Cortlandt Street will re-open in October on the 1 Train

azspeedbullet

1 minute ago, TheNewYorkElevated said:

I can't wait for the station to re-open. As a long-time (1) train rider, it's a big step for the Lower Manhattan subway infrastructure to fully recover from 9/11. I'll likely won't mind the change in timing for trains heading to-and-from South Ferry. 

I think it would be interesting to see what the design of the station is- if its a simple but sleek 2 track stop, I would definitely push the MTA to design more stations like that as all their new stations are deep (understandably) and oversized (which is ridiculous) with mezzanines that are pointless because the platform should act as a connection between exits and because art should be on the platforms to give them more life.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply
54 minutes ago, R68OnBroadway said:

I think it would be interesting to see what the design of the station is- if its a simple but sleek 2 track stop, I would definitely push the MTA to design more stations like that as all their new stations are deep (understandably) and oversized (which is ridiculous) with mezzanines that are pointless because the platform should act as a connection between exits and because art should be on the platforms to give them more life.

I could go without the art, since that’s another thing (MTA) has to maintain.

I’d rather they just maintain the stations adequately so they don’t have water stains and leaks everywhere.

2 hours ago, Deucey said:

I could go without the art, since that’s another thing (MTA) has to maintain.

I’d rather they just maintain the stations adequately so they don’t have water stains and leaks everywhere.

The previous station was in a postwar red-orange brick style—ugly and unremarkable. The only artwork I remember it having was a triptych of the twins and the surrounding neighborhood, which was ultimately crossed out in red spray paint and tossed like its adjacent advertisements. The original station had beautiful mosaics that were relocated to some museum after the WTC began construction; it would have been nice to see them finally return.

21 hours ago, R68OnBroadway said:

It'll probably look like South Ferry or the 2nd Avenue stations in terms of the platform design. Also, similar to the 1973-2001 station, entrances from the WTC mall will also be included.

As for pushing the agency to ditch the mezzanines, that's not going to happen. We all know that. Also, with cut-and-cover gone the way of the dinosaur, the need of a mezzanine in some capacity is in fact necessary to reduce the potential for bottlenecks between the entrances and the platform, more so on such deeply built stations. Obviously, they don't need to be as grandiose as they were for the 2nd Avenue stations, but they should be included in the design.

18 hours ago, Porter said:

The previous station was in a postwar red-orange brick style—ugly and unremarkable. The only artwork I remember it having was a triptych of the twins and the surrounding neighborhood, which was ultimately crossed out in red spray paint and tossed like its adjacent advertisements. The original station had beautiful mosaics that were relocated to some museum after the WTC began construction; it would have been nice to see them finally return.

I thought the original WTC redesign had white bricks on the platform.

21 minutes ago, Lance said:

The quality of this video isn't great, but the bricks certainly weren't white.

3 hours ago, Lance said:

Oops, I was imagining a different station's walls. The bricks weren't red-orange (the columns were, though)—they were a kind of beige-brown, but certainly not white either. Ugly and unremarkable just the same, though.

img_207.jpg

12 hours ago, Porter said:

Oops, I was imagining a different station's walls. The bricks weren't red-orange (the columns were, though)—they were a kind of beige-brown, but certainly not white either. Ugly and unremarkable just the same, though.

<pic removed>

You might be thinking of 49 Street that has those red-bricked platform walls. I believe both stations were renovated around the same time. As for the aesthetics, whether it's the '70s or the new '10s, the station design will likely still be pretty bland.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/10/2018 at 7:12 AM, LGA Link N train said:

Is Cortlandt Street on the (1) supposed to be like a 9/11 rememberance type of style?? If so then despite the station and the rendering being bland, it'd make sense if it were a 9/11 rememberance themed station. That's my opinion though. 

It's not. The writing on the wall is the Universal Declaration of Human Rights and the Declaration of Independence, so not related to 9/11, just more borderline platitudes.

On 5/8/2018 at 2:29 PM, Lance said:

It'll probably look like South Ferry or the 2nd Avenue stations in terms of the platform design. Also, similar to the 1973-2001 station, entrances from the WTC mall will also be included.

As for pushing the agency to ditch the mezzanines, that's not going to happen. We all know that. Also, with cut-and-cover gone the way of the dinosaur, the need of a mezzanine in some capacity is in fact necessary to reduce the potential for bottlenecks between the entrances and the platform, more so on such deeply built stations. Obviously, they don't need to be as grandiose as they were for the 2nd Avenue stations, but they should be included in the design.

I don't know that this is true. Plenty of systems do not contain full-length mezzanines (DC Metro, London Underground, Moscow Metro, etc.) and do just fine.

I never said they needed to be full length. I just don't think new stations should be reminiscent of the Contract I local stations where there were/are no mezzanines of any kind. There needs to be something to break up the distance between the subway entrances and the depth of the platforms, something between none whatsoever and the caverns that are the 2nd Avenue mezzanines.

21 minutes ago, Lance said:

I never said they needed to be full length. I just don't think new stations should be reminiscent of the Contract I local stations where there were/are no mezzanines of any kind. There needs to be something to break up the distance between the subway entrances and the depth of the platforms, something between none whatsoever and the caverns that are the 2nd Avenue mezzanines.

Well, that'd be what a lot of BMT stations have.

On 6/1/2018 at 4:55 PM, Lance said:

Honestly, IMO the best thing would be street level ticket halls. Saves an entire level of excavation and you still have all the necessary station facilities.

9 hours ago, bobtehpanda said:

Honestly, IMO the best thing would be street level ticket halls. Saves an entire level of excavation and you still have all the necessary station facilities.

They could build these into the ventilation buildings. But then again, if they did that, then the line could be built much closer to the surface and those ventilation buildings might as well be real buildings.

This might be the only underground station with the main ticketing 'mezzanine' a floor below the platform and tracks. Yes, there are platform-level portals, but the large main entrance and ticketing area (with access to both platforms) will be on the lower concourse level overlooking PATH Hall.

7 hours ago, Porter said:

This might be the only underground station with the main ticketing 'mezzanine' a floor below the platform and tracks. Yes, there are platform-level portals, but the large main entrance and ticketing area (with access to both platforms) will be on the lower concourse level overlooking PATH Hall.

You're forgetting the Concourse line

On 5/31/2018 at 3:16 AM, Porter said:

It's not. The writing on the wall is the Universal Declaration of Human Rights and the Declaration of Independence, so not related to 9/11, just more borderline platitudes.

So the Declaration of Independence consists of "borderline platitudes"? Interesting.

47 minutes ago, Italianstallion said:

So the Declaration of Independence consists of "borderline platitudes"? Interesting.

That’s literally what it is, yes. It is not legally binding in any way, and was meant as propoganda for a tepidly popular revolution. So I would actually go so far as to eliminate the word “borderline.” 

On 5/8/2018 at 5:29 PM, Lance said:

Personally, on the pre-existing part of the SAS Phase 2 built in the '70s for 116th Street they should keep that as it is and build in two side platforms there with no crossover, but mainly adding a crossunder below the tracks.  That could save money while keeping that part more cut-and-cover.

On 6/11/2018 at 4:00 AM, Porter said:

The Cortlandt St station on the (R)(W), also part of the WTC Transit Center, is also configured this way. 

On 6/11/2018 at 7:04 PM, RR503 said:

That’s literally what it is, yes. It is not legally binding in any way, and was meant as propoganda for a tepidly popular revolution. So I would actually go so far as to eliminate the word “borderline.” 

Lincoln didn't agree with you.