Jump to content
Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
KK 6 Ave Local

Well ok then- Sixth Avenue in a nutshell.

Recommended Posts

So this weekend and past weekends I have been waiting for a (D) or (F) train to get somewhere. And they don't come often. For example, here is a countdown clock shown at Bay Pkwy:

(D) 32 mins (luckily I was on a train when I saw it)

And that was it. There is a topic about the (F) not having enough service especially on weekends but I think the (D) needs more service too. While both trains have 3 merges in both directions, I guess there's de-interlining and CBTC but until then I feel bad for West End, Culver, and Sixth Ave Line riders. Weekdays are fine but weekends are just depressing.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Removing scheduled interlining would do nothing to improve weekend service. Choose a different scapegoat.

Edited by P3F
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, P3F said:

Removing scheduled interlining would do almost nothing to improve weekend service. Choose a different scapegoat.

My new scapegoat is the MTA 

either way the trains have dumb headways which we need to fix

 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, KK 6 Ave Local said:

So this weekend and past weekends I have been waiting for a (D) or (F) train to get somewhere. And they don't come often. For example, here is a countdown clock shown at Bay Pkwy:

(D) 32 mins (luckily I was on a train when I saw it)

And that was it. There is a topic about the (F) not having enough service especially on weekends but I think the (D) needs more service too. While both trains have 3 merges in both directions, I guess there's de-interlining and CBTC but until then I feel bad for West End, Culver, and Sixth Ave Line riders. Weekdays are fine but weekends are just depressing.

On weekends, the only time I get screwed is when the (D), (F), (N), and (Q) simultaneously leave the Coney Island terminal in quick succession. Then I have to wait that 10-minutes headway (or whatever the MTA decided for that particular time). Sometimes trains are on a 12-minute or 15-minute headway which the MTA usually does not mention in the service changes.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Honestly before we get to decreasing headways, what we really need is off peak gap trains everywhere possible. People’s main complaint with weekend subway service is that it’s mad unreliable, not so much that it’s infrequent. If we have crewed trains ready to go into service at key areas around the system, we could at the very least shorten the all-too-frequent chasms in weekend train service.

And yes, I’m aware that gap trains don’t address the root of the issue (crew availability, GO productivity, flagging), but they sure as hell alleviate the worst of its effects. Baby steps. 

Edited by RR503
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The (D) train apparently has headways of EIGHT minutes at least going by the countdown clocks I've seen during that time. The problem is they RARELY come every EIGHT minutes. The (B) does NOT run on weekends, so what is the hold up or the excuse as to why the trains can't run on time? I'm waiting to hear this one. It's been so bad on weekends that I had to basically cancel one of my on-going meetings on Sundays to basically no longer have to deal with that line because it just takes way too long. It's ridiculous.  A few weekends ago, a train was scheduled to come in eight minutes, but didn't show until almost 15 minutes, so basically that's one train doing the work of two trains.  By the time the train came, of course it was packed.  Passengers aren't the problem.  If you don't have a train when you say there's supposed to be one, the passengers don't disappear with the train that goes missing, so yes it was crowded.  <_<

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, CenSin said:

On weekends, the only time I get screwed is when the (D), (F), (N), and (Q) simultaneously leave the Coney Island terminal in quick succession. Then I have to wait that 10-minutes headway (or whatever the MTA decided for that particular time). Sometimes trains are on a 12-minute or 15-minute headway which the MTA usually does not mention in the service changes.

Exactly, and waiting upwards of 15 minutes for a train (sometimes every 20 minutes on some lines), it basically adds serious time to your commute. This is why I only use the subway when I have to on weekends.  It's too much aggravation otherwise, but even for short trips, it takes wayyy too long.  I don't care where I go anymore, if I'm considering the subway, I immediately check the status board before going down to swipe.  Could just be 57th street to Union Square on the (Q), but I check anyway.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

The (D) train apparently has headways of EIGHT minutes at least going by the countdown clocks I've seen during that time. The problem is they RARELY come every EIGHT minutes. The (B) does NOT run on weekends, so what is the hold up or the excuse as to why the trains can't run on time? 

Flagging, flagging, flagging... It's ridiculous.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/9/2018 at 12:19 PM, kosciusko said:

I really think they should run (B)s on the weekend to 2nd ave/Houston street.

That's exactly what I was thinking...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/9/2018 at 12:19 PM, kosciusko said:

I really think they should run (B)s on the weekend to 2nd ave/Houston street.

Brighton is more in need of service than CPW — and remember that CPW already has 3 services. I’d argue that while a weekend incarnation of the (B) would be nice, increasing (C)(D) and (Q) service instead would provide the same gains with less of a work impact. All of those lines should be running 7.5 tph at least. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, RR503 said:

Brighton is more in need of service than CPW — and remember that CPW already has 3 services. I’d argue that while a weekend incarnation of the (B) would be nice, increasing (C)(D) and (Q) service instead would provide the same gains with less of a work impact. All of those lines should be running 7.5 tph at least. 

(Q) service is fortunately running every 8 minutes on the weekends. Really though, every service that isn't going through construction issues should be running on 8-minute headways during the weekends so that all the transfers can be timed appropriately. Going from 10 minutes to 8 minutes would offer 25% capacity increase on the (C)(D)(E)(F)(J)(M)(N)(R)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Caelestor said:

(Q) service is fortunately running every 8 minutes on the weekends. Really though, every service that isn't going through construction issues should be running on 8-minute headways during the weekends so that all the transfers can be timed appropriately. Going from 10 minutes to 8 minutes would offer 25% capacity increase on the (C)(D)(E)(F)(J)(M)(N)(R)

As much as I agree with this, they’ll just use the same ol’ “construction and track work” excused.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Caelestor said:

(Q) service is fortunately running every 8 minutes on the weekends. Really though, every service that isn't going through construction issues should be running on 8-minute headways during the weekends so that all the transfers can be timed appropriately. Going from 10 minutes to 8 minutes would offer 25% capacity increase on the (C)(D)(E)(F)(J)(M)(N)(R)

I'd be happy with 8 minute off peak (R) headways on weekdays. More than once this spring I've seen a 30 minute gap between trains at like 3-4pm if I leave work early. And all it takes is two delayed/abd/rerouted trains to get to that level. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The (Q) is one of the few reliable B div lines on weekends (at least for me). Its clocks usually overestimate on arrival time versus underestimate on other lines.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, S78 via Hylan said:

As much as I agree with this, they’ll just use the same ol’ “construction and track work” excused.

Or they’ll cry poverty and claim it’ll cost too much to run all those lines on 8-minute headways. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, itmaybeokay said:

I'd be happy with 8 minute off peak (R) headways on weekdays. More than once this spring I've seen a 30 minute gap between trains at like 3-4pm if I leave work early. And all it takes is two delayed/abd/rerouted trains to get to that level. 

Headways on the Bway local never cease to boggle my mind. Usually what I've noticed is that there is an (R) and (W) that arrive within 3-5 minutes of each other, followed by a roughly 12 minute gap in service until the next pair arrives.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I could see weekend (M) trains supplementing with the (F) one day, given how popular the reroute turned out to be for 8 years. The (D) is always a problem at Central Park since the (A) gains more priority, so there's that...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.