Cortlandt Street will re-open in October on the 1 Train

azspeedbullet

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Calvin said:

Isn't the (1) train the missing bullet for Fulton St Transit Center?

Correct. The (1) is just as out-of-fare-zone for Fulton Center commuters as the (E)(R)(W), after all, and just as sheltered. I wonder whether the Chambers/Park station will mention the (1) on its signage as well.

I checked it out today, very nice station! It also has A/C which is funny cause the underground ESI stations didn't get A/C in their rehabs yet this one did. 

I also wonder if the reason the countdown clocks are B div style is cause the IRT ones aren't made anymore or they used a different contractor.

Also checked out the stop, incredibly lovely. Cortlandt-WTC isn't the first stop to have AC, 2nd Avenue subway stops have them (correct me if I'm wrong). Also, the uptown platform's tiles are temporary wallpaper, which means the TA wanted this stop open before the next 9/11 ceremony. 

23 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

I also wonder if the reason the countdown clocks are B div style is cause the IRT ones aren't made anymore or they used a different contractor.

Mainline IRT clocks were installed back when LCD tech was exponentially more expensive. Now, well, it isn't, hence the changeover. 

FWIW this isn't the first IRT install -- mainline, yes, but (7) is all B-div style LCDs. I'll be interested to see if 28th and 145 ESI follow this lead...

Edited by RR503

24 minutes ago, Porter said:

The next time any of you are at the Fulton Center, would you mind reporting back whether they added the (1) bullet anywhere? Cheers!

There are added (1) bullets at the Dey St passageway exit on the (4)(5) and some more at the Oculus. There's even one sign that just displays (1)(R) as the subway nearby without (W) .

Edited by MysteriousBtrain

1 hour ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

17 years and $180 million dollars later. They could've renovated a good 4 or 5 stations with such money.  At least the station is air tempered and ADA accessible.  Still insanely overpriced.

The entire World Trade Center was a fiasco. The entire reason why everything was so expensive was that

- They wanted the Memorial opened first, even though most of the hub is under the memorial

- They wanted the (1) running to South Ferry at all times, even though it actually runs above the main floor of the WTC Hub, so they had to maintain the train service while the Hub construction was still going around it

- The Port Authority was originally in charge of the whole thing but then thought the MTA was spending too much, so they handed the site to the MTA and it turned out that it was not meeting MTA code for stations at all

Basically, never have politicians dictate the schedule instead of actual managers and engineers.

Edited by bobtehpanda

1 minute ago, bobtehpanda said:

The entire World Trade Center was a fiasco. The entire reason why everything was so expensive was that

- They wanted the Memorial opened first, even though most of the hub is under the memorial

- They wanted the (1) running to South Ferry at all times, even though it actually runs above the main floor of the WTC Hub, so they had to maintain the train service while the Hub construction was still going around it

- The Port Authority was originally in charge of the whole thing but then thought the MTA was spending too much, so they handed the site to the MTA and it turned out that it was not meeting MTA code for stations at all

Basically, never have politicians dictate the schedule instead of actual managers and engineers.

Well I just hope they have the basics working.  I've used the Fulton Street station a few times after meetings. They spent $1 billion dollars on that place and I was shocked that I couldn't even get the front door to the station to open!  A very simple thing... Not only that but the station is already looking run down in parts. If you're going to spend that much, at least have funding in place for maintenance and basically cleaning, otherwise it's a waste of money.  You know, money for power washing the platforms, etc.

16 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Well I just hope they have the basics working.  I've used the Fulton Street station a few times after meetings. They spent $1 billion dollars on that place and I was shocked that I couldn't even get the front door to the station to open!  A very simple thing... Not only that but the station is already looking run down in parts. If you're going to spend that much, at least have funding in place for maintenance and basically cleaning, otherwise it's a waste of money.  You know, money for power washing the platforms, etc.

Fulton St is a confusing place to transfer. I shouldn't have to walk up and down up and down to get to the (J) .

Just now, Lawrence St said:

Fulton St is a confusing place to transfer. I shouldn't have to walk up and down up and down to get to the (J) .

Well they were supposed to untangle all of that and make it easier to transfer. In my mind, the only thing that is a tad easier is getting to the (4) train in that station.  Other than that, I don't think it's worth $1 billion dollars.  On top of that they added all of this retail and spent money building out spaces for vendors and they can't even fill them.  Meanwhile we have stations all over falling apart.  Most of the monies should go making the stations more functional, having ADA accessibility and climate control and good lighting.  The rest of this stuff isn't really needed.  If they want art, have some artist donate their work to each station. I'm sure plenty would be happy to do so.  I know some of the monies for this WTC station went to infrastructure, but still.  $180 million is just absurd, and they technically didn't even finish the station yet since only one of the platforms were fully done.

Just now, RR503 said:

Fulton Center only exists because Sheldon Silver was going to sink the MTA budget if they didn't build it. 1.4 billion dollars later, I still have to walk on the (A) platform to get from Broadway to the (2)(3)

Yeah... I mean I really don't see the difference quite frankly.  Most of the cosmetic upgrades aren't that great given that they're already becoming dirty and not being maintained.  The last time I was down there, I purposely went to use those big doors that lead into the station to see if they have been fixed at least. The last time one of the doors were broken.  

I just think the space should've been thought out better. Too much retail to fill too that will be losing the agency money in rent down the road.  The only people going to sit in the place like that are mainly tourists, and they aren't ones to go to blowing money despite all of the gawking that they do. No one is going to sit like that and eat and all of that. They're too busy going to get the subway.  If I'm a vendor and I want foot traffic, I don't want to be on the very top floor where people have to make a concerted effort to actually reach my store.  That's another reason some of those places aren't doing well.

I do like what they did at Columbus Circle. They've re-imagined the space nicely. While it's still a concerted effort for me to go there, I do on occasion visit some of the vendors to get food, but not regularly, as I don't like eating and getting on the subway, etc.

10 minutes ago, themanchoman said:

the two of you are idiots for getting my best and worst subway thread locked, i dare ya to start shit again when i sooner or later make another thread

Can you like stop please, get over it. There is no reason for you to start personally threatening others on a public forum over this, and taking a random thread off topic. Quit whining over something so petty! 

Edited by NoHacksJustKhaks