Jump to content
Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
Lawrence St

If certain lines were to be closed for a whole week, would that speed up repair process?

Recommended Posts

If certain portions of the subway would be closed for up to a week, would that speed up repairs in the subway? For example,

Week of May 12th-May 19th:

No (1) trains running.

(2) service operates between Dyre Avenue and South Ferry.

No (3) trains running.

Basically like fastrack but with expanded hours.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lawrence St said:

If certain portions of the subway would be closed for up to a week, would that speed up repairs in the subway? For example,

Week of May 12th-May 19th:

No (1) trains running.

(2) service operates between Dyre Avenue and South Ferry.

No (3) trains running.

Basically like fastrack but with expanded hours.

This would not work as the (2) cannot pick up the slack for both the (1) and (3). Not to mention, the amount of shuttle buses required for this is practically impossible as less buses are available during the week.

It’s best to have a section of a line shutdown for a time so it won’t impact too many passengers while providing useful alternatives. A perfect example is the partial (M) closure.

Edited by S78 via Hylan
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It depends on the location, the work being done and the timing of the work. As mentioned above, your example wouldn't work not only because it would inconvenience a lot more riders than the usual weekend disruptions; it would also be completely useless. I'm sure you picked this example at random, so I won't look to deeply into it. However, such a suspension would not only slow 7th Avenue down to a crawl, it would also put an undue strain on Lexington Ave if you're closing Clark St as well. While it would be nice to add more (4) and (5) trains to allow for such a long-term event, it just isn't possible. Everyone knows how fickle the line is even at the best of times. Forget it when everything goes to the crapper.

As I mentioned at the start, another thing to consider is the timing of the event. You mentioned the Myrtle Ave closure as an example of this working. However, it worked mainly because the closure was timed correctly to minimize the brunt of the impact. The northern half of the line was closed for the summer months to avoid affecting school kids in the area and to allow for the shuttle train service to operate during the school year. It also helps that the line is on the far end of the (M) with relatively fewer riders and is not the mainline like you're suggesting with the 7th Avenue suspension proposal.

Things like this are a delicate balancing act. How does one speed up the repair process while at the same time provide enough service to get around said work? That is the question that plagues a lot of people and is something Byford is investigating if I'm not mistaken.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems to me that after all that money was spent on reverse signaling, it shouldn't be hard create a service pattern to rebuild and modernize lines by - for example - running southbound Broadway IRT services on the northbound express track and northbound services all running local.

If that can't be done, then it seems like another thing (MTA) wasted money on for no reason other than spending money on on something useless instead of on something else useful.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Lance said:

It depends on the location, the work being done and the timing of the work. As mentioned above, your example wouldn't work not only because it would inconvenience a lot more riders than the usual weekend disruptions; it would also be completely useless. I'm sure you picked this example at random, so I won't look to deeply into it. However, such a suspension would not only slow 7th Avenue down to a crawl, it would also put an undue strain on Lexington Ave if you're closing Clark St as well. While it would be nice to add more (4) and (5) trains to allow for such a long-term event, it just isn't possible. Everyone knows how fickle the line is even at the best of times. Forget it when everything goes to the crapper.

As I mentioned at the start, another thing to consider is the timing of the event. You mentioned the Myrtle Ave closure as an example of this working. However, it worked mainly because the closure was timed correctly to minimize the brunt of the impact. The northern half of the line was closed for the summer months to avoid affecting school kids in the area and to allow for the shuttle train service to operate during the school year. It also helps that the line is on the far end of the (M) with relatively fewer riders and is not the mainline like you're suggesting with the 7th Avenue suspension proposal.

Things like this are a delicate balancing act. How does one speed up the repair process while at the same time provide enough service to get around said work? That is the question that plagues a lot of people and is something Byford is investigating if I'm not mistaken.

If it weren’t for the antiquated signal system, the 6 Av Fastrack that has been getting done on weekends could be expanded to weekdays, with the Brooklyn (D) (F) swap, but would just need the (M) to be sent to Chambers St with the (J). As for the (B), I would run it between Brighton Beach and DeKalb Av, then via the (Q) to 96 St. in the peak direction, the (B) could run every 7-8 minutes and in the reverse peak every 10 minutes (N) trains would run via the (R) from Atlantic Av to 34 St-Herald Sq and cancel the Sea Beach-96 St runs. You would have to slightly reduce service on the (F) to every 5 minutes in the peak direction from Queens Blvd and to every 7 minutes in the peak direction from Stillwell Av. Half of the (D) trains could make the local stops for the (B) and the overall (D) service would run every 5 minutes. The (C) could be reduced to every 12 minutes and operate to World Trade Center from 168 St, and local service on Fulton covered by (A) trains from Lefferts Blvd.

 

CPW: 

Express (A) (D)

Local (C) (D)*

 

Broadway:

(B) (F) (Q) via Express/63 St

(N) (R) via local

jusr reiterating that THIS ONLY WOULD WORK IF THE SIGNAL SYSTEM WERE OPTIMAL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, darkstar8983 said:

 The (C) could be reduced to every 12 minutes and operate to World Trade Center from 168 St, and local service on Fulton covered by (A) trains from Lefferts Blvd.

The (A) during Saturdays runs every 7-8 minutes (8 trains an hour). So 7 + 8 = 15 minute headways for the Fulton Street local customers by (A) trains to/from Lefferts Blvd. You need to run all (A) service in Brooklyn local, not just half of them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, darkstar8983 said:

jusr reiterating that THIS ONLY WOULD WORK IF THE SIGNAL SYSTEM WERE OPTIMAL.

That's where it all falls apart unfortunately. Speaking of the recurring (D)(F) Brooklyn swap, this could all be avoided if they replaced the scissor switch at Broadway-Lafayette St that was removed pre-Chrystie St.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lance said:

It depends on the location, the work being done and the timing of the work. As mentioned above, your example wouldn't work not only because it would inconvenience a lot more riders than the usual weekend disruptions; it would also be completely useless. I'm sure you picked this example at random, so I won't look to deeply into it. However, such a suspension would not only slow 7th Avenue down to a crawl, it would also put an undue strain on Lexington Ave if you're closing Clark St as well. While it would be nice to add more (4) and (5) trains to allow for such a long-term event, it just isn't possible. Everyone knows how fickle the line is even at the best of times. Forget it when everything goes to the crapper.

As I mentioned at the start, another thing to consider is the timing of the event. You mentioned the Myrtle Ave closure as an example of this working. However, it worked mainly because the closure was timed correctly to minimize the brunt of the impact. The northern half of the line was closed for the summer months to avoid affecting school kids in the area and to allow for the shuttle train service to operate during the school year. It also helps that the line is on the far end of the (M) with relatively fewer riders and is not the mainline like you're suggesting with the 7th Avenue suspension proposal.

Things like this are a delicate balancing act. How does one speed up the repair process while at the same time provide enough service to get around said work? That is the question that plagues a lot of people and is something Byford is investigating if I'm not mistaken.

I know, I was just giving an example. A full suspension isn't ideal, but for a part of a line can. 

Like for example, no (7) trains between Queensboro and Times Square-42nd St. While this does impact a lot of riders, the (N) and (W) can handle it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just to be clear, it absolutely would speed things up, there's a reason why they try to do them whenever possible. However, as other people have said, at least in New York, there are few places and times where you actually can pull them off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Jemorie said:

The (A) during Saturdays runs every 7-8 minutes (8 trains an hour). So 7 + 8 = 15 minute headways for the Fulton Street local customers by (A) trains to/from Lefferts Blvd. You need to run all (A) service in Brooklyn local, not just half of them.

Sorry I was not specific enough. This description was mainly for rush hours, while all other times people along Fulton would only have the local service.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, itmaybeokay said:

I work off the 1 at 116 - how would you expect me to get to work?

Haven't you heard of Uber? Besides, you don't have commuting problems.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Haven't you heard of Uber? Besides, you don't have commuting problems.

Another great insight from Lord Fauntleroy of Riverdale. 

  • Like 1
  • LMAO! 11
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, itmaybeokay said:

I work off the 1 at 116 - how would you expect me to get to work?

You could walk or take free shuttle buses :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, itmaybeokay said:

Another great insight from Lord Fauntleroy of Riverdale. 

You of all people shouldn't be complaining about the subway of all things. Just take an Uber from Astoria, or give yourself more time. You said your commute wasn't that long so it shouldn't be a big deal... :o:o:o

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

You of all people shouldn't be complaining about the subway of all things. Just take an Uber from Astoria, or give yourself more time. You said your commute wasn't that long so it shouldn't be a big deal... :o:o:o

holy god - how stupid are you? Do you know how to read? Don't you teach kids, shouldn't you be literate? 

1) I wasn't even complaining about the subway, I was talking about a THEORETICAL SERVICE CHANGE

This thread is about a theoretical service change. I was pointing out the negative impact on me, and other commuters. 

2) I never said my commute wasn't that long, at any point, ever. It's about an hour. What I did say was:
 I said I generally didn't have that many delays 
TWO YEARS AGO

the situation has subsequently worsened, as I had mentioned. 

3) Most people in this city don't have the money to take an uber everywhere. If you do, good for you. Keep it to yourself. Regardless of whether or not I can afford it, I won't take an car service to work unless I absolutely have to. 

If you're going to try and have a grand old time calling me out, why don't you use that big ol brain of yours and do it in a way that aligns with reality writ large and not just your observer-created-horrorshow. 

  • Like 1
  • LMAO! 3
  • Thumbs Up 4
  • Upvote 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

You could walk or take free shuttle buses :)

When there's a problem with the 1 - I usually walk from the B/C at 110 st. That station is currently closed for ESI 🙄

 

In any event, as others have mentioned, the big problem with ideas like this is the buses for the shuttles don't exist during rush hour. 

  • LMAO! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, itmaybeokay said:

I work off the 1 at 116 - how would you expect me to get to work?

Take the IND to 125th street and transfer to the M60

  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, N6 Limited said:

Take the IND to 125th street and transfer to the M60

Looks someone has some brains!! :D

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8
  • LMAO! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

10 minutes ago, itmaybeokay said:

holy god - how stupid are you? Do you know how to read? Don't you teach kids, shouldn't you be literate? 

1) I wasn't even complaining about the subway, I was talking about a THEORETICAL SERVICE CHANGE

This thread is about a theoretical service change. I was pointing out the negative impact on me, and other commuters. 

2) I never said my commute wasn't that long, at any point, ever. It's about an hour. What I did say was:
 I said I generally didn't have that many delays 
TWO YEARS AGO

the situation has subsequently worsened, as I had mentioned. 

3) Most people in this city don't have the money to take an uber everywhere. If you do, good for you. Keep it to yourself. Regardless of whether or not I can afford it, I won't take an car service to work unless I absolutely have to. 

If you're going to try and have a grand old time calling me out, why don't you use that big ol brain of yours and do it in a way that aligns with reality writ large and not just your observer-created-horrorshow. 

tenor.gif?itemid=4616916

Edited by Lawrence St
  • LMAO! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, N6 Limited said:

Take the IND to 125th street and transfer to the M60

You guys are all missing the point - sure if it were just me, that's fine. But usually, in the morning, half the train gets off at 116. There would be thousands of displaced riders just at this one stop. The M60 doesn't have that kind of spare capacity. I've taken it all the way from astoria. 

  • LMAO! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, itmaybeokay said:

You guys are all missing the point - sure if it were just me, that's fine. But usually, in the morning, half the train gets off at 116. There would be thousands of displaced riders just at this one stop. The M60 doesn't have that kind of spare capacity. I've taken it all the way from astoria. 

Sounds like you just b*tching like the (L) train riders. I don't have sympathy for someone who brown nosed the (MTA) claiming that other people who were experiencing delays were essentially lying. Now that your commute has become f-ed now you see things for what has been stated for sometime now. I get your complaints totally. I'm just being sarcastic because you've been a jerk previously when others have lamented about horrondeous subway commutes.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Sounds like you just b*tching like the (L) train riders. I don't have sympathy for someone who brown nosed the (MTA) claiming that other people who were experiencing delays were essentially lying. Now that your commute has become f-ed now you see things for what has been stated for sometime now. I get your complaints totally. I'm just being sarcastic because you've been a jerk previously when others have lamented about horrondeous subway commutes.

tenor.gif?itemid=10089445

  • LMAO! 4
  • Thumbs Up 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Sounds like you just b*tching like the (L) train riders. I don't have sympathy for someone who brown nosed the (MTA) claiming that other people who were experiencing delays were essentially lying. Now that your commute has become f-ed now you see things for what has been stated for sometime now. I get your complaints totally. I'm just being sarcastic because you've been a jerk previously when others have lamented about horrondeous subway commutes.

I've only been a jerk to you, and only when you deserved it. Find it and quote it if you think i'm wrong. 

Also, I still don't think that you're getting that this is a fictional, imaginary, hypothetical, not-actually-planned service change, and my comment was only to make a point about the impacts of such. I wasn't complaining. 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, itmaybeokay said:

You guys are all missing the point - sure if it were just me, that's fine. But usually, in the morning, half the train gets off at 116. There would be thousands of displaced riders just at this one stop. The M60 doesn't have that kind of spare capacity. I've taken it all the way from astoria. 

As many are going to Columbia, they can take the M104 from 96th Street, they can walk through Morningside Park from 116th IND, they can walk from 125th St IND, they can use Citibike from a nearby open station. The MTA can also do this one week shut down, during the summer, spring break, winter break. It's one week, they'd get over it.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.