Double decker X17J MTA bus to run to Midtown this week

24 minutes ago, SevenEleven said:

So knowing the MTA, they would get them without the fences. Even if they did, they'll still charge an operator with hitting a tree when one of them gets bent or starts hanging off.

There's a tree leaning over in Brooklyn at the 92nd Street stop on the 53/93/79 right past the gas station. It has claimed multiple buses already, the union already acknowledges that it's a hazard but you think anyone would get in contact with getting that tree down? I said that last summer, still waiting till the next. 

It won't be a priority until something serious happens, and then someone from the union will go foaming at the mouth about this should've been addressed... Blah blah blah... 7/11 for president (of the union)! :lol:

40 minutes ago, SevenEleven said:

So knowing the MTA, they would get them without the fences. Even if they did, they'll still charge an operator with hitting a tree when one of them gets bent or starts hanging off.

There's a tree leaning over in Brooklyn at the 92nd Street stop on the 53/93/79 right past the gas station. It has claimed multiple buses already, the union already acknowledges that it's a hazard but you think anyone would get in contact with getting that tree down? I said that last summer, still waiting till the next. 

Yeah that's the MTA for you :lol:

12 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

So, an intercity service....

The Burlington to St. Catherine's portion is actually pretty popular with commuters and pretty busy for the most part hence the 12C on the schedule. From a passenger POV, these buses are fine. The advantages for passengers outweigh the disadvantages. The main issue with these buses, as many people pointed out is height clearance and low hanging trees that will affect the operation of these buses. While there is no easy solution for that, it would require the MTA to reassign routes and pressure the city to ensure that these routes don't encounter problems with trees. 

The trees are not major issues with double deckers - I remember in Hong Kong that trees jutting into the road from a mountainside was a regular occurrence and all you heard was a large thunk, but nothing actually terrible.

14 minutes ago, IAlam said:

The Burlington to St. Catherine's portion is actually pretty popular with commuters and pretty busy for the most part hence the 12C on the schedule.....

An intercity service that transports commuters is still an intercity service.....

17 minutes ago, IAlam said:

....From a passenger POV, these buses are fine. The advantages for passengers outweigh the disadvantages. The main issue with these buses, as many people pointed out is height clearance and low hanging trees that will affect the operation of these buses. While there is no easy solution for that, it would require the MTA to reassign routes and pressure the city to ensure that these routes don't encounter problems with trees. 

The greatest advantage a double decker can offer is the diminished odds of having to stand.... You would have to practically guarantee that no service would be lost upon any influx of double deckers on our express routes in the future, for that bit about advantages outweighing the disadvantages for passengers to be remotely true.... To make like the biggest drawback/disadvantage has to do with anything dealing with height clearances/restrictions AFAIC, is disingenuous....

I don’t know if it’s been mentioned or not, but if the MTA is concerned with keeping with on time scheduling, I’d be concerned about loading and unloading times at stops, then again hoping to get past the 16E toll plaza off the NJ Turnpike to AND from 495 with that traffic, it’s a wonder the issue of OTP would be brought up at all.  Even so, seems to me that the top should be reserved just for end to end travel alone

On 5/1/2018 at 10:00 AM, Future ENY OP said:

True.  I believe when the last demo came in that also had height restrictions on the Battery. I believe there's a height restriction on the Queens-Midtown Tunnel also-- correct?

Maybe some routes can go via The Bridges on the BQE to Manhattan.

I've been on many, many MCIs that whack into low hanging branches. Other than a loud crack, there's no actual damage or anything. 

For the double decker, the dwell time question is a good one. Perhaps having two sets of doors will cancel out any extra time it takes to get out of the top level. Those double decker tour buses seem to be just fine with getting people on and off quickly. 

6 hours ago, QM1to6Ave said:

I've been on many, many MCIs that whack into low hanging branches. Other than a loud crack, there's no actual damage or anything. 

For the double decker, the dwell time question is a good one. Perhaps having two sets of doors will cancel out any extra time it takes to get out of the top level. Those double decker tour buses seem to be just fine with getting people on and off quickly. 

Small/medium sized branches are fine. Smack, hope it didn't crack the destination sign glass and keep going. The bigger ones are the problem. 

All door boarding can definitely drive down the dwell time once they implement it with the new fare system. 

On 5/2/2018 at 8:48 PM, B35 via Church said:

An intercity service that transports commuters is still an intercity service.....

The greatest advantage a double decker can offer is the diminished odds of having to stand.... You would have to practically guarantee that no service would be lost upon any influx of double deckers on our express routes in the future, for that bit about advantages outweighing the disadvantages for passengers to be remotely true.... To make like the biggest drawback/disadvantage has to do with anything dealing with height clearances/restrictions AFAIC, is disingenuous....

IIRC doesn't the MTA use a 5:4 ratio when converting from 40 ft buses to 60ft buses? If we use that same ratio here 5 standard buses give us 285 seats, and 4 double deckers give us 324 seats. That totals to 39 additional seats.

This new AD Enivro 500 bus, numbered 0022 is something that I would love to ride on. The Tour Buses here in Philadelphia are double decked with a open air seats in the summer sun, they can have a replacable top cover for raining days and heat for the cold nights, runner by Gilligs and Vanhool. 

I got to ride it today, front and upper level. There were tree branches in SI, and they did hit the window, but nothing really happened. Actually, we hit them at very low speeds, turning unto Eltingville and pulling out of another stop.

If this wins an MTA order, what are the odds that Coach USA (and Trentway-Wagar in Canada), Greyhound, DATTCO, or Academy, or maybe all 4 or some combination thereof, tag(s) on to the order? An MTA order would make the maintenance network increase significantly, and Alexander Dennis and Coach USA/Canada share the same owner. All of the private company owners could up-gauge their Northeast line runs.

It may have been noted before, but this has to be solely the idea of someone from the UK where this is commonplace. The route redesign could in the future have Turnpike service full time.

On 5/4/2018 at 9:27 PM, aemoreira81 said:

If this wins an MTA order, what are the odds that Coach USA (and Trentway-Wagar in Canada), Greyhound, DATTCO, or Academy, or maybe all 4 or some combination thereof, tag(s) on to the order? An MTA order would make the maintenance network increase significantly, and Alexander Dennis and Coach USA/Canada share the same owner. All of the private company owners could up-gauge their Northeast line runs.

It may have been noted before, but this has to be solely the idea of someone from the UK where this is commonplace. The route redesign could in the future have Turnpike service full time.

I could see coach USA tag on the order because of Mega Bus. But I doubt the other companies would be as interested.

On 5/2/2018 at 6:52 AM, B35 via Church said:

Lol, of course....

An average outbound trip under current headways during the PM rush on the route, for sure, would have empty seats on a double decker bus..... Beats standing on the highway (NJ Turnpike) & on in to SI.... Two ways to address capacity are to run buses w/ more seating capacity & another is to run more service......

Well, other than that, they did it on purpose so the TA photographer can get photos of the bus fully packed, the pics are on their flickr lol. It was for publicity purposes.

47 minutes ago, Cait Sith said:

Well, other than that, they did it on purpose so the TA photographer can get photos of the bus fully packed, the pics are on their flickr lol. It was for publicity purposes.

Which is why I said "of course"....

I'm fortifying the notion of it being done for pub'.....

31 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

Rode the bus myself on Friday. Its a nice novelty for sure, but if I just want to get home, I'd rather just have a regular Prevost.

I'd take an MCI over a Prevost.....I hate the fact that those seats are more lower to the ground than they are on the MCI. You can feel all the bumps.

Just now, Cait Sith said:

I'd take an MCI over a Prevost.....I hate the fact that those seats are more lower to the ground than they are on the MCI. You can feel all the bumps.

Truth be told, I haven't been on a newer MCI yet but the last one I rode on did not leave a good impression. I probably just got one of the bad apples.

18 minutes ago, Cait Sith said:

That and the leg room can be very uncomfortable regardless of what side you sit on. 

15 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

Truth be told, I haven't been on a newer MCI yet but the last one I rode on did not leave a good impression. I probably just got one of the bad apples.

The one I was on last night was horrible. It was the last bus of the night and it sounded like it was going to breakdown at any minute.  I was like oh God, if this bus breaks down, I'm going to have a VERY long ride home.  Luckily we made it ok.

Archived