When a 24/7 service on Metro North?

I love NY

28 minutes ago, R68OnBroadway said:

Seems odd then to not run MNR at night, I would expect maybe the Harlem Line to run overnight.

Nope. Last trains leave GCT around 2am. Never noticed the signs at GCT saying the station is closed overnight?

Well, I'm old enough to remember when MNRR did run overnight. During the homeless crisis of the 80s (or 70s?), they decided to shut down GCT at 2 am to shoo out the homeless. That eliminated several trains on each division that ran between 2 and 5.

6 minutes ago, Italianstallion said:

Well, I'm old enough to remember when MNRR did run overnight. During the homeless crisis of the 80s (or 70s?), they decided to shut down GCT at 2 am to shoo out the homeless. That eliminated several trains on each division that ran between 2 and 5.

Further, GCT was closed at night starting July 2, 1973. 

https://www.nytimes.com/1973/06/07/archives/grand-central-closing-at-night-penn-central-cuts-9-trains-using.html

The Penn Central announced yesterday that it would close Grand Central Terminal from 1:30 A.M. to 5:30 A.M. starting July 2 and would discontinue nine trains that use the termin al during those hours.

In addition the railroad will discontinue 25 other trains 12 on the Hudson division and 13 on the Harlem division— and will close three stations in the Bronx and four on the upper section of the Hudson division.

The terminal is owned by the bankrupt Penn Central but is leased, as are the commuter lines that use it, by the Metro politan Transportation Au thority.

Last month a spokesman said that the M. T. A. and the Penn Central were considering clos ing the terminal during the early‐morning hours because it was frequented at those times by “undesirables.” He also said that closing the terminal would make it easier to clean.

However, yesterday's announcement said only that “new timetables for the Harlem, Hudson and New Haven commuter lines” would permit “financial economies in their deficit operations,” and would introduce “better performance efficiencies.”

Robert K. Pattison, general manager of the Penn Central's metropolitan region, said:

“These adjustments in train and station service are being made because of light patronage. The trains and stations involved are no longer providing a real service to the public. A more efficient and economic service will result from these changes.”

The following trains are be ing dropped:

New Haven division: The 2:10 A.M. from Grand Central to Stamford and the 4:40 A.M. from Grand Central to New Haven. The present 1:10 A.M. to Stamford will have a new departure time of 1:30 A.M.

Harlem division: The 3 A.M. and 4:30 A.M. from Grand Cen tral to North White Plains, and the 12:56 A.M. and 3:26 A.M. from North White Plains to Grand Central.

Hudson division: The 5:20 A.M. from Grand Central to Croton‐Harmon, with connec tion to Poughkeepsie; the 11:30 P.M. from Poughkeepsie, mak ing connection at 12:30 A.M. at Croton‐Harmon to Grand Cen tral, and the 4:30 A.M. from Croton‐Harmon to Grand Cen tral.

It also helps reverse commuters and intra-suburban commuters. For example, the first Hudson Line train out of Grand Central doesn't get to Poughkeepsie until after 8AM. If anybody has a 7AM start time anywhere north of Croton-Harmon, they're out of luck. 

I too requested that Metro-North run longer at the hearing in North Riverdale. It wouldn't take much either. You could run hourly service at least to Croton-on-Hudson (Croton Harmon).

I expect that eventually with affluent  areas like Tarrytown pushing for this that something will happen.

20 hours ago, R68OnBroadway said:

LIRR runs overnight though, right?

No. The last train out of Penn Station or Atlantic Terminal for most branches are around 1:40 am or 2am. LIRR trains start service again till 4 in the morning. The n4 and the n6 are the only things with 24 hr service between Jamaica and Nassau daily.

There is a definite need for at least 1 or 2 trains between 1:50 and 5:30. If you've ever experienced waiting at the GC/Subway entrance, you'll know waiting for that first train of the day is a modern-day hellscape.

On 5/5/2018 at 11:50 PM, checkmatechamp13 said:

It also helps reverse commuters and intra-suburban commuters. For example, the first Hudson Line train out of Grand Central doesn't get to Poughkeepsie until after 8AM. If anybody has a 7AM start time anywhere north of Croton-Harmon, they're out of luck. 

THIS.

The first outbound trips don't leave damn-near till when the first inbound trains arrive.

I can't remember when, but I remember a sort-of press release that touted Metro-North experiencing "exploding" reverse commuting trends. Northern suburbs don't count huh?

The last major shift MNR has done recently is adding 1/2 hour service on Sundays. 

On 5/6/2018 at 3:03 PM, NY1635 said:

No. The last train out of Penn Station or Atlantic Terminal for most branches are around 1:40 am or 2am. LIRR trains start service again till 4 in the morning. The n4 and the n6 are the only things with 24 hr service between Jamaica and Nassau daily.

Check out the City Terminal Zone schedule for weekdays. There are trains between Pennsylvania Station and Jamaica although there’s a gap of an hour or so in there. The Atlantic Branch does shut down overnight. I remember that the Ronkonkoma Branch had a 90 minute gap sometime between 2 and 4 in the morning . 

Archived