takes is an (R) or a (1) to creep and stop for all us "Planners" to miss the ferry by 1 minute because of it, I'm failing to see why that's going so damned far over your head.

Put another way, since you live on the Concourse: Let that (B)(D) get held at 145th waiting for (A)(C) to clear the block at 135th, and it makes you late to your job. "Buh buh buh Mr Bossman, I planned it to the minute...it was (MTA) holding trains up that made me late...", and you'll be everywhere - here, Twitter, Facebook, SubChat - even Ben Kabak's blog comments complaining about shitty service and timers and et cetera.

Yet we SIers - the folks who don't have the luxury of leaving willy nilly to get where we're going bc we have two chokepoints in our travels - the ferry or traffic on the VZ - need to "Plan" better.

This guy is such an @ss. Seriously. 

2 hours ago, Deucey said:

Naught.

I'll add on to this a bit and saw that if the BMT Broadway has a bad day, you will expect crawling (R) and (W) trains at the very least between Cortlandt St and Whitehall St. It also doesn't help that dispachers also love to layup (W) s at Whitehall St and if there is another (W) directly behind, instead of sending it to Brooklyn they leave that train in the dust at Rector St while waiting for the relaying (W) to leave. 10 minutes later.

Edited by MysteriousBtrain
Subway emojis don't take lower case letters anymore. How did I not see it after this long?

I'm sure jealous of anyone that has enough free time on their hands to always build in big time cushions whenever they use mass transit. In my experience, as much planning as anyone can do, when you have a family, job, obligations, etc etc., it is simply not possible to always build in big time cushions for commutes. You will have times where you miss connections, and it really sucks, and there is not much you can do about it until you are retired and have nothing to do all day so you can get places an hour early all the time

I fail to see how reopening Cortlandt Street screws over people trying to get to the ferry... It's still the unscheduled stops and holds thats screwing you over...

And FWIW I don't remember people making this argument when Cortlandt on the (R) reopened

Edited by Around the Horn

36 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

I fail to see how reopening Cortlandt Street screws over people trying to get to the ferry... It's still the unscheduled stops and holds thats screwing you over...

And FWIW I don't remember people making this argument when Cortlandt on the (R) reopened

Who takes the (R) of all trains to get to the Ferry? I always avoided that train where possible.  Going from bad to worse isn't the best idea...

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

34 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

That wasn't a question per se.  My point was unless people are forced to take the (R) they don't.  It runs poorly and the (1)(4)(5) are better options.  

(W) is more reliable than (R), but even when I was next to USQ for work, I opted for (1) at 18th St bc it'd actually show up.

1 hour ago, Around the Horn said:

Because it's another stop and hold doors situation to go with the stop and start and crawl in the tunnel. All the "delays" on (1) going to South Ferry got worse when the loop closed, and I can foresee it worsening after Cortland reopens.

2 minutes ago, Deucey said:

(W) is more reliable than (R), but even when I was next to USQ for work, I opted for (1) at 18th St bc it'd actually show up.

Oh I know. I used to work in Chelsea and often rode down from the Union Square area. I'd take the (1) over the (R) any day.  18th Street was one of my old stops. lol

14 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Oh I know. I used to work in Chelsea and often rode down from the Union Square area. I'd take the (1) over the (R) any day.  18th Street was one of my old stops. lol

The only time (R) is good is at night when it's a Whitehall shuttle from Bk. Otherwise, overnights (N) via Whitehall is the only time Broadway Line is "reliable" - but that relative to the "can I get on the train going where I want to go before I pass out from drinking too much at Stillwater" factor.

5 hours ago, brakethrow said:

"..re-building of the station sends a powerful message that New York City cannot be stopped". 

does that statement really hold any weight when it took 17 years ??

In most scenarios, hindering an enemy for a period of time is good enough. It's the same goal with cryptography; protect a secret for long enough that when advances in computing and mathematics can crack the secret, the secret is no longer useful.

7 hours ago, brakethrow said:

"..re-building of the station sends a powerful message that New York City cannot be stopped". 

does that statement really hold any weight when it took 17 years ??

You DO know they had to build the new WTC and Memorial right over and under it, right? Then, Port Authority had to finish the new PATH station and remove the temporary entrances before any substantial work could begin.

These factors DO exist, have existed, and now that those obstacles are out of the way, the station can be completed.

And with Three WTC opening in June, there are no more obstacles in the way of Cortlandt Street opening in October. 

Edited by LTA1992

5 hours ago, LTA1992 said:

These factors DO exist, have existed, and now that those obstacles are out of the way, the station can be completed.

That doesn't add up to 17 years.

If the MTA and Port Authority were willing to play along, Cortlandt could easily have been rebuilt concurrently with the WTC PATH station, so we would have gotten at least some added transportation value out of four billion dollars.

This sends a strong message that New York City cannot be stopped - other than by quarreling public agencies and their expensive turf battles.

42 minutes ago, officiallyliam said:

That doesn't add up to 17 years.

If the MTA and Port Authority were willing to play along, Cortlandt could easily have been rebuilt concurrently with the WTC PATH station, so we would have gotten at least some added transportation value out of four billion dollars.

This sends a strong message that New York City cannot be stopped - other than by quarreling public agencies and their expensive turf battles.

I'm forever amazed how after 9/11, the entire site was cleaned up under budget and almost all the human remains were found, but one the rebuilding was to begin, all that comity went away and the overspending and profiteering returned to the point of a $4 billion train station was built to have a "signature" entrance that's hidden by the skyscrapers it sits in between.

Makes that whole SI Advance piece about Port Authority getting things done extremely hollow.

4 hours ago, Deucey said:

I'm forever amazed how after 9/11, the entire site was cleaned up under budget and almost all the human remains were found, but one the rebuilding was to begin, all that comity went away and the overspending and profiteering returned to the point of a $4 billion train station was built to have a "signature" entrance that's hidden by the skyscrapers it sits in between.

Makes that whole SI Advance piece about Port Authority getting things done extremely hollow.

Too many cooks, too many cooks...

That entire saga is basically NYPD, Bloomberg, Pataki, Silverstein, PANYNJ, and LMDC all fighting each other for their little random bits. Compare the execution to Hudson Yards and it looks quite poor (though compared to Atlantic Yards, it was a wash.)

On 4/22/2018 at 10:57 PM, Deucey said:

Great, another stop amongst all the other non-station stops (1) makes that result in people missing the ferry by 2 minutes instead of just 1 minute...

Granting (1) commuters direct access to WTC PATH, offices, and shopping malls is well worth maybe making South Ferry commuters late by an extra minute or two. The new South Ferry Station has made the (1) commute far more reliable and frequent, at least. If any stations were to be cut to save time to the ferry, I'd cut both (1) and (R)(W) Rector Street stations, since they're both so close to their Cortlandt Street counterparts, both of which being far more important stations. I'm sure anyone who is accustomed to using either Rector Street station wouldn't be too inconvenienced by getting on or off earlier at Cortlandt Street.

On 4/29/2018 at 5:47 PM, Porter said:

Granting (1) commuters direct access to WTC PATH, offices, and shopping malls is well worth maybe making South Ferry commuters late by an extra minute or two. The new South Ferry Station has made the (1) commute far more reliable and frequent, at least. If any stations were to be cut to save time to the ferry, I'd cut both (1) and (R)(W) Rector Street stations, since they're both so close to their Cortlandt Street counterparts, both of which being far more important stations. I'm sure anyone who is accustomed to using either Rector Street station wouldn't be too inconvenienced by getting on or off earlier at Cortlandt Street.

This makes sense.  Cortlandt Street pre-dates the WTC.  The problem is, we now have a whole generation that has never had that station because of the long delay in getting it reopened after 9/11 and as a result, some are going to be in for a rude awakening going home when the (1) starts stopping there on the way to SF.

9 hours ago, Wallyhorse said:

This makes sense.  Cortlandt Street pre-dates the WTC.  The problem is, we now have a whole generation that has never had that station because of the long delay in getting it reopened after 9/11 and as a result, some are going to be in for a rude awakening going home when the (1) starts stopping there on the way to SF.

A generation is typically 25 years—still longer than 17 years since Cortlandt Street was wrecked. Someone born as late as 1997 could have remembered it. And someone born in 1994 would have a pretty stable memory of it given frequent exposure. Once it opens, give it 5 or 10 years and people will feel as if the station had always been there. This is already happening to the (M) as it did to the (V) and (W).