Failed Pre-Employment Drug Test

ace1228

Roland Bishop..are you applying for NYC conductor or LIRR?  My son was offered a position on the LIRR as a car maintenance/Oiler.. not sure of the exact title and he also failed the drug test for marijuana.  He had not smoked in 2 months and took 3 tests before the drug test and all 3 were clean but they said he came up dirty for marijuana.  You explained that you were able to do some kind of program on line and would be put back on the list, my son has not been told anything about that and HR is not returning his calls.  It’s so frustrating and I’m so upset over this and not sure where to get this information or who to call.  

Any help would be appreciated. 

Thanks

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
1 hour ago, Nycstar said:

Any updates?

Yeah, I got a letter in the mail basically stating that my case was reviewed and they decided I’m not eligible for the job. A bunch of time & money Wasted for no reason SMH

The whole marijuana testing is so unfair.  They use higher guidelines than most companies so many people are going to fail even after not smoking for months.  My son stopped for almost 3 months before he went did the drug test and he still failed.  He passed 3 store drug tests but because their guidelines are so high he still failed.  We all know that other drugs only stay in your system 3-5 days, so many people work around it but with marijuana it stays in your system for so long.  So someone who is doing cocaine or heroin can pass the drug test probably after being 5-7 days clean depending on how much and how long they were doing it.  Smh 

• 1 month later...

Why were u guys ineligible after u completed sap I been waiting 5 years for test 7300 of course I smoked and I'm here rn 180 living as I'm typing this and I'm shook fail and then take a program was the doctor for the app shady in anyway and could have possibly denied u what's the deal I'm about to just walk out

My son was offered a job by the LIRR.  He smokes but the day he found out about the job he stopped, he too his drug test more than two months after he smoked.  Before he went for the drug test, we bought 3 test from the pharmacy and all were negative.  I’m old school and had always heard that weed is out of your system in 30 days, so I thought for sure he was clean and he came up clean on all three tests that we bought.  Well, I researched every where after he failed and the 30 day thing is not true.  It depends on how much you smoked, how often and how much body fat you have.  I also read that there is a federal guideline of 50 nanograms but some employers use a higher level.  The ones that we bought were 50 nanograms, so obviously the LIRR uses a higher level.  It’s so frustrating because we all pretty much know that if you do any other drug, it’s usually out of your system by 3-5 days. 

• 1 year later...

Hello I was wondering if anyone was able to help me here with my question..

In 2013 I failed a pre employment drug test for bus driver. I got the call from the examiner and he mailed a SAP list that I eventually threw away as I felt I wasn't going to pursue the bus driver job. Then in 2018 I took the track worker test and did very well on it and I want to pursue that very much. I got my test score number and am in the 400 category. So I decided to take it upon myself to put myself through the SAP program with a certified DOT SAP counselor by my home in New Jersey. I am about done with the program but she is telling me in order to complete the program she needs contact info from the MTA so she can send my documents to. I told her that I haven't been called yet for the position, and that due to Covid I think the office at 180 Livingston Street was closed as I tried to call numerous times with no luck with anyone picking up the phone. So I was wondering if anyone here knows who to contact or how this is supposed to go. Or if I am going to run into any problems with eligibility. I was hoping to have this all done before I got called so that way I'd have no issues when the time came during the hiring process. If anyone out  there who has gone through process can please help or point me in the right direction on what to do next would greatly be appreciated. 

43 minutes ago, Steve78 said:

Hello I was wondering if anyone was able to help me here with my question...

First of all, welcome to the website!

Second, when you get the initial paperwork for the Track Worker position, which will probably be something similar to this, on pages 13 and 14 the key words are "past two years." Therefore, if this happened back in 2013, as long as you completed the SAP, I wouldn't worry about it.

In addition, have you considered registering yourself with the Drug and Alcohol Clearinghouse Program, which is sponsored by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration? (If you need them, click here for instructions.) I have done so, and, as you can see below, not only do I have "no violations reported in the Clearinghouse," since I tested negative on all of my drug tests throughout my entire lifetime, but, according to the webpage, "The Clearinghouse contains no information that  prohibits you from operating a CMV."

If you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

FMCSA Drug Alcohol Clearinghouse dashboard.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/27/2020 at 7:15 PM, +Young+ said:

First of all, welcome to the website!

Second, when you get the initial paperwork for the Track Worker position, which will probably be something similar to this, on pages 13 and 14 the key words are "past two years." Therefore, if this happened back in 2013, as long as you completed the SAP, I wouldn't worry about it.

In addition, have you considered registering yourself with the Drug and Alcohol Clearinghouse Program, which is sponsored by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration? (If you need them, click here for instructions.) I have done so, and, as you can see below, not only do I have "no violations reported in the Clearinghouse," since I tested negative on all of my drug tests throughout my entire lifetime, but, according to the webpage, "The Clearinghouse contains no information that  prohibits you from operating a CMV."

If you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

FMCSA Drug Alcohol Clearinghouse dashboard.jpg

Thank you for your response. I do have another question. The 2 questions that are listed on page 13, are both of those questions only referring to the past 2 years? I see the 1st question states 2 years but does that hold true for the 2nd question as well?

The current dilemma i am in is that I went to the SAP program and did the 1st interview and went to the 5 recommended sessions and finished those but now the SAP lady for the final interview is saying she can't complete me until I provide the date I was positive back in 2013 and the name of the Designated employee representative at the MTA. I have been trying to get this info for weeks with no luck as all I get are either answering machines or the phone just rings with no answer at the MTA. A woman at MTA gave me the extension I needed but no one ever answers and I've left a few messages with no call backs and I'm starting to feel like I just wasted 600 dollars on this Sap program if they wont let me complete it due to not having these pieces of info.

Also I tried to register for the drug and alcohol clearing house program that you recommended but I couldn't find any record on myself as I had never renewed my CDL license after 2013 due to me taking another job and I felt I didn't need it anymore so my license has been reverted to a class D since 2013.

I've been drug free for going on 7 years now and I'm just trying to do the right thing so the day when the call comes for the track worker job I am all ready to go with no road blocks in the way. I am in the 400's on the list for the #8600 test and I just do not want to mess this up. So if you have any answers I'd greatly appreciate it. 

Thank you

2 minutes ago, Steve78 said:

Thank you for your response. I do have another question....

Thank you

The first two questions are for the past two years. As far as the MTA is concerned, I would not worry about it until you are called in. As of this typing, they did not call off anyone from Exam # 8600, so nobody knows who this person is until they start calling off.

If I was you, I would not worry about this until they start calling off of Exam # 8600. Me, personally, I would keep the contact information for the "SAP lady" and worry about it when the time comes. Chances are, the agency is going to worry about their candidates testing positive within the past two years and two years only.