Double decker X17J MTA bus to run to Midtown this week

http://www.silive.com/news/2018/04/double_decker_x17j_to_start_ro.html

The Alexander Dennis Enviro500 will start running this week on the X17J, and the MTA has posted times that it'll be running:

According to the Borough President's office, the roomy double-decker bus will transport passengers between Staten Island and Midtown Manhattan via New Jersey from April 30 to May 4.

The MTA has announced it's using the double-decker bus as part of a pilot program. If successful on the X17J route, the double decker design could be rolled out citywide.

The MTA posted the following schedule:

April 30: 6:07 a.m., Eltingville Transit Center
8:50 a.m., Woodrow and Huguenot Avenues
4:59 p.m., 57th Street and 3rd Avenue

May 1: 7:11 a.m., Eltingville Transit Center
5:42 p.m., 57th Street and 3rd Avenue

May 2: 7:01 a.m., Woodrow and Huguenot
5:20 p.m., 57 Street and 3rd Avenue

May 3: 6:44 a.m., Woodrow and Huguenot
5:05 p.m., 57th Street and 3rd Avenue

May 4: 7:08 a.m., Woodrow and Huguenot
5:30 p.m., 57th Street and 3rd Avenue

1 minute ago, QM1to6Ave said:

I vaguely remember with the last pilot, some sort of GPS based system that lowered the bus (like a kneeling feature) before entering the tunnel. Am I remembering correctly?

That's correct. Some people were very concerned about this too. Likely another reason that bus didn't cut it. I wonder how they've addressed that issue.

2 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

That's correct. Some people were very concerned about this too. Likely another reason that bus didn't cut it. I wonder how they've addressed that issue.

The new buses are 12'-10" in regular operation, and the Lincoln Tunnel clearance is 13'-0". Not an issue.

10 hours ago, MNR Beacon Line said:

The new buses are 12'-10" in regular operation, and the Lincoln Tunnel clearance is 13'-0". Not an issue.

9 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

This bus is shorter than the first pilot. Its 12'10" IIRC

That means less head room upstairs for people like myself. At 6'4" I'm not that far from the ceiling on the regular express buses. I can't imagine having even less head room.

2 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

That means less head room upstairs for people like myself. At 6'4" I'm not that far from the ceiling on the regular express buses. I can't imagine having even less head room.

Same issue I have with MegaBus and I'm 6'1.

I'm supposed to believe express riders will be so willing to make their way to the upper level of these double-decker buses, when (for some) it's a big enough an issue to embark on our current fleet - even with the bus kneeled as far low as it can go.....

But who cares about any of that when apparently, capacity > frequency.....

35 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

I'm supposed to believe express riders will be so willing to make their way to the upper level of these double-decker buses, when (for some) it's a big enough an issue to embark on our current fleet - even with the bus kneeled as far low as it can go.....

Exactly. Outside of Staten Island, a large pecentage of riders are generally older or elderly and women. I can't see them wanting to sit up there.

Exactly. Outside of Staten Island, a large pecentage of riders are generally older or elderly and women. I can't see them wanting to sit up there.

And the busiest lines are on Staten Island and that's where they'll be using those buses. (For the record I'm not wild about them either)

It is a test...maybe it'll work famously and they'll order these coaches with a lower first deck ceiling so upper decks have more headroom. Although I'm pretty sure that to make this successful, they'll need to trim trees back or relocate bus stops so that damage doesn't put these buses out of service from collision damage regularly.

9 minutes ago, Deucey said:

It is a test...maybe it'll work famously and they'll order these coaches with a lower first deck ceiling so upper decks have more headroom. Although I'm pretty sure that to make this successful, they'll need to trim trees back or relocate bus stops so that damage doesn't put these buses out of service from collision damage regularly.

The trees were actually a big issue last time.  Even though these buses are lower, I imagine it'll still be an issue.

The trees were actually a big issue last time.  Even though these buses are lower, I imagine it'll still be an issue.

It's surprising to me that as much as NYC has rules for everything, they don't regulate tree planting and don't do regular tree trimming at bus stops and over traffic lanes since tree leaf and rain runoff causes flooding and traffic hazards

5 minutes ago, Deucey said:

It's surprising to me that as much as NYC has rules for everything, they don't regulate tree planting and don't do regular tree trimming at bus stops and over traffic lanes since tree leaf and rain runoff causes flooding and traffic hazards

The only time I see that happening is near areas like Central Park. I think the City has invested more monies in pruning given the most infamous incidents with trees falling on people, but it's not like they have a huge army to go around and do that, not to mention it being very tedious work.

https://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/06/nyregion/new-york-officials-increase-budget-for-care-of-street-trees.html?mtrref=www.google.com

4 hours ago, Deucey said:

NYC Parks Department does have a street-tree pruning program, but it's severely understaffed and thus severely backlogged. According to my local civic association, a tree that is added to the list now might be addressed within 5 to 7 years. (BTW, it's illegal for property owners to prune street trees.)

The tree pruning program is a joke. Years ago, they sent out very professional crews from the Parks Dept. to do pruning every few years, like VG8's article mentions. The last time they pruned in my area, they sent a single unprepared contractor (literally, one guy in a bucket truck) who clearly had no idea what he was doing and made a big mess on the street without cleaning it up. 

12 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Actually there no difference in the upper deck headroom for normal Enviro 500 and Enviro 500 Super Lo.

Here's an excerpt from the brochure 

ADI have shaved eight inches from the height of its predecessor, without making any reduction in the ceiling height of the upper saloon.

11 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

11 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I ride these same buses in Canada there usually enough seats downstairs for the elderly, and I know there's usually a couple of them willing to go upstairs too. Furthermore, the lower deck makes it easier for elderly to ride. 

6 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

The only time I see that happening is near areas like Central Park. I think the City has invested more monies in pruning given the most infamous incidents with trees falling on people, but it's not like they have a huge army to go around and do that, not to mention it being very tedious work.

https://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/06/nyregion/new-york-officials-increase-budget-for-care-of-street-trees.html?mtrref=www.google.com

Is there some rule against using contractors for it?

I mean Asplundh does it across the country.

2 minutes ago, Deucey said:

Is there some rule against using contractors for it?

I mean Asplundh does it across the country.

They actually do use contractors at least in some cases. I don't think they have much of a choice to be honest. They're spread too thin even with the boost in funding from the City.

2 minutes ago, IAlam said:

Actually there no difference in the upper deck headroom for normal Enviro 500 and Enviro 500 Super Lo.

Here's an excerpt from the brochure 

I ride these same buses in Canada there usually enough seats downstairs for the elderly, and I know there's usually a couple of them willing to go upstairs too. Furthermore, the lower deck makes it easier for elderly to ride. 

So then how were they able to make the height of the buses lower?  Before they had some sort of built-in sensor I believe that would allow the bus to go down the necessary height to clear obstructions like bridges or what have you.  

5 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

So then how were they able to make the height of the buses lower?  Before they had some sort of built-in sensor I believe that would allow the bus to go down the necessary height to clear obstructions like bridges or what have you.  

Most likely from the lower deck. The suspension might be lower too. But I've honestly never had problems with the height of the lower deck. 

3 minutes ago, IAlam said:

Most likely from the lower deck. The suspension might be lower too. But I've honestly never had problems with the height of the lower deck. 

I imagine you wouldn't. We've been talking about changes to the upper deck, not the lower deck. 🖐️

13 minutes ago, IAlam said:

What city & what service type are we talking about here?

Archived