B train crawls past Ave M station (with passengers) as @NYGovCuomo inspects rail

Harry

24 minutes ago, brakethrow said:

I understand but do you think crawling past track work on an adjacent track is neccessary ?

I think I understand what you're getting at but, depending on the work being done,  it's usually on an adjacent track and not the one the train is operating on. The whole premise of flagging and speed limits encompasses an area and it's definitely necessary.  

As if employees want to be stuck in the tunnel when they have o take a crap and to weigh if caloing RCC is worth a note in your file. And a car doesnt save you  when you have a 9hr (C) job where you park at Pitkin and end at 168 at midnight when fast track closes CPW/8TH ave that car does you no good, if anything it's a liability...now you have a 2hr back track plus drive home.

Point being employees ride the train all the time. even when they do have cars, you end up driving to a parkable area then taking the train in, unless you have seniority to pick a job with a put in and lay up to the yard.

42 minutes ago, Jsunflyguy said:

As if employees want to be stuck in the tunnel when they have o take a crap and to weigh if caloing RCC is worth a note in your file. And a car doesnt save you  when you have a 9hr (C) job where you park at Pitkin and end at 168 at midnight when fast track closes CPW/8TH ave that car does you no good, if anything it's a liability...now you have a 2hr back track plus drive home.

Point being employees ride the train all the time. even when they do have cars, you end up driving to a parkable area then taking the train in, unless you have seniority to pick a job with a put in and lay up to the yard.

They're not depending on public transportation to get to work though.  They DRIVE to work in most cases.

1 hour ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

They're not depending on public transportation to get to work though.  They DRIVE to work in most cases.

As long as you're riding (MTA) subway or bus there's no consequences if you happen to be late. I rode the train from New Lots Avenue to 239th yard or Lenox yard five days a week after becoming a M/M. That's after riding from New Lots to Lenox, Dyre or 241 st as a C/R. I owned a car the whole time but we were warned from Day One that we were issued a pass for a reason. An accident on the Belt Parkway or the Cross Bronx resulting in your lateness , no matter whom was at fault, meant a write-up and being sent home without pay. I've signed on at Westchester yard and finished at East New York Yard, signed on at Corona and finished at 38th St yard in Brooklyn as a work train M/M so I think your hypothesis is somewhat too general.  Most of the folks I worked with who are still on the job don't drive if at all possible. In RTO, at least, attendance and punctuality is what would make you or break you. I've seen non-probationary folks in RTO terminated for attendance. Carry on.

1 minute ago, Trainmaster5 said:

As long as you're riding (MTA) subway or bus there's no consequences if you happen to be late. I rode the train from New Lots Avenue to 239th yard or Lenox yard five days a week after becoming a M/M. That's after riding from New Lots to Lenox, Dyre or 241 st as a C/R. I owned a car the whole time but we were warned from Day One that we were issued a pass for a reason. An accident on the Belt Parkway or the Cross Bronx resulting in your lateness , no matter whom was at fault, meant a write-up and being sent home without pay. I've signed on at Westchester yard and finished at East New York Yard, signed on at Corona and finished at 38th St yard in Brooklyn as a work train M/M so I think your hypothesis is somewhat too general.  Most of the folks I worked with who are still on the job don't drive if at all possible. In RTO, at least, attendance and punctuality is what would make you or break you. I've seen non-probationary folks in RTO terminated for attendance. Carry on.

I'm thinking overall, not just with RTOs.  If we're looking at the whole operation (especially depots), those guys generally drive.  More and more (MTA) workers don't live in NYC so they kind of have to unless they have an apartment they can crash at during the work week. I know of some guys that even live in the Poconos or Connecticut.  My uncle lived in NYC and NJ.  As he became older, he would usually drive.  When he took the bus when he lived in NYC, he used to fume about late buses in the early morning though which would make him almost arrive late to his depot.

As I've said if you have a split job that starts in one location and ends in another (which is a lot of the  (A)(B)(C)(D)(Q) and a good deal of A-Division if you live in Brooklyn you will at best drive to point A and take the subway to point B or vice versa so their the lower end of the seniority still commutes on the subway one way or the other. 

6 hours ago, MTA Bus said:

I just wanna know why neither Cuomo or Lhota was not wearing vests or anything appropriate.

Let's do hypotheticals here...

A: Because when it comes to the Emepror and his Mistress, the rules do not apply to them, and as long as it doesn't involve getting someone fired it is all fine.

Guess what! Now the emperor is off to Israel for a photo op there! Next week on to somewhere else in the state, country or the world for another press conference and an opportunity for a photo op.

Bob Woodward  wrote "the worst place to be is between Chuck Schumer and a camera",  however I am beginning to believe that it should now read the worst place to be is between Andrew Cuomo or Chuck Schumer and a camera".

Something is bothering the emperor so much so that it appears that something is wrong with him. Could it be that Cynthia Nixon is the straw that broke the camel's back or is  it Shelly Silver (awaiting a verdict) Dean (Skelos) (next on the docket) or Joe (Percoco) (convicted and possibly singing like a canary) is the reason that the governor is so jumpy? I do not remember a campaign where the incumbent governor acted this way and I go back to the Rockefeller campaigns. For the record, I do remember candidates who acted this way and thankfully they were defeated at the polls.

If the governor keeps acting like this, he may be defeated and not other candidates but by himself.

On ‎5‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 10:27 AM, I Run Trains said:

How do i get to work?!?!? Well..... I DRIVE BECAUSE I DON'T LIVE IN NEW YORK CITY! And where i live, the time i have to be to work in the morning, The Metro North aint running at the time..... AND for those that do take the train, If we are late because of train service, all we have to do is give them the train call letters, or car numbers and they will know what happened... we are covered IF thats the case!

Let's be honest, NO average commuter is going to pay attention to the car number's of the train.

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

BTW, does it work if a worker needs to take the bus to work? (They give the bus number and they see if the bus was actually late)

They ask us for bus #, run/route, and the farebox number. I was late heading to Yukon once. This was one of the days that they were protesting Trump's election. Hopped on the X1 at Park Place and it took a whole hour and change just to get to the tunnel.

On 5/9/2018 at 11:02 PM, R68OnBroadway said:

I'd rather have the other Nixon... he may have played dirty but that's the only way to get shit done in NYS.

I'm starting to wonder if a Republican could win this year... Democratic vote could be divided.

Like make sure drugs were spread around the Black community?

Can't trust a Nixon as far as I can throw them.

On 5/23/2018 at 7:36 PM, LTA1992 said:

Like make sure drugs were spread around the Black community?

Can't trust a Nixon as far as I can throw them.

I was joking about that... just said it to show how I don't really want another politician-turned celebrity who really won't get anything done.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/10/2018 at 4:43 AM, brakethrow said:

Agreed. 10mph is unnecessarily slow being that work was being done on the adjacent track.

The trains are slow enough and with all these newly added bullsh*t timers it's almost as if they're purposely trying to slow the system down.

In an open area like that, yes, 10 is way too slow and should be kicked up to 15 or 20 mph. In areas where there isn’t as much space, like tunnels, 10 is really more than fast enough.

Archived