End date for 7 line signal upgrades delayed again

Via Garibaldi 8

End date for 7 line signal upgrades delayed again

By Spectrum News NY1  |  April 27, 2018 @1:19 PM

The completion date for some much-needed repairs along the 7 line is delayed again, until November of this year.

That makes five times now since the project started in 2011.

Crews are installing a new signal system, forcing service disruptions and closures on the 7 during nights and weekends.

The system is supposed to cut down on the number of breakdowns and allow for more trains to operate at the same time.

Straphangers who spoke with NY1 during the Friday morning rush say the extended timeline comes as no surprise.

"They're terrible, believe me. I give myself like an hour every morning on the way, when I'm done from the gym, just so I can get home," said one rider.

"There's always delays on the MTA. What can you do? As long as they don't raise the Metrocard," said another rider.

The contractor responsible for the project says to finish the work on time, he would need to order more closures.

New York City Transit President Andy Byford says he would support that idea if it sped things up.

But only if it will not interfere with Mets games, since many fans depend on the 7 to get to Citi Field.

Source: http://www.ny1.com/nyc/queens/news/2018/04/27/end-date-for-7-line-signal-upgrades-delayed-again

4 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

The annoying part is them being so concerned about Mets fans. If they had the same concern about people getting to work, maybe the trains would run better.

And unlike many who work, Mets fans have a quicker alternative (LIRR). They could just have a special subway fare for when the (7) is out and there is a mets game.

3 hours ago, R68OnBroadway said:

And unlike many who work, Mets fans have a quicker alternative (LIRR). They could just have a special subway fare for when the (7) is out and there is a mets game.

I don't think the PW branch trains have much space for a whole bunch of extra Met fan riders as most Met games start at 7PM and these Mets fans would be riding during the PM rush... 

29 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

I don't think the PW branch trains have much space for a whole bunch of extra Met fan riders as most Met games start at 7PM and these Mets fans would be riding during the PM rush... 

You could have a modified schedule on Mets game days where all trains stop at Willets Point.

So who wants to bet this contractor will get new contracts after this?

I mean, I can understand delays in tunnels when they have to deal with concrete trackbeds and whatnot, but the (7) is above ground. On metal. On wood ties.

I feel like if (MTA) were on Wheel of Fortune against a bucket of rocks, the bucket would get more puzzles right.

From what I understand the CBTC on the Queens Blvd line will begin testing this December. This is much faster than the 7 line because when you’re outside you can only do your work during the day so as not to disturb people sleeping. Since the 7 runs every few minutes during the weekdays they could only do the work on weekends. Since Queens Blvd is all underground they’ve been ending M service early and doing the work every night! So it’s much easier to do the work underground than outside 

1 hour ago, LexAveExp5 said:

From what I understand the CBTC on the Queens Blvd line will begin testing this December. This is much faster than the 7 line because when you’re outside you can only do your work during the day so as not to disturb people sleeping. Since the 7 runs every few minutes during the weekdays they could only do the work on weekends. Since Queens Blvd is all underground they’ve been ending M service early and doing the work every night! So it’s much easier to do the work underground than outside 

I thought work on aboveground lines was not allowed at night for worker safety issues?

9 hours ago, LexAveExp5 said:

This still doesn't solve the most frustrating system-wide problem: Upper management in the Department of Subways still flatly refuses to allow maintenance of the old signals while (and because) the new signals are being installed.

Archived