Most confusing G.O/Unplanned Service Change Witnessed

Lawrence St

10 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

Alright, what's the most outrageous or confusing G.O you guys have ever seen?

Not sure but I'll make a fictional Combo that would be HELL

No (1) from 96 to Van Cortlandt Park

NO (2) between 96 and E 180

NO (3) service

(4) runs between Brooklyn Bridge and 125 St and 125 St to Woodlawn

NO (5) service

No (7) between Queensboro Plaza to Hudson Yards

(A) service runs local from 168 to Euclid and NO Rockaway Service

(C) is susoended

(D) trains run via 8 Avenue and Culver and ends at church Av

(E) terminates at 34 St Herald Sq; and terminating at Forest Hills

(F) via Broadway and 4 Av; No west end service and terminating at Forest Hills

(G) service between Bedford-Nostrand to Hoyt-Schermehorn

(J) no service between Crescent St and Jamaica Center PLUS NO (J) between Broadway Junction and Marcy Avenue

(L) Service between Broadway Junction and Rockaway Parkway

NO (M) service

(N) trains terminate at 42 St; 

(Q) operates between Coney Island and Prospect Park and Canal St to 96 St 2 Av

(R) service from Queens Plaza and Bay ridge

I could've sworn there was already a thread for this back in January

As for confusing G.Os list I've seen/experienced

(A) ending at Jay Street.

Northbound (C) Trains running via the 6th Avenue Line from West 4th Street to 59th Street due to the no (D) Train between 145th Street and 34th Street G.O going on with overnight (C) Service. Yes there was a G.O for that done during select weekends in 2002 and 2003 and it confused alot of people

(A)(C)(D) CPW Switchero G.O they did during one full week back in November 2009 southbound and February 2010 northbound due to doing finishing touches on that Chambers Street/Canal Street interlocking project caused by that fire back in 2005.

(D) in two Sections.

1. Between 205th Street and 34th Street

2. Between 42nd Street-Times Square and Coney Island Via Broadway.

(E) To Whitehall Street G.O

(F) in two sections

1. Between 179th Street and 34th Street-Herald Square ((N)(R) Platform)

2. Between 57th Street-6th Avenue and Coney Island.

(brownM) To Kings Highway G.O

(N) in two sections

1. Ditmars Blvd and 34th Street-Herald Square or Whitehall Street. It actually varied because sometimes it ended at Whitehall Street instead of 34th Street depending on the work that was being done.

2. Between 21st Street-Queensbridge and Coney Island via 6th Avenue Express

(N) to Forest Hills G.O

(R) in two sections (And yes believe it or not, this was actually a real G.O that was done in 2003 and it was really confusing)

1. Forest Hills-71st Avenue and 2nd Avenue (F) Station via 6th Avenue.

2. Between Essex Street and Bay Ridge-95th Street (And yes they used R42s for that section and no R46s)

(W) ran between 42nd Street and Coney Island G.O only G.O back in 2003. 

IRT 

(2)(5) switching roles in Manhattan in one direction. Even though it was confusing, It was actually fun riding the (2) via Lex and the (5) via 7th Avenue at the same time too when they did that G.O unlike now when there's an incident.

(3) to 137th Street G.O.

Thats about it.

Every single time they turn the (3) around on the wrong side at 14th Street I get confused. Maybe that's cause I'm an idiot, but it's just motor reflexes that I go down the uptown staircase to go uptown, and then I miss the train leaving from the downtown tracks. There's always just about nothing on the walls to announce it either. 

On 4/25/2018 at 8:05 PM, MHV9218 said:

Every single time they turn the (3) around on the wrong side at 14th Street I get confused. Maybe that's cause I'm an idiot, but it's just motor reflexes that I go down the uptown staircase to go uptown, and then I miss the train leaving from the downtown tracks. There's always just about nothing on the walls to announce it either. 

What do you mean wrong side of 14th Street? Are you talking about the current weekend service change when 20px-NYCS-bull-trans-3.svg.png trains operate between 148th Street and 14th Street, turning around on the downtown express track? If so, then maybe try avoiding transferring at 14th Street or 34th Street for the 20px-NYCS-bull-trans-3.svg.png train from the 20px-NYCS-bull-trans-1.svg.png and 20px-NYCS-bull-trans-2.svg.png trains?

23 minutes ago, JeremiahC99 said:

What do you mean wrong side of 14th Street? Are you talking about the current weekend service change when 20px-NYCS-bull-trans-3.svg.png trains operate between 148th Street and 14th Street, turning around on the downtown express track? If so, then maybe try avoiding transferring at 14th Street or 34th Street for the 20px-NYCS-bull-trans-3.svg.png train from the 20px-NYCS-bull-trans-1.svg.png and 20px-NYCS-bull-trans-2.svg.png trains?

I never understood why (3) didn’t run to Chambers St during this GO since it wouldn’t be holding up trips into the tunnel because of the closure, and on the express tracks it has the same switch setup as 14th St...

1 minute ago, Deucey said:

I never understood why (3) didn’t run to Chambers St during this GO since it wouldn’t be holding up trips into the tunnel because of the closure, and on the express tracks it has the same switch setup as 14th St...

I have no idea, but when they first spoke abut it back in November 2017, the MTA said that 14th Street was the next terminal station north of South Ferry (the new station, which reopened 2 weekends into the closures). A variety of reasons exists for this, At the time, South Ferry was a temporary loop station, so they couldn't trust the 20px-NYCS-bull-trans-2.svg.png and 20px-NYCS-bull-trans-3.svg.png train crews to open only the first 5 cars at the loop station. In addition, the new station probably has a capacity constraint in regards for turning trains, which I believe is 30 trains an hour, and throwing all three services there during the weekend can delay everything. Even if one of the three services turned at Rector Street and used the loop to turn around (like what the 20px-NYCS-bull-trans-2.svg.png did in previous Clark Street Closures), this can possibly delay service. That's why 14th Street was the better option for the 20px-NYCS-bull-trans-3.svg.png train, so it can run express like normal, and not delay other trains when fumigating.

Other service changes are somewhat confusing too, at least in my opinion. In the past, when there was no service to South Ferry, 20px-NYCS-bull-trans-1.svg.png trains were the one to terminate at 14th Street, running express from 34th Street to 14th Street. Given that the express lines also had to switch tracks there, thus delaying service, what I think they should've done is this:

• 20px-NYCS-bull-trans-1.svg.png: No trains between Chambers Street and South Ferry.
    • Service operates between 242nd Street and Chambers Street, then via the 20px-NYCS-bull-trans-3.svg.png to New Lots Avenue.
      • Late night service would operate between 242nd Street and Flatbush Avenue (since all normal late night service from 7th Avenue goes there).
    • Free shuttle buses operate between Chambers Street and South Ferry, stopping at Futon Street, Cortlandt Street, and Rector Street.
  • 20px-NYCS-bull-trans-2.svg.png: Service runs local between 96th Street and Chambers Street.
  • 20px-NYCS-bull-trans-3.svg.png: No trains between 14th Street and New Lots Avenue.
    • Service operates between 148th Street and 14th Street.
      • Trains operate express all weekend.

What do you think?

18 minutes ago, JeremiahC99 said:

I have no idea, but when they first spoke abut it back in November 2017, the MTA said that 14th Street was the next terminal station north of South Ferry (the new station, which reopened 2 weekends into the closures). A variety of reasons exists for this, At the time, South Ferry was a temporary loop station, so they couldn't trust the 20px-NYCS-bull-trans-2.svg.png and 20px-NYCS-bull-trans-3.svg.png train crews to open only the first 5 cars at the loop station. In addition, the new station probably has a capacity constraint in regards for turning trains, which I believe is 30 trains an hour, and throwing all three services there during the weekend can delay everything. Even if one of the three services turned at Rector Street and used the loop to turn around (like what the 20px-NYCS-bull-trans-2.svg.png did in previous Clark Street Closures), this can possibly delay service. That's why 14th Street was the better option for the 20px-NYCS-bull-trans-3.svg.png train, so it can run express like normal, and not delay other trains when fumigating.

Other service changes are somewhat confusing too, at least in my opinion. In the past, when there was no service to South Ferry, 20px-NYCS-bull-trans-1.svg.png trains were the one to terminate at 14th Street, running express from 34th Street to 14th Street. Given that the express lines also had to switch tracks there, thus delaying service, what I think they should've done is this:

• 20px-NYCS-bull-trans-1.svg.png: No trains between Chambers Street and South Ferry.
    • Service operates between 242nd Street and Chambers Street, then via the 20px-NYCS-bull-trans-3.svg.png to New Lots Avenue.
      • Late night service would operate between 242nd Street and Flatbush Avenue (since all normal late night service from 7th Avenue goes there).
    • Free shuttle buses operate between Chambers Street and South Ferry, stopping at Futon Street, Cortlandt Street, and Rector Street.
  • 20px-NYCS-bull-trans-2.svg.png: Service runs local between 96th Street and Chambers Street.
  • 20px-NYCS-bull-trans-3.svg.png: No trains between 14th Street and New Lots Avenue.
    • Service operates between 148th Street and 14th Street.
      • Trains operate express all weekend.

What do you think?

Isn’t that what they did after 9/11?

Just now, Deucey said:

Isn’t that what they did after 9/11?

Yes, from September 19, 2001, September 15th of the following year. However, 1 trains had to use Chambers Street as a terminal, which I think is inconvient.

I think my plan is much better than what they did. It is better to be simple than to be complex in making service changes.

Any time the (D) runs via 8th Avenue (which is basically every weekend now one way or another) it makes people do a double take.

When it goes 8th Avenue Express terminating at Chambers/WTC it’s relatively straightforward, but when it has to continue to Brooklyn it gets real confusing real quick.

And God help you if you’re in Brooklyn and they’re doing the (D) and (F) switcheroo.

14 hours ago, Deucey said:

I wonder if they're using the express tracks at Chambers St for something that would prevent using that station as the terminus for the (3).

The cynic in me thinks they're using 14 Street because Times Square would be to problematic with the (2) switching between the express and local tracks. I'm probably wrong though, so take that with a grain of salt.

14 hours ago, JeremiahC99 said:

Yes, from September 19, 2001, September 15th of the following year. However, 1 trains had to use Chambers Street as a terminal, which I think is inconvient.

I think my plan is much better than what they did. It is better to be simple than to be complex in making service changes.

That (1) was likely a beast of a route, especially as a full-local, which may have had something to do with them not using it again after the Sept. 11th service changes concluded.

3 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

In terms of confusing, I hate it when they have northbound service operating on another line, that just causes confusion for everyone.

Why northbound specifically? 

1 hour ago, Lance said:

I wonder if they're using the express tracks at Chambers St for something that would prevent using that station as the terminus for the (3).

The cynic in me thinks they're using 14 Street because Times Square would be to problematic with the (2) switching between the express and local tracks. I'm probably wrong though, so take that with a grain of salt.

That (1) was likely a beast of a route, especially as a full-local, which may have had something to do with them not using it again after the Sept. 11th service changes concluded.

Why northbound specifically? 

I meant in any direction. Like if the northbound (Q) is operating via 6th Av and the southbound via Broadway, it's just annoying as hell.

Archived