Why were Bx12 SBS/Bx5 trips to Orchard Beach eliminated?

Lawrence St

Yup, the Bx5 & Bx12 to Orchard are seasonal trips... Same deal with the Q22 & Q35 that stop at Riis Beach (Bath house stop)......

As for the Bx12 specifically, there is zero confusion between the Orchard buses & the Bay Plaza buses.... The +selects+ don't go to Orchard & the locals only head up to Bay Plaza during late nights/early morning hours....

12 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

Yup, the Bx5 & Bx12 to Orchard are seasonal trips... Same deal with the Q22 & Q35 that stop at Riis Beach (Bath house stop)......

As for the Bx12 specifically, there is zero confusion between the Orchard buses & the Bay Plaza buses.... The +selects+ don't go to Orchard & the locals only head up to Bay Plaza during late nights/early morning hours....

He probably meant the old Bx12 Select Bus Service trips, like years and years ago after the Bx12 SBS was launched.  the Bx12 SBS alternated to Orchard Beach or Bay Plaza (During Summer), instead in 2009 the Bx12 SBS only terminated at Bay Plaza and Bx12 terminated at Orchard Beach during the Summer.

http://www.subchat.com/buschat/readflat.asp?Id=104140

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_it

45 minutes ago, TheDavinchoo said:

He probably meant the old Bx12 Select Bus Service trips, like years and years ago after the Bx12 SBS was launched.  the Bx12 SBS alternated to Orchard Beach or Bay Plaza (During Summer), instead in 2009 the Bx12 SBS only terminated at Bay Plaza and Bx12 terminated at Orchard Beach during the Summer.....

I remember the old service pattern.....

As for it causing confusion, I still doubt it... I'm more inclined to believe that it was a case of bringing more riders to the *almighty* SBS in the long term..... (continuing to) Advertising SBS' going to the beach for years on end, would've eventually loomed detrimental for the Bx12 SBS - esp. considering how much usage it gets north of Pelham Bay Park (6).....

1 hour ago, B35 via Church said:

I didn't say the local Bx12 I said the select, and I haven't seen a Bx5 at Orchard Beach in the summer for a while now.

1 hour ago, Lawrence St said:

I didn't say the local Bx12 I said the select, and I haven't seen a Bx5 at Orchard Beach in the summer for a while now.

I know you didn't say the local... I'm saying the Bx12 locals only go to Orchard.....

4 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

Didn't the Bx12 local and limited use to end at Pelham Bay/Orchard Beach only?

The Bx12 LTD/Local had the exact same service pattern as today’s SBS/Local: Limiteds to Bay Plaza and Inwood, Locals to Pelham Bay/Orchard Beach and Sedgwick Avenue.

Only difference was that the Limited didn’t run on Sundays.

Years ago when I went to Orchard Beach, I loved the fact that at Orchard Beach you gotta swipe though a turnstile to get on the bus rather than dip the Metrocard in the fare box to get on the bus. Last summer I went there the shuttle bus was free between Pelham Bay Park and the beach, leaving the beach I had to get off the shuttle bus at Pelham Bay Park and board another BX12 local to get to the (4) train... where's going to the Beach the BX12 local took me straight from the (4) train to the beach, B/O let everyone on for free at PBP.

Also why does OB service start on July 4th rather than Memorial Day weekend? IIRC that was the case last year. 

On 5/8/2018 at 10:40 PM, trainfan22 said:

Years ago when I went to Orchard Beach, I loved the fact that at Orchard Beach you gotta swipe though a turnstile to get on the bus rather than dip the Metrocard in the fare box to get on the bus. Last summer I went there the shuttle bus was free between Pelham Bay Park and the beach, leaving the beach I had to get off the shuttle bus at Pelham Bay Park and board another BX12 local to get to the (4) train... where's going to the Beach the BX12 local took me straight from the (4) train to the beach, B/O let everyone on for free at PBP.

Also why does OB service start on July 4th rather than Memorial Day weekend? IIRC that was the case last year. 

Likely because July is around the time that new picks start.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived