Condition of the NJT Tracks

DHayward

Finally, here's a group of people that will know the answer to this question I've had.

I have a friend who lives in New Jersey. I asked her some questions about the NJT lines there, ie: do they own their own tracks ect. She told me that Amtrak owns the actual tracks down there, and they're kept in less-than-perfect condition.

Is this statement true? I know the MBTA up here owns their own tracks, but I'm curious to learn about the NJT.

Amtrak owns the tracks for the NEC line, thats it.

Yep, everything else is or should be owned by NJT. Also, I remember looking at the tracks of the Raritan Valley branch a while ago and they looked like they were in very good condition. Maybe on the other branches or the NEC they aren't so good.

• 4 weeks later...

I live in NJ now, and use the lines often. Most of them are in great condition. sorry f i'm ressurecting an old thread. I do use the system quite often and a few times i have seen maintinence crews working. Yes they are ussually kept in good condidtion.

The Railroad tracks east of CP Aldene on the Raritan Valley Line are owned by Conrail Shared Assets and is of course the Lehigh Line. From Aldene west the RVL is owned by NJ Transit. The Raritan Valley Line is of course in Excellent shape.

Eric

Archived