Plan To Restructure The NYC Bus System

Brillant93

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, Deucey said:

Never understood why buses at the top of Manhattan needed to go to the bottom of the island when there's trains, but that's just me...

What about elderly folks who can't really go up or down the steps for the subway. Folks with walkers and wheelchairs.

Probably be alright if every station was wheelchair accessible with elevators. But it seems to be a hassle rather than just riding a bus or two

I'll believe it when I see it. Another (MTA) ploy to say that we are going to address the underlying issues. However, Mr Byford is showing that he cares about mass transit in New York and he wants to take full responsibility if all else fails. 

Again, i would like to see what recommendations they throw out. Possibly creating a new routing system similar to Philadelphia, Wash DC have with their transit systems. Yes, address the underlying issues with Lyft and Über and outerborough transportation. 

19 minutes ago, Statty said:

What about elderly folks who can't really go up or down the steps for the subway. Folks with walkers and wheelchairs.

Probably be alright if every station was wheelchair accessible with elevators. But it seems to be a hassle rather than just riding a bus or two

So when I was 15, my grandmother - who lived on Findlay Av/168th in the Bx, decided we had to go grocery shopping. She was 69 at the time.

This woman had us riding every freaking bus from there to Macy's on 34th to get groceries - back when Herald Square sold groceries. IIRC, it was a 3 hour trip down, and two fares including the transfer after getting off Grant Hwy. And this was back in the mid-90s when bus service wasn't so shitty.

Granted, she had her mobility issues, but she made it up and down the stairs in her tenement and up and down the hills from Morris Ave.

It'd make more sense, and probably be a better use of resources, to give every senior with mobility issues a city or state disability placard that subsidizes so many car fares each month than to run these bus routes from Inwood to Hells Kitchen or Murray Hill or Bowery.

I heard that they're gonna try double decker express buses in Staten Island again...this time around, I believe they will fit inside of a depot at least (Charleston has higher doors that Yukon and Castleton.)

11 minutes ago, Deucey said:

Just seems like it's too long to fit on SI streets, excluding Hylan Bl and Richmond Av south of Forest.

Probably the perspective is throwingyou off. My understanding has been that those are 40-45 ft just like any old cruiser.

-----

Anyway, what's the point of doing this double decker trial again? Didn't it fail in the mid 2000s and the 1970s or 1980s with a Leyland?

I like the reasoning of restructuring bus routes because they resemble streetcar lines of the past. Reminds of the rock away parkway station. It was a streetcar terminus and it was made for streetcars but all those buses and cars can’t get through that area efficiently. It wasn’t made for buses. 

4 hours ago, Blitz said:

I heard that they're gonna try double decker express buses in Staten Island again...this time around, I believe they will fit inside of a depot at least (Charleston has higher doors that Yukon and Castleton.)

Yeah what's up with these double decker buses again? I don't like the idea. They claim it's a move to Increase capacity.  I think they want to cut service... Paying before you board is great though, but it needs to be marketed aggressively to get people to stop waiting for the last damn minute to pay.  The same crap goes on with SBS.  People wait until the bus comes then get a ticket.

3 hours ago, Deucey said:

Just seems like it's too long to fit on SI streets, excluding Hylan Bl and Richmond Av south of Forest.

It was too tall and was hitting branches and such...

I think people should be watching this plan very carefully.  I'm particularly concerned about the technology being implemented to count how many people are on the bus. Before in the old days, B/Os could count how many people were on the bus.  With this new technology, there won't be a need for bus counters and some lines are basically holding on by a thread.  If they're truly going to study bus lines based on "demographic shifts" then some lines may be gone entirely.

37 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Yeah what's up with these double decker buses again? I don't like the idea.

They claim it's a move to Increase capacity.  I think they want to cut service...

Neither do I & not in the slightest..... Not a fan of double-deckers being used for fixed route services... To end up seeing one of these things on some highly utilized route here in the city like the B6, B35, B46, the usual suspects, would be a huge deterrent for me to ever want to utilize 'em on any regular basis.... The "cool"/something new & different factor would dissipate after a ride or two, then that's it.....

Claim to increase capacity? Heh, not along with being commensurate with current service levels being provided on these routes, that's for sure.....

1 minute ago, B35 via Church said:

Neither do I & not in the slightest..... Not a fan of double-deckers being used for fixed route services... To end up seeing one of these things on some highly utilized route here in the city like the B6, B35, B46, the usual suspects, would be a huge deterrent for me to ever want to utilize 'em on any regular basis.... The "cool"/something new & different factor would dissipate after a ride or two, then that's it.....

Claim to increase capacity? Heh, not along with being commensurate with current service levels being provided on these routes, that's for sure.....

The dwell time on those would have to be as long or longer than a bendy bus that requires MetroCard swipes just because of the upstairs. 

7 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

I'm sure they would love to use this on a line like the X1. They do NOT like the idea of running express bus service that frequently, and this would allow them to cut down on buses and the amount of drivers needed. Now the one saving grace is that the unions dictate that a certain number of runs must exist, but other than that it's all fair game.  If they're adding capacity off-peak, surely they'll be looking to slice into peak service, or maybe they're being REALLY ambitious and thinking we're going to get buses going MUCH faster, make trips shorter, and use those savings and reinvest them. I'll believe it when I see it.  I mean the fastest you can go these days is 25 mph, and a lot of these B/Os are doing maybe 15 even when there's no congestion, so this is going to be interesting.

29 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

Agreed with this wholeheartedly. These may work in other cities, but New York is NOT the place for double-deck buses.

From that pic of the double decker, I guess that answers the question of what scheme the new express fleet will use... The same as the local buses.

Do these buses fit in the Battery tunnel? If they don't that could be an issue if the TA bought these buses in the masses, as a lot of SI express buses go via BK to deadhead.

15 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

From that pic of the double decker, I guess that answers the question of what scheme the new express fleet will use... The same as the local buses.

Do these buses fit in the Battery tunnel? If they don't that could be an issue if the TA bought these buses in the masses, as a lot of SI express buses go via BK to deadhead.

The express scheme isn't ready yet...

Archived