Cortlandt Street will re-open in October on the 1 Train

azspeedbullet

On 8/27/2018 at 7:59 PM, MysteriousBtrain said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Cortlandt St (1) reopens with a transfer no matter how useless the transfer is. Kind of like how Cortlandt St (R)(W) got connected to the (E) , I could see at least a passageway to connect to the (2)(3) . And maybe then the entire complex can be renamed World Trade Center with the exception of Chambers Street on the (A)(C) and most likely the (R)(W) as well.

The Fulton transit center would be relatively simple with two NYCT complexes in one place.

Well, I'd be surprised, since such a transfer wasn't part of the plans or engineering or MTA documents or news reports.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 9/4/2018 at 6:37 PM, Deucey said:

Was a station renaming always part of the plan?

If I recall correctly, the (MTA) shuffled through a few incarnations over the last seventeen years, but internally and not officially:

Cortlandt Street—World Trade Center

Cortlandt Street

Cortlandt Street—Greenwich Street

World Trade Center

World Trade Center—Cortlandt Way?

Edited by Porter

When a guard or worker on site tells you something, you make a post about it in a forum like this one—you don't write an article in Tribeca Citizen with a title that implies it to be fact. Irresponsible.

Anyway, if true, I'm delighted. It will be both far later than expected yet also slightly earlier than expected, so I'll take it.

Regarding the name, I guess I was pretty close. After all, the WTC is now the main destination of the station, with Cortlandt as an historical afterthought. I expect an updated MTA PDF map pronto.

Edited by Porter

These seem to be very hasty changes, considering the fact that all the wall signs read "World Trade Center". If I had to guess, I'd say they only realized & tried to fix the mistake after the news broke the story of no "Cortlandt Street" signage in the station several weeks ago, and that the sign shop made the "WTC Cortlandt" pillar signs after that happened.

Edited by P3F

Four direct (1) connections the mall, says NY1.

1) Oculus (west), upper level (uptown)

2) South Concourse, upper level (uptown)

3) PATH Hall (north), lower level (uptown & downtown)

4) PATH Hall (south), lower level (downtown)

And then of course there are the two staircases on the memorial plaza above that lead to the downtown platform.

I don't expect the stairs and elevator to the PAC (read: WBVA) to be ready for a while.

12 minutes ago, Coney Island Av said:

Who's gonna be there on the reopening day of the station?

I definitely will- and I'll try to be on the first (1) to stop at Cortlandt St in almost 17 years. 

I’m going in the evening — fewer foamers = better photography. 

1 hour ago, Coney Island Av said:

Who's gonna be there on the reopening day of the station?

I definitely will- and I'll try to be on the first (1) to stop at Cortlandt St in almost 17 years. 

I'm gonna be there around noon or later than that. I don't have anything to do tomorrow  (besides Homework), but I'll see.

58 minutes ago, RR503 said:

I’m going in the evening — fewer foamers = better photography. 

Ok.

12 hours ago, Porter said:

Seriously?

Double-U T C, five syllables. World Trade Center, four syllables. Are they afraid that people will confuse it with the (E) station? Who says Double-U T C?

Nobody says it like that. Ever. Even the most out of town tourist types call it the World Trade Center. And if the issue is potential passenger confusion, I have to ask, who's getting confused? Sometimes, I feel that they're going too far in the other direction in their efforts for clarity. It opens to the World Trade Center. It's under the World Trade Center. It's been the default station of the World Trade Center complex for over 40 years. Let it be called "World Trade Center". Damn try-hards at the MTA.

32 minutes ago, RTSTdrive said:

Anyone wanna bet they'll change the NTT announcements for the reopened Cortlandt St? 👀

Probably. We won't know until the (2) gets sent to South Ferry again, but I have no doubt they'll re-record the station announcement for Cortlandt St.

12 minutes ago, MichalkaManiac said:

Given that the (1) only uses R62/A cars, I kind of doubt it.

They've updated the announcement programs for many of the lines that presently do not use NTTs, like the (3) and (A).

On the subject of the reopening, I'm surprised there hasn't been a press release on this, especially considering the upcoming anniversary. They've never been one to shy away from tooting their own horns, especially on something this important. Also, I wasn't aware they went back to using "Going Your Way" for the tagline. I thought they discontinued that back in 2010 in favor of "Improving Non-Stop".