Double decker X17J MTA bus to run to Midtown this week

22 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

The double decker was so popular yesterday it got full before leaving Manhattan... 

Double Decker popular  will equal to some loss in express bus service if this rolls out . Too bad these buses won't go via Brooklyn. Would be a great sight to see one of these on the BQE. 

Besides, when is the next express bus order. Hopefully, we get the new MCI line of buses for 2018/2019 or the ones from NJ Transit (2018) 

5 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

Double Decker popular  will equal to some loss in express bus service if this rolls out . Too bad these buses won't go via Brooklyn. Would be a great sight to see one of these on the BQE. 

As much as I'd love to see one on the X37, they can't fit in the Battery tunnel.

10 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

As much as I'd love to see one on the X37, they can't fit in the Battery tunnel.

True.  I believe when the last demo came in that also had height restrictions on the Battery. I believe there's a height restriction on the Queens-Midtown Tunnel also-- correct?

16 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

Besides, when is the next express bus order. Hopefully, we get the new MCI line of buses for 2018/2019 or the ones from NJ Transit (2018) 

Yeah, I could go for those D45 CRT LE's... Hell, I'll take the current D4500CT's that NJT, Lakeland, and a couple other bus companies have.... But double-decker's on our express buses? Nah, I'm straight.... 

1 hour ago, Future ENY OP said:

Well hopefully the MTA will have common sense and not cut service (we know they won't but one can dream).

Quite honestly these buses are useless imo unless it's on Bronx and via NJ routes. 

53 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

True.  I believe when the last demo came in that also had height restrictions on the Battery. I believe there's a height restriction on the Queens-Midtown Tunnel also-- correct?

12' 1''. Can't run in this tunnel either. And because of this I think Queensboro bridge is out of the picture too.

The upper roadway of the Queensboro Bridge is 11'6", but that is the only restriction. Those Top View sightseeing buses use the lower level all the time. The Triboro, Whitestone, Henry-Hudson, GWB, and Verrazano can accommodate the SuperLo, but of course those SI lines have to go through through the Battery Tunnel. The Holland and the Midtown can't handle them, so unless the MTA decides to change the lines themselves to accommodate the SuperLo, or modify the depots to handle them, then the SI Lincoln tunnel lines have the best chance.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dot/downloads/pdf/2015-06-08-truck-map-reverse.pdf

Is the bus ever on display around 57 Street? Like is it possible to enter at the first stop, check it out, then get off, or are the operators going to require everyone who boards to remain on the bus until it reaches Staten island?

1 hour ago, B35 via Church said:

Yeah, I could go for those D45 CRT LE's... Hell, I'll take the current D4500CT's that NJT, Lakeland, and a couple other bus companies have.... But double-decker's on our express buses? Nah, I'm straight.... 

D4500CT's 2018/2019 and the D45CRT LE's I'd take also. Not with the double decker buses.  

3 hours ago, LTA1992 said:

Apparently, that's normal. 

For the double decker's trip, it wasn't.

They had the bus in front of us flag the stops, so that the double decker can get fully loaded. It was done on purpose.

5 minutes ago, Cait Sith said:

For the double decker's trip, it wasn't.

They had the bus in front of us flag the stops, so that the double decker can get fully loaded. It was done on purpose.

From what I've heard the riders say, it still isn't far from normal.

If (MTA) decide to order more Enviro500, I hope they will use the config. similar to what Las Vegas and Hong Kong have, aka:

1) remove the rear luggage section for more seats.

2) have 2 doors (one for entry, another for exit)

On 4/30/2018 at 9:27 AM, Deucey said:

It is a test...maybe it'll work famously and they'll order these coaches with a lower first deck ceiling so upper decks have more headroom. Although I'm pretty sure that to make this successful, they'll need to trim trees back or relocate bus stops so that damage doesn't put these buses out of service from collision damage regularly.

order enviro 500s with "tree fences", like this one

35933637914_45914b1f8f_b.jpg

9 minutes ago, HenryB said:

35933637914_45914b1f8f_b.jpg

What exactly is the tree fence? Also, the problem with SI is that there's a lot of trees and poles that lean out over the street. So the right height and position can cause some damage if you're not careful. 

1 hour ago, SevenEleven said:

What exactly is the tree fence? Also, the problem with SI is that there's a lot of trees and poles that lean out over the street. So the right height and position can cause some damage if you're not careful. 

The Tree fence is the metal bars curved over the front of the upper level.

On ‎4‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 9:49 PM, IAlam said:

So, an intercity service....

17 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

Lol, of course....

An average outbound trip under current headways during the PM rush on the route, for sure, would have empty seats on a double decker bus..... Beats standing on the highway (NJ Turnpike) & on in to SI.... Two ways to address capacity are to run buses w/ more seating capacity & another is to run more service......

3 hours ago, HenryB said:

** picture of Enviro500 **

2 hours ago, N6 Limited said:

The Tree fence is the metal bars curved over the front of the upper level.

Right, but what is that railing supposed to prevent against? I'm not seeing (the logic).....

4 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

Right, but what is that railing supposed to prevent against? I'm not seeing (the logic).....

14 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

As faras I understand it, the tree would hit the bar instead of the bus itself or the windshield.

So knowing the MTA, they would get them without the fences. Even if they did, they'll still charge an operator with hitting a tree when one of them gets bent or starts hanging off.

There's a tree leaning over in Brooklyn at the 92nd Street stop on the 53/93/79 right past the gas station. It has claimed multiple buses already, the union already acknowledges that it's a hazard but you think anyone would get in contact with getting that tree down? I said that last summer, still waiting till the next. 

Archived