B train crawls past Ave M station (with passengers) as @NYGovCuomo inspects rail

Harry

It is too bad that the emperor did not have his photo-op the day before at about 2 PM, then he would have heard an earful from this writer. Thankfully I was spared his presence and thus my blood pressure did not hit the stratosphere.

I hate to say this but since Cynthia Nixon has been running for governor, Cuomo has gone off the deep end. If I was the mayor, I would use this clip and tell members of the riding public, "don't blame me for the delays, blame him" and he would be right.

23 minutes ago, Interested Rider said:

It is too bad that the emperor did not have his photo-op the day before at about 2 PM, then he would have heard an earful from this writer. Thankfully I was spared his presence and thus my blood pressure did not hit the stratosphere.

I hate to say this but since Cynthia Nixon has been running for governor, Cuomo has gone off the deep end. If I was the mayor, I would use this clip and tell members of the riding public, "don't blame me for the delays, blame him" and he would be right.

Yeah but DeBlasio doesn't know how to be forceful. He got stepped on because he'd rather work in the shadows than sunlight.

Cuomo's lucky I'm not mayor cuz he would've got me to agree to ponying up cash, but he would've been forced to reform (MTA) and the state's transit subsidizing statewide to be raid-proof.

1 hour ago, Interested Rider said:

Speaking of Cuomo and Nixon...

https://www.thedailybeast.com/cynthia-nixon-roasts-andrew-cuomo-vote-for-the-homo-not-cuomo

Ed Koch would be proud and also would be laughing.

Anyways though, I find it ridiculous that trains have to go that slow when work is being done during the day. The workers should be able to judge the train's speed at not have it pass at 10 mph because its a "safety hazard". In places like that the limit should be 20 mph or even 25.

Another ridiculous thing is that they force trains to flag even when work is on the platform and trains are running express. 

3 hours ago, R68OnBroadway said:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/cynthia-nixon-roasts-andrew-cuomo-vote-for-the-homo-not-cuomo

Anyways though, I find it ridiculous that trains have to go that slow when work is being done during the day. The workers should be able to judge the train's speed at not have it pass at 10 mph because its a "safety hazard". In places like that the limit should be 20 mph or even 25.

Another ridiculous thing is that they force trains to flag even when work is on the platform and trains are running express. 

The New York Times actually posted another great article today about why trains are delayed the way they are, and apparently before 2007 trains on adjacent tracks could just pass by with no issue: 

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/05/09/nyregion/subway-crisis-mta-decisions-signals-rules.html

4 hours ago, Interested Rider said:

Oh God, don't even get me started on Nixon!  Cuomo and Nixon are essentially competing to see who's more unlikable.  Nixon has no political experience and has given us no reason to believe she will do anything once elected either.  Just another one jumping on the celebrity-turned-politician bandwagon, which needs to die.

No no no - this is appropriate. Let everyone SEE the actual person responsible, ultimately, for pretty much all the delays.

For my part, I have added a special mode to my real-time sign for whenever you're frustrated with the subway. Just say "alexa, mess up the trains" to be reminded who's to blame". (seriously, I built this feature and thats how to enable it) Not pictured, the "Cuomo Suxx" blinks. 

JoTRo6o.jpg

40 minutes ago, Bosco said:

Oh God, don't even get me started on Nixon!  Cuomo and Nixon are essentially competing to see who's more unlikable.  Nixon has no political experience and has given us no reason to believe she will do anything once elected either.  Just another one jumping on the celebrity-turned-politician bandwagon, which needs to die.

I worry about that whole thing. Like, the "fix the trains" platform (no pun intended) is sure to resonate with most of the downstate area - but - she's literally provided not a single substantial detail of what changes she plans to make TO "fix the trains" which - is, uh, problematic. Yes, the whole bandwagon is problematic. 

Luckily, her last name isn't exactly politically viable. 

57 minutes ago, itmaybeokay said:

No no no - this is appropriate. Let everyone SEE the actual person responsible, ultimately, for pretty much all the delays.

For my part, I have added a special mode to my real-time sign for whenever you're frustrated with the subway. Just say "alexa, mess up the trains" to be reminded who's to blame". (seriously, I built this feature and thats how to enable it) Not pictured, the "Cuomo Suxx" blinks. 

JoTRo6o.jpg

I worry about that whole thing. Like, the "fix the trains" platform (no pun intended) is sure to resonate with most of the downstate area - but - she's literally provided not a single substantial detail of what changes she plans to make TO "fix the trains" which - is, uh, problematic. Yes, the whole bandwagon is problematic. 

Luckily, her last name isn't exactly politically viable. 

I'd rather have the other Nixon... he may have played dirty but that's the only way to get shit done in NYS.

I'm starting to wonder if a Republican could win this year... Democratic vote could be divided.

5 hours ago, R68OnBroadway said:

Oh my god, that article... I died laughing at

"Linking the process of coming out as gay to Cuomo being an allegedly fake Democrat, Nixon said: “I think it’s time for Andrew Cuomo to come out as a Republican. The rumors have been out there for years. He’s not fooling anyone. Who knows why he’s stayed in the closet this long.”

As far as a Republican winning the governorship this year, it is possible as both Cuomo and Nixon will be listed on the minor party lines on the ballot  in more than one place  and that drives everyone up a wall on election day. In the presidential election, I think Hillary Clinton was listed on 3 different lines and Donald Trump on two different lines and some voters saw this and became confused. Many people made the mistake  of marking twice for the same person and they had to go back to the table to get another ballot. i can see someone winning the governor's race with 35% of the vote in the general election this year. Whoever gets elected is going to have a major problem with the budget as if past patterns are correct, the state taxpayers learn that the state has a fiscal crisis a day or two after the  election.

What the emperor did by his actions was to delay the equipment testing which is done on the southbound express track and was scheduled for that day from about 

10 AM to 3 PM during the week. The only reason that I schlepped up the stairs on Monday was that both the southbound B and Q were running local to Kings Highway. 

10 hours ago, R68OnBroadway said:

Agreed. 10mph is unnecessarily slow being that work was being done on the adjacent track.

The trains are slow enough and with all these newly added bullsh*t timers it's almost as if they're purposely trying to slow the system down.

3 hours ago, brakethrow said:

Agreed. 10mph is unnecessarily slow being that work was being done on the adjacent track.

The trains are slow enough and with all these newly added bullsh*t timers it's almost as if they're purposely trying to slow the system down.

I've come to the same conclusion. Otherwise it doesn't make sense.

5 hours ago, brakethrow said:

A Lot of you rail fans post certain things but never really experienced why things are the way they are! I'm just saying! You'd Be surprised at the shit I've seen my Co workers do while going thru that work zone. but i'd raise it to 15mph. 

But us train operators "have" to follow the S.O.F.T.Y 10 Rule

10mph

• Over Switches,
  • Other then Head car movement
  • Flagging
  • Tracks ending in a bumper block &
  • the Yard!

6 minutes ago, I Run Trains said:

A Lot of you rail fans post certain things but never really experienced why things are the way they are! I'm just saying! You'd Be surprised at the shit I've seen my Co workers do while going thru that work zone. but i'd raise it to 15mph. 

10mph

• Over Switches,
  • Flagging
  • the Yard!

It's a mess.  I think we the passengers have to demand change from the top on down.  Despite all of the promises of improvements and "investments", nothing has changed and quite frankly they haven't stabilized anything.  The system is worsening as is the crowding and it's more evident by the day.  This year I've had to ditch trips by subway more than I can ever recall, including last night. It's beyond frustrating.  Wasted time and a waste of money.

I don't even know how the workers can use the subways and get to work on time. They must all drive in, otherwise there's no way the employees would make it.  They'd need to give themselves at least 30 - 45 minutes more for the exact same trip, and even that may not be enough.

1 minute ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

It's a mess.  I think we the passengers have to demand change from the top on down.  Despite all of the promises of improvements and "investments", nothing has changed and quite frankly they haven't stabilized anything.  The system is worsening as is the crowding and it's more evident by the day.  This year I've had to ditch trips by subway more than I can ever recall, including last night. It's beyond frustrating.  Wasted time and a waste of money.

I don't even know how the workers can use the subways and get to work on time. They must all drive in, otherwise there's no way the employees would make it.  They'd need to give themselves at least 30 - 45 minutes more for the exact same trip, and even that may not be enough.

When are you NOT Complaining on here?!?!? Just curious!

10 hours ago, Interested Rider said:

As far as a Republican winning the governorship this year, it is possible as both Cuomo and Nixon will be listed on the minor party lines on the ballot  in more than one place  and that drives everyone up a wall on election day. In the presidential election, I think Hillary Clinton was listed on 3 different lines and Donald Trump on two different lines and some voters saw this and became confused. Many people made the mistake  of marking twice for the same person and they had to go back to the table to get another ballot. i can see someone winning the governor's race with 35% of the vote in the general election this year. Whoever gets elected is going to have a major problem with the budget as if past patterns are correct, the state taxpayers learn that the state has a fiscal crisis a day or two after the  election.

What the emperor did by his actions was to delay the equipment testing which is done on the southbound express track and was scheduled for that day from about 

10 AM to 3 PM during the week. The only reason that I schlepped up the stairs on Monday was that both the southbound B and Q were running local to Kings Highway. 

The state has a crisis and there's no easy fix.  Taxes are too high, people are RUNNING out of the state, and that means the tax base is shrinking if you exclude the growth here Downstate.  it's a big problem indeed because the (MTA) can never have enough funding no matter what and we can't just add monies from the sky to fund them.

2 minutes ago, I Run Trains said:

When are you NOT Complaining on here?!?!? Just curious!

When service is running as it should, which is RARELY!! Why don't you spill the beans though.  How do you commute to work? If it's by subway, there's no way in hell you get there without giving yourself an extreme cushion.  I'd like to hear from the workers as well instead of essentially ignoring the elephant in the room.

6 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

When service is running as it should, which is RARELY!! Why don't you spill the beans though.  How do you commute to work? If it's by subway, there's no way in hell you get there without giving yourself an extreme cushion.  I'd like to hear from the workers as well instead of essentially ignoring the elephant in the room.

How do i get to work?!?!? Well..... I DRIVE BECAUSE I DON'T LIVE IN NEW YORK CITY! And where i live, the time i have to be to work in the morning, The Metro North aint running at the time..... AND for those that do take the train, If we are late because of train service, all we have to do is give them the train call letters, or car numbers and they will know what happened... we are covered IF thats the case!

1 minute ago, I Run Trains said:

How do i get to work?!?!? Well..... I DRIVE BECAUSE I DON'T LIVE IN NEW YORK CITY! And where i live, the time i have to be to work in the morning, The Metro North aint running at the time..... AND for those that do take the train, If we are late because of train service, all we have to do is give them the train call letters, or car numbers and they will know what happened... we are covered IF thats the case!

That explains a lot. Carry on...

I visit  MTA Info many times during the day even when I am not traveling to see what is going on the buses and subways.,

As I stated in a previous post, this past Monday I went shopping to my favorite store on Avenue M and I remember that when I checked the website, it was written that southbound B trains were running local from Prospect Park to Kings Highway till May 24 for equipment testing. When I exit the station, I always check the postings for the current week and the weekend on the board located on the north side of the northbound platform before i go down the steps. Again, I remembered that the posting for this week stated exactly the same thing that the website stated on Monday.

On or about 2:15 PM today, I checked the MTA info website and found that now the listing for May 7 - May 11 stated what i remembered reading on Monday that B trains would run local southbound from Prospect Park to Kings Highway  but it added except May 9. It is bad enough that a photo-op for the governor was done but then to post something a day after the event occurred seems to indicate to me that the governor's stunt backfired on him. Everyone knows that this was just a gimmick that was designed to show that he was doing something  in this election year when he  and his friends did nothing since he was elected in November 2010  except to show up on the subway during election time. As far as the MTA info website is concerned, I wonder what planet that some of them are on as when delays are posted, they write statements that are not accurate for buses in terms of the streets involved  

What this proved to me was once again we are being treated to a political charade with the end result that once the election is over, nothing will change until the promises that are made for the next election cycle.

7 hours ago, I Run Trains said:

10mph

• Over Switches,
  • Flagging
  • the Yard!

I understand but do you think crawling past track work on an adjacent track is neccessary ?

1 hour ago, Interested Rider said:

As far as the MTA info website is concerned, I wonder what planet that some of them are on as when delays are posted, they write statements that are not accurate for buses in terms of the streets involved  

Let me tell you something... A lot of these employees do NOT use the system and don't give a damn what is posted. Once they leave the job, they hop in their cars and go home.  They're not the ones suffering on the buses and subways.  There was a time when I think more of them used the system like my uncle who only drove to the depot on weekends, otherwise he relied on public transportation to get to the depot. I know of a few B/Os that actually rely on public transportation, but most have cars.  They don't even know things like the different Metrocards.  You're lucky if they know the fare for the very buses and trains that they drive/steer.  

Archived