NYC Moves to Restrict Parking For Residents Only

Via Garibaldi 8

9 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

Lol... If you've ever heard the term "convertible apartment", it's the same thing....

Yup.... not just a Manhattan thing anymore in this city... Gentrifiers will maximize their minimalist ways however they can....

I haven't worked in a cubicle in years & I'll be damned if I come home to one !

Same here... I've had my own office for years now.  My friend... I told him... I'm like man we could have a large two bedroom in Bay Ridge... Took him down there showed him around... Clean neighborhood. He liked it because it had Turkish spots nearby, but he's like I gotta be near Manhattan.  I have other friends that have moved in the same area... Right by the Bogart Street stop on the (L) . That place still skeeves me out to this day. A friend of mine and his girlfriend moved into a new building there. Went there... Still tons of empty industrial buildings.  I'm guessing it's these sorts of people that are making parking more difficult too. More transplants coming here that want to do so with their car as opposed to in the past they were more inclined to use the subway at least.

2 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

Lol... If you've ever heard the term "convertible apartment", it's the same thing....

Convertible = there's already walls so you just need a door; Flex = you could use shades or get portable walls

11 minutes ago, Deucey said:

Convertible = there's already walls so you just need a door; Flex = you could use shades or get portable walls

LMAO... Real estate talk. I agree with B35... It's all the same sh*t to me, even though technically it isn't. You're still splitting up rooms so that you can pack more people in.  Some of these people are a trip though.  For example, I know a couple on the Upper West Side that are transplants.  The female has a car.  She never uses public transportation despite being walking distance from several subways and buses. She parks the car in a garage nearby or when she doesn't drive, she takes a taxi. At first I thought it was because she works in areas with crappy transportation, which sometimes includes areas like the South Bronx, but even when she's in Manhattan, she won't use public transportation.  She'll hail a cab like that. lol I'm sure she earns over $100,000, but these are the people taking up parking spots if they don't use a garage.

17 hours ago, Deucey said:

People also lived in single story houses, or two story houses, along with barns, not 16-story co-ops or Flex-2s in Bed-Stuy...

You ever read How the Other Half Lives? The tenements and apartments are older than the Model T.

How people live in their own houses and apartments is their own damn business. How people use the public street to store their public property, is everybody's business.

On 6/15/2018 at 11:09 AM, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Same here... I've had my own office for years now.  My friend... I told him... I'm like man we could have a large two bedroom in Bay Ridge... Took him down there showed him around... Clean neighborhood. He liked it because it had Turkish spots nearby, but he's like I gotta be near Manhattan.  I have other friends that have moved in the same area... Right by the Bogart Street stop on the (L) . That place still skeeves me out to this day. A friend of mine and his girlfriend moved into a new building there. Went there... Still tons of empty industrial buildings.  I'm guessing it's these sorts of people that are making parking more difficult too. More transplants coming here that want to do so with their car as opposed to in the past they were more inclined to use the subway at least.

On 6/15/2018 at 1:38 PM, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

LMAO... Real estate talk. I agree with B35... It's all the same sh*t to me, even though technically it isn't. You're still splitting up rooms so that you can pack more people in.  Some of these people are a trip though.  For example, I know a couple on the Upper West Side that are transplants.  The female has a car.  She never uses public transportation despite being walking distance from several subways and buses. She parks the car in a garage nearby or when she doesn't drive, she takes a taxi. At first I thought it was because she works in areas with crappy transportation, which sometimes includes areas like the South Bronx, but even when she's in Manhattan, she won't use public transportation.  She'll hail a cab like that. lol I'm sure she earns over $100,000, but these are the people taking up parking spots if they don't use a garage.

....which is precisely why you have these winners like the friend you referenced earlier, that just "gotta be near Manhattan".... Between four former co-workers, two family friends, an (extended) family member, and several other acquaintances, I know these Manhattan-is-the-centaaahhh-of-the-universe types all too well..... Even when I worked in the West Village, I never had that view of Manhattan... Still don't....

Funny how the narrative went from, "Oh, you live in Brooklyn.... Oh...." to " (Williamsburg) Brooklyn is a safe place to raise a family".... Yes, both snippets were the words from one of my former co-workers & I let him have it when he, in a bit of glee, blurted out to the office that him & his wife (who, not too long before the fact, gave birth) is moving out of Jersey..... So, now Brooklyn is this great safehaven all of a sudden... Another mouth to feed spurred that revelation..... GTFOH.... #GoToBed...

The part of NJ he lived in? Paulus Hook..... Bootleg Hoboken (which itself is a bootleg Park Slope in its own right)....

Drove to work every morning, bitching about getting stuck in the tunnel (Holland) - The same person that often exuded a holier-than-thou attitude of those of us that would talk about how f***** up the (1) was on some given morning.... This asshat was too good for taking PATH two stops to Christopher..... Yeah, I don't doubt that the dude has the same gas guzzler parked on some side street on the North side of Williamsburg....

1 hour ago, B35 via Church said:

....which is precisely why you have these winners like the friend you referenced earlier, that just "gotta be near Manhattan".... Between four former co-workers, two family friends, an (extended) family member, and several other acquaintances, I know these Manhattan-is-the-centaaahhh-of-the-universe types all too well..... Even when I worked in the West Village, I never had that view of Manhattan... Still don't....

Funny how the narrative went from, "Oh, you live in Brooklyn.... Oh...." to " (Williamsburg) Brooklyn is a safe place to raise a family".... Yes, both snippets were the words from one of my former co-workers & I let him have it when he, in a bit of glee, blurted out to the office that him & his wife (who, not too long before the fact, gave birth) is moving out of Jersey..... So, now Brooklyn is this great safehaven all of a sudden... Another mouth to feed spurred that revelation..... GTFOH.... #GoToBed...

The part of NJ he lived in? Paulus Hook..... Bootleg Hoboken (which itself is a bootleg Park Slope in its own right)....

Drove to work every morning, bitching about getting stuck in the tunnel (Holland) - The same person that often exuded a holier-than-thou attitude of those of us that would talk about how f***** up the (1) was on some given morning.... This asshat was too good for taking PATH two stops to Christopher..... Yeah, I don't doubt that the dude has the same gas guzzler parked on some side street on the North side of Williamsburg....

It is funny quite frankly how stupid people are. Brooklyn overall has always been fine. Sure you had some dumpy areas, but that's pretty much the truth in every borough. I agree though. I've never had the idea of having to live in Manhattan. I hate crowds with a passion and don't want to be in the middle of everything after a long day. I want to escape Manhattan with all of my might. I certainly could never in NJ.  Hanging out in the City is fine, but then I need to get the hell out of the place and go wherever.

Archived